Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:24 AM   #1
darkanddivine
macrumors member

Mid 2012 sMBP / late 2012 21" iMac

So, doing a little research on my next purchase and it seems that a user can put an SSD as well as a 16gb in the MBP themselves. This comes in at a cost of around the same as the new iMac, with 16gb and Fusion Drive based on a few estimates I've done. Although we'll find full costs out for sure at the end of the week.

Has anybody any thoughts on which of these solutions would work best in terms of long term usage? By adding the SSD and RAM to the Macbook, or would that machine perform differently to something made BTO by Apple? I'm happy to look inside a machine to change a few pieces, but I've not heard much about how self upgraded laptops perform long term. And also by doing this, could you run 2 SSD drives in the MBP?
darkanddivine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:10 AM   #2
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
So, doing a little research on my next purchase and it seems that a user can put an SSD as well as a 16gb in the MBP themselves. This comes in at a cost of around the same as the new iMac, with 16gb and Fusion Drive based on a few estimates I've done. Although we'll find full costs out for sure at the end of the week.

Has anybody any thoughts on which of these solutions would work best in terms of long term usage? By adding the SSD and RAM to the Macbook, or would that machine perform differently to something made BTO by Apple? I'm happy to look inside a machine to change a few pieces, but I've not heard much about how self upgraded laptops perform long term. And also by doing this, could you run 2 SSD drives in the MBP?
What the **** is a sMBP?
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:18 AM   #3
ZacT94
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Taken View Post
What the **** is a sMBP?
Maybe an MBP with an SSD?
ZacT94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:28 AM   #4
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacT94 View Post
Maybe an MBP with an SSD?
too many acronyms, really helps if people use the standard MBP prefix that everyone knows.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:32 AM   #5
darkanddivine
macrumors member

Is there an acronym format? Humble apologies if so, I am talking about the Macbookpro you can open up (standard?)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Is there an acronym format? Humble apologies if so, I am talking about the Macbookpro you can open up (standard?)
My profanity above was in jest, a Macbook Pro is often shortened to rMBP (Retina Macbook Pro) and cMBP (Current or classic Macbook Pro) and uMBP (Unibody Macbook Pro)

Yours at a guess is a new macbook pro unibody? Might be easier to just say which year it is?

If it's a unibody you can of course perform upgrades. Apple's BTO models are often at a premium in comparison to self install. Performing your own install is cheaper and often faster. Many options are around, is your machine SATA 3 capable? If it is look at an applicable SSD. You can also install a optical bay caddy in the machine (You obviously forgo the Optical Disk Drive) it gives you more options such as SSD and large capacity hard drive 1TB perhaps, or two SSD's in RAID 0 for performance. All options to yourself that are reliable as Apple's offerings and often much, much faster. If you need a caddy for a SSD in the optical bay I highly recommend the website I link to in my signature, just look for the applicable caddy on their website.

Last edited by All Taken; Nov 29, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:36 AM   #7
darkanddivine
macrumors member

I don't have one at present, I was just contemplating my next purchase,

I'm between the 15" MBP standard and a specced up iMac. I was musing on the idea that one purchase avenue is to potentially add 2 SSD's to the current MBP which is user upgradeable and I was just wondering what usage people had out of upgrading their MBP's, and is it bad to do that to the machine?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice