Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:48 AM   #26
iPersian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
even though the rumors is proven to be false, so far at least, keep posting with week no and manufacturer. thanks
iPersian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:21 AM   #27
flipnap
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
werent the samsung panels coming in with a lot of dead pixels?
__________________
rMBP 2.6/16/512 and loving every second of it
flipnap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:25 AM   #28
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnap View Post
werent the samsung panels coming in with a lot of dead pixels?
Not mine.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:59 AM   #29
jaqueh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Week 42 no image retention LG display
jaqueh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:26 AM   #30
millerrh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqueh View Post
Week 42 no image retention LG display
I wonder how many LG displays don't have image retention after a few months. Reading these forums you'd think they all have it eventually.
millerrh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:25 PM   #31
bobr1952
macrumors 68000
 
bobr1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
I wonder how many LG displays don't have image retention after a few months. Reading these forums you'd think they all have it eventually.
"reading these forums" is the key there--not very representative of this problem as a whole since you mostly only read about complaints on forums. My advice was and still is to just enjoy your rMBP and if it develops problems of any kind, take in in for repair.
__________________
2012 rMPB, 2.3 Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram, 256 SSD; 2008 iMac, 24", 2GB, 500GB; Time Capsule 500GB (1st Gen); ATV3; ATV2; Airport Express; Black 64GB iPhone 4S; Black iPad Air, 32GB, wi-fi
bobr1952 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Hpye
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I bought it 3 weeks ago and mine is week 39 . People who got week 40 and up, when did you guys purchased it. Why did I get an old laptop from week 39
__________________
MacBook pro 13", iPhone 4s 32gb white, iphone 5, samsung galaxy s3, ipad mini slate/black MacBook Pro Retina Display 15"
Hpye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #33
anarti
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Scotland
I bought mine on 8th of November, arrived week later, it was shipped from china to UK.
anarti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:02 PM   #34
Hpye
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarti View Post
I bought mine on 8th of November, arrived week later, it was shipped from china to UK.
i bought it from local apple store so may be it was shipped there long time ago. But yours shipped directly from China so you got newer model
__________________
MacBook pro 13", iPhone 4s 32gb white, iphone 5, samsung galaxy s3, ipad mini slate/black MacBook Pro Retina Display 15"
Hpye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:49 PM   #35
sno1man
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
I wonder how many LG displays don't have image retention after a few months. Reading these forums you'd think they all have it eventually.
It's hard to tell. I have two of the 15 inch retinas bought on the same day in late June. Both have LG screens

My personal machine started developing the symptoms about 3 weeks ago and got bad enough (seeing shadows and lines just switching web pages) that I took it in and Apple replaced the screen.

The other unit gets at least as much use as mine and so far shows no symptoms.

BTW: When Apple repaired my machine they replaced the screen with a Samsung screen. I can confirm that it does look a bit different than the old screen but it's arguable if it's better or worse. I suspect I could make either screen look like the other if I tweaked the calibration a bit.
sno1man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:57 PM   #36
eviltotoro
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpye View Post
I bought it 3 weeks ago and mine is week 39 . People who got week 40 and up, when did you guys purchased it. Why did I get an old laptop from week 39
Mine is a Samsung display week 46 model, did a BTO on Nov.12th. Took a week to get here from China.
eviltotoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:02 PM   #37
tivoboy
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2005
ordered

I just ordered my third, prior two were LG, one bad IR, one low brightness, which was just silly.

Hopefully, this one BTO 2.6/16/256 will be a good sammy.

Funny thing was that I ordered yesterday, and it already shipped from China.
tivoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:18 PM   #38
iPersian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
i believe that ALL LGs will eventually show image retention. they have all been manufactured in the same way.

i have personally seen 4 LGs, all with IR.

i also believe that many people dont notice it until you tell about them as this was the case of the three LG screens i tested. All had happy costumers until i showed up ;-)

At a local apple store i visited all LGs had IR and the salesmen didnt know.

I also believe that Apple doesnt have any real interest in fixing this as it is too widespread. only better manufacturing by LG will solve this.

After two returns ive given up and waiting for the Haswell update and a certain fix before i give my money to Apple.
iPersian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:29 PM   #39
nolegirl01
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoboi187 View Post
True, Samsung = yellow warmer tint & LG = blue cooler tint
Not necessarily...I have a RMBP with a Samsung screen from week 33 (August) and it is completely fine. No IR. I took it to an apple store to compare to the ones they have on display and I found a LG screen and the LG's screen looked a bit warmer than mine...
__________________
15'' rMBP 2.6/16/512 iPod Classic iPad 2 Silver iPhone 6 128GB
nolegirl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:13 PM   #40
ronaldcastillo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
I just ordered my third, prior two were LG, one bad IR, one low brightness, which was just silly.

Hopefully, this one BTO 2.6/16/256 will be a good sammy.

Funny thing was that I ordered yesterday, and it already shipped from China.
Ordered mines on Thanksgiving day, got shipped out on the same day also. Turned out to be a LG display. Debating if I should keep this or just get a iMac 27-inch instead.
ronaldcastillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:58 PM   #41
iPersian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldcastillo View Post
Ordered mines on Thanksgiving day, got shipped out on the same day also. Turned out to be a LG display. Debating if I should keep this or just get a iMac 27-inch instead.
on which site did you check yours for the week no? do both sites give you the same week no? they shouldnt so there is a small chance that yours is perhaps earlier.
iPersian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:10 PM   #42
jaqueh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPersian View Post
i believe that ALL LGs will eventually show image retention. they have all been manufactured in the same way.

i have personally seen 4 LGs, all with IR.

i also believe that many people dont notice it until you tell about them as this was the case of the three LG screens i tested. All had happy costumers until i showed up ;-)

At a local apple store i visited all LGs had IR and the salesmen didnt know.

I also believe that Apple doesnt have any real interest in fixing this as it is too widespread. only better manufacturing by LG will solve this.

After two returns ive given up and waiting for the Haswell update and a certain fix before i give my money to Apple.
You're right, mine is definitely showing IR on the dock. I checked by making a grey image fullscreen. Wow, that sucks, I finally got my colors to be calibrated and not I'm getting this problem
jaqueh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:58 PM   #43
Jack9034
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpye View Post
I bought it 3 weeks ago and mine is week 39 . People who got week 40 and up, when did you guys purchased it. Why did I get an old laptop from week 39
Yours isn't that old compared to mine. I bought one last week and it was week 25.
Jack9034 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:24 AM   #44
M5RahuL
macrumors 65832
 
M5RahuL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Everywhere I go...there I am !
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegirl01 View Post
Not necessarily...I have a RMBP with a Samsung screen from week 33 (August) and it is completely fine. No IR. I took it to an apple store to compare to the ones they have on display and I found a LG screen and the LG's screen looked a bit warmer than mine...
This has been my experience too !!
__________________
15" rMBP 2.3'16' 512 iAir LTE iMini-R LTE
Mid '13 13" rMBP 2.4' 8'256 ; SG iP6+ 64GB ; Note 3 & 4
M5RahuL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:33 AM   #45
Hpye
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5RahuL View Post
This has been my experience too !!
Is warmer the screen the better?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegirl01 View Post
Not necessarily...I have a RMBP with a Samsung screen from week 33 (August) and it is completely fine. No IR. I took it to an apple store to compare to the ones they have on display and I found a LG screen and the LG's screen looked a bit warmer than mine...


is warmer the screen the better?
__________________
MacBook pro 13", iPhone 4s 32gb white, iphone 5, samsung galaxy s3, ipad mini slate/black MacBook Pro Retina Display 15"
Hpye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:46 AM   #46
lebbeus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
week 47. samsung no dead pixels.


For what it's worth it's definitely a brighter screen with sharper text but the colours don't pop as much and the blacks aren't as deep imho. If they worked out the IR issues and made the LG brighter i'd say it is a superior image.

Still calibrating but that's my initial impressions.

This was my 3rd attempt after returning 2 LGs to my local store (one with IR). This computer will last me 4-5 hopefully so i wanted to be happy. Time to finally retire my trusty 2008 MacBook Pro.

Good luck everyone.
lebbeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:54 AM   #47
MUBiomed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Week 46 base model with samsung panel. Perfect as far as I can tell so far except for a slight blemish underneath the screen. Imperceptible when the computer is on. Of course no one else would probably even notice it except for one of us...
__________________
13" rMBP 2.6GHz/8GB/512GB SSD Retina iPad Mini 16GB iPhone 6 64GB x2 ATV 3 Various iPods
MUBiomed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:37 PM   #48
aware
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Only one person with LG after week 45? Anyone else? If not, the "rumor" proves to be quite accurate with an exception. Btw, those with samsung screen, do you notice a slight yellow bias towards the left?
aware is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:42 PM   #49
millerrh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by aware View Post
Only one person with LG after week 45? Anyone else? If not, the "rumor" proves to be quite accurate with an exception. Btw, those with samsung screen, do you notice a slight yellow bias towards the left?
My week 48 comes tomorrow so I'll be sure to let you guys know.
millerrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:48 PM   #50
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoboi187 View Post
I've heard crap where LG owners think they're screen is superior and argue positively about their screens to make themselves feel better. Human nature.
The only crap I've heard is this.

Since if you knew sod all about it, you'd be able to logically weigh up the two screens. Knowing that the LG has better blacks, and better colour reproduction, whilst the samsung has better whites, and is brighter.

Which is "better" depends on the person - not some half-arsed trolling comment
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My one week with a rMBP steveh552 MacBook Pro 30 Feb 16, 2014 02:47 PM
Brand new 13" rMBP memory and screen issues biglipps66 MacBook Pro 2 Jan 7, 2014 01:25 PM
What is your screen brand and did it have any issues? (15'' rMBP Owners) Starfyre MacBook Pro 56 Nov 11, 2013 06:12 AM
15" rMBP First Week Impressions Arpetee MacBook Pro 9 Feb 11, 2013 04:39 PM
What week is my rMBP? insimbi MacBook Pro 2 Aug 15, 2012 02:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC