Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I wonder how many LG displays don't have image retention after a few months. Reading these forums you'd think they all have it eventually.

"reading these forums" is the key there--not very representative of this problem as a whole since you mostly only read about complaints on forums. My advice was and still is to just enjoy your rMBP and if it develops problems of any kind, take in in for repair.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I bought it 3 weeks ago and mine is week 39 . People who got week 40 and up, when did you guys purchased it. Why did I get an old laptop from week 39

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I bought mine on 8th of November, arrived week later, it was shipped from china to UK.

i bought it from local apple store so may be it was shipped there long time ago. But yours shipped directly from China so you got newer model

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
I wonder how many LG displays don't have image retention after a few months. Reading these forums you'd think they all have it eventually.

It's hard to tell. I have two of the 15 inch retinas bought on the same day in late June. Both have LG screens

My personal machine started developing the symptoms about 3 weeks ago and got bad enough (seeing shadows and lines just switching web pages) that I took it in and Apple replaced the screen.

The other unit gets at least as much use as mine and so far shows no symptoms.

BTW: When Apple repaired my machine they replaced the screen with a Samsung screen. I can confirm that it does look a bit different than the old screen but it's arguable if it's better or worse. I suspect I could make either screen look like the other if I tweaked the calibration a bit.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
ordered

I just ordered my third, prior two were LG, one bad IR, one low brightness, which was just silly.

Hopefully, this one BTO 2.6/16/256 will be a good sammy.

Funny thing was that I ordered yesterday, and it already shipped from China.

iPersian

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
i believe that ALL LGs will eventually show image retention. they have all been manufactured in the same way.

i have personally seen 4 LGs, all with IR.

i also believe that many people dont notice it until you tell about them as this was the case of the three LG screens i tested. All had happy costumers until i showed up ;-)

At a local apple store i visited all LGs had IR and the salesmen didnt know.

I also believe that Apple doesnt have any real interest in fixing this as it is too widespread. only better manufacturing by LG will solve this.

After two returns ive given up and waiting for the Haswell update and a certain fix before i give my money to Apple.

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
True, Samsung = yellow warmer tint & LG = blue cooler tint

Not necessarily...I have a RMBP with a Samsung screen from week 33 (August) and it is completely fine. No IR. I took it to an apple store to compare to the ones they have on display and I found a LG screen and the LG's screen looked a bit warmer than mine...

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I just ordered my third, prior two were LG, one bad IR, one low brightness, which was just silly.

Hopefully, this one BTO 2.6/16/256 will be a good sammy.

Funny thing was that I ordered yesterday, and it already shipped from China.

Ordered mines on Thanksgiving day, got shipped out on the same day also. Turned out to be a LG display. Debating if I should keep this or just get a iMac 27-inch instead.

iPersian

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ordered mines on Thanksgiving day, got shipped out on the same day also. Turned out to be a LG display. Debating if I should keep this or just get a iMac 27-inch instead.

on which site did you check yours for the week no? do both sites give you the same week no? they shouldnt so there is a small chance that yours is perhaps earlier.

jaqueh

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
i believe that ALL LGs will eventually show image retention. they have all been manufactured in the same way.

i have personally seen 4 LGs, all with IR.

i also believe that many people dont notice it until you tell about them as this was the case of the three LG screens i tested. All had happy costumers until i showed up ;-)

At a local apple store i visited all LGs had IR and the salesmen didnt know.

I also believe that Apple doesnt have any real interest in fixing this as it is too widespread. only better manufacturing by LG will solve this.

After two returns ive given up and waiting for the Haswell update and a certain fix before i give my money to Apple.

You're right, mine is definitely showing IR on the dock. I checked by making a grey image fullscreen. Wow, that sucks, I finally got my colors to be calibrated and not I'm getting this problem

Jack9034

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011
I bought it 3 weeks ago and mine is week 39 . People who got week 40 and up, when did you guys purchased it. Why did I get an old laptop from week 39

Yours isn't that old compared to mine. I bought one last week and it was week 25.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Not necessarily...I have a RMBP with a Samsung screen from week 33 (August) and it is completely fine. No IR. I took it to an apple store to compare to the ones they have on display and I found a LG screen and the LG's screen looked a bit warmer than mine...

This has been my experience too !! :apple:

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
This has been my experience too !! :apple:

Is warmer the screen the better?

----------

is warmer the screen the better?

lebbeus

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
week 47. samsung no dead pixels.

For what it's worth it's definitely a brighter screen with sharper text but the colours don't pop as much and the blacks aren't as deep imho. If they worked out the IR issues and made the LG brighter i'd say it is a superior image.

Still calibrating but that's my initial impressions.

This was my 3rd attempt after returning 2 LGs to my local store (one with IR). This computer will last me 4-5 hopefully so i wanted to be happy. Time to finally retire my trusty 2008 MacBook Pro.

Good luck everyone.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Week 46 base model with samsung panel. Perfect as far as I can tell so far except for a slight blemish underneath the screen. Imperceptible when the computer is on. Of course no one else would probably even notice it except for one of us...:p

aware

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Only one person with LG after week 45? Anyone else? If not, the "rumor" proves to be quite accurate with an exception. Btw, those with samsung screen, do you notice a slight yellow bias towards the left?

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Only one person with LG after week 45? Anyone else? If not, the "rumor" proves to be quite accurate with an exception. Btw, those with samsung screen, do you notice a slight yellow bias towards the left?

My week 48 comes tomorrow so I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've heard crap where LG owners think they're screen is superior and argue positively about their screens to make themselves feel better. Human nature.

The only crap I've heard is this.

Since if you knew sod all about it, you'd be able to logically weigh up the two screens. Knowing that the LG has better blacks, and better colour reproduction, whilst the samsung has better whites, and is brighter.

Which is "better" depends on the person - not some half-arsed trolling comment ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.