Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
People like you is the reason why this planet is going to hell.

OT:
I use a screen protector and a case, but I'm thinking of going without the case, since it looks better and in the end it's just a phone.

I paid for a service that I intend to use... nothing wrong with that. It's not as if it's free.

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
I have a custom front and back glass that is completely transparent. The backplate is cracked quite a bit on the bottom left, the front isn't cracked but doesn't look very clean or new. The glass lens is missing from the backplate and I am pretty sure every modular part of the device has been replaced with third party parts. It still runs just as good as it did the day I bought it. I'd say I am not very "anal" about it. :apple: :eek: :apple:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I try to keep the front free of scratches and that's it. I don't care about what the back looks like and I care even less about resale value. However, considering what Apple charges for these devices, I wouldn't accept scratches or dings out of the box. I don't think that's anal at all.

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I don't think I'm anal, just careful. I'm always mindful of how I hold the phone and where I put it, I try to put it in pockets by itself. I have a beautiful case I bought on etsy. Granted, it's not a "defender", but it's made of pretty sturdy plastic which offers enough protection while still being sleek and sexy and complementing my phone nicely. :cool: I have a zagg hd screen protector which is quite nice, and the spigen glas tr protector on the way. It was $20 black friday so I couldn't resist. And once in a while, I wipe my phone down, front and back, with a microfiber cloth just to keep it looking extra nice.

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I paid for a service that I intend to use... nothing wrong with that. It's not as if it's free.

Now when Applecare is $200 with a $100 fee, I trust you and everyone else who purposely breaks their phones won't start whining.

You're misusing and abusing the service you paid for and eventually Apple will raise prices on us all because of it, mark my words.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Now when Applecare is $200 with a $100 fee, I trust you and everyone else who purposely breaks their phones won't start whining.

You're misusing and abusing the service you paid for and eventually Apple will raise prices on us all because of it, mark my words.

They knew what this was.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I am OCD for the first month or so

Usually I buy the most protective case but after awhile I get bored and want to play with the phone so I buy a slimmer case or just use it bare

Unboxing the phone I am pretty intense but actually for my iPhone 5 I kept getting scratched phones. Eventually I returned for a white and it has two Small minor scratches on the silver bezel but who cares at least it's not a defective battery for screen

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I am a bit anal for the moment since i don't have a case or screen protector. I really love how the black ip5 looks so i would like to keep it looking flawless as long as i can. I keep my phone is a suede nintendo ds pouch that i have lol

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I'm pretty much obsessive over my products, everything, not just my iPhone.
I'll keep it safe, warm and cradled and make sure nothing happens to it.

The second a mark/scratch/chip etc. appears, it becomes a normal tool, because in the long run, thats all it is, a phone.

red5ive

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Not anal at all. Don't put a case on it and I let my kids play with it. Improbably, they've been careful with my phones over the years and haven't caused any damage.

The back isn't wearing too well on the 5 though, especially since my 9-wk old lab puppy snagged it off our coffee table when I stepped away to use the bathroom last week. She left a couple of light scratches on the back, but didn't dent it or scratch the front glass.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
My thing is to simply avoid any situation that could put my phone in a position to be knocked around, dropped, in contact with liquid, etc. I don't let other people use my iPhone and when I'm not using it, it stays in my left side pants pocket with nothing else ever going in that pocket. This allows me to keep my iPhone naked or in a very subtle case like the Incase Snap Case it's in right now.

I've never dropped, scratched, dented, or otherwise harmed any of my phones. Sometimes I see my GF put a glass of water or cup of tea right beside her MacBook or 4S and I start to panic :p.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I put a good screen protector (PS Crystal) and a case with some protection (a lip of some sort on front and made of impact-absorbing material) and then I don't worry about it. I've dropped mine, let kids play with it, etc. with no ill effects. I like to keep it fairly pristine so it sells well on CL when I upgrade but I'm not going to obsess over it. The one thing I am anal about is a clean touch screen on both my iPad and iPhone. A smeary screen grosses me out plus the germs we all pass around on our hands are scary.:eek:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Things I'm obsessed with keeping nice and clean:

1. My car
2. My iPhone

Everything I own I take care of though, and try to keep as nice as possible for as long as possible. Just the other day I finally got rid of a pair of 6 year old shoes just because the bottoms basically fell off.

When I spend money on something, I make sure to take care of it and make it last physically.

Things that I do with my iPhone that are probably weird:
1. Usually carry in my hand as to not get pocket lint/dirt/dust in the speaker grills, earpiece, etc
2. Wipe the screen a few times a day
3. Dont like taking outside when it's raining, or any sort of precipitation is falling
4. I dont take it out to bars

I dont have insurance on my iPhone, by the way... so I'm extra careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.