Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hi all, i've got a Motorola SB5100 here from 2004. it has worked flawlessly and i haven't any issues at all: sub 20 pings to local gaming servers, no drop outs, no lag, 2mb download speeds. it's been perfect. however, i don't have wireless access to my ipod and a couple other devices i'd like to access wirelessly. telstra sent out a netgear CGD24N, which is a cable modem/router. however, i've heard this isn't too great. i'd really like to keep my SB5100 as i've had no issues, but wireless would be nice.

is there a way for me to keep using the SB5100? could i just get a plain router? i don't mind low performance over wi-fi, but i just want to keep the great performance i've got through the wired connection. wouldn't i lose performance by plugging in the plain router?

is there any way i can measure performance between the modems? i'd like to run some tests on the SB5100 and then do some tests on either the netgear CGD24N or just the plain router and then compare them and pick one to use.

is there a program or script in the command prompt for me to check performance over a few hours?

i haven't been able to decide and would appreciate some advice.
please help me!

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Have you ever thought about sharing your connected mac internet connection over Airport?
But, then it needs to be always on.

yah i've got it setup now where the mac mini has its own network. i can access videos and music from the iPod touch wirelessly. however, it says "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address *** and will not be able to connect to the internet."

is this what you mean by 'Airport'?

thanks

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have you ever thought about sharing your connected mac internet connection over Airport?
But, then it needs to be always on.

yah i've got it setup now where the mac mini has its own network. i can access videos and music from the iPod touch wirelessly. however, it says "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address *** and will not be able to connect to the internet."

is this what you mean by 'Airport'?

thanks

What I meant in my post is the following.
Your mac seems to be connected by wire to the router, the mac is connected to the internet, you can share that Mac's internet wirelessly by doing the following.
Go into System Preferences and in the sharing Panel click on internet sharing, there is a drop down Menu called 'Share Your Connection from:' , set that one to Ethernet and in the panel below check the airport box, after this check the box internet sharing on the left to start internet sharing, it will ask you if you want to start it, click yes.
Note, there is also a drop down for option in Airport, it will allow you to set a password for the network.
Airport is Apple's name for their wireless protocol, you should have build in Wireless adapter and Apple calls that Airport.

however, it says "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address *** and will not be able to connect to the internet.

On which device does it say that?
FYI, if you get 169.XXX.XXX.X(XX) you never have any connection on any device, it is more or less standard that if you see this number you have NO connection.

If the sharing is on and you get an IP like that on the Mac which shares it don't panic, I never understood that, sometimes it shows a normal IP and sometimes it won't, some kind of bug there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.