Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfloyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hey,
I was wondering if there was some sort of external battery pack i could buy that would allow my mac to run longer. I plan on doing digital plein air painting in photoshop (basically painting outside). I need at least 5 hours of battery.... i know they have options like this for a pc, but i can't find anything for mac. could use some help... thanks!

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
There is the HyperJuice posted above me.
Its very expensive plus, you would have to either cut your magsafe connector to their product
(Since they were told by Apple that they cant use the Magsafe connector)

or buy a separate airline adapter from Apple and plug it in.

Again, expensive.

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Well at least it seems better to use one of these than getting a genuine Apple battery!

I just got burned today by an Apple servicing company ($153 bucks) for having my battery replaced (as it completely died out) even though I have AppleCare for my Early 2011 MBP 13" running until 2014. The reason was 'consumption use' of my battery. Apparently after one year, Apple WILL NOT REPLACE YOUR BATTERY IF IT FAILS EVEN IF YOU HAVE APPLECARE. I was told the AppleCare only covers components in the system which have failed in normal wear-and-tear and NOT the battery. So why does one buy AppleCare support at all, if batteries aren't even covered? For what I may ask? :mad:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Well at least it seems better to use one of these than getting a genuine Apple battery!

I just got burned today by an Apple servicing company ($153 bucks) for having my battery replaced (as it completely died out) even though I have AppleCare for my Early 2011 MBP 13" running until 2014. The reason was 'consumption use' of my battery. Apparently after one year, Apple WILL NOT REPLACE YOUR BATTERY IF IT FAILS EVEN IF YOU HAVE APPLECARE. I was told the AppleCare only covers components in the system which have failed in normal wear-and-tear and NOT the battery. So why does one buy AppleCare support at all, if batteries aren't even covered? For what I may ask? :mad:

Call AppleCare - if they dont help you - ask for customer relations - explain situation. They can move mountains.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
also make sure youve done the usual battery saving things. (which i sure you are aware of, but some people dont do it) such as disabling wifi and bluetooth, even turning the brightness down a few notches can buy you an hour or more. good luck.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apparently after one year, Apple WILL NOT REPLACE YOUR BATTERY IF IT FAILS EVEN IF YOU HAVE APPLECARE. I was told the AppleCare only covers components in the system which have failed in normal wear-and-tear and NOT the battery. So why does one buy AppleCare support at all, if batteries aren't even covered? For what I may ask? :mad:
AppleCare is an extension of the factory warranty, which covers manufacturing defects. It does not cover damage from accidents, wear and tear, or batteries, which are consumable items, unless the battery is determined to be defective. That's very clearly spelled out in the warranty and the AppleCare agreement. Read the BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED section near the bottom of the Battery FAQ in the link below.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

pfloyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
yeah thats pretty pricey, but its exactly what i'm looking for. thanks!

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hey,
I was wondering if there was some sort of external battery pack i could buy that would allow my mac to run longer. I plan on doing digital plein air painting in photoshop (basically painting outside). I need at least 5 hours of battery.... i know they have options like this for a pc, but i can't find anything for mac. could use some help... thanks!

Well, speaking for myself (see sig), I'd think that is doable.
The base MBP (Early 2011) usually gives you the 5 hours. You can further save by:
- adjusting screen brightness
- disabling bluetooth and Airport when you do not need'em
- agressive energy saving settings
- limit the number of software's open or swap to softs using fewer cycles (for example Camino gives me an extra half hour over Safari)
- check out gfxCardStatus (http://gfx.io), it allows you to force your MBP to use the integrated GPU

These simple tricks usually suffice to give me an endurance in the range of 9-11 hours of simultaneous MS Office, Mail, Browsing + iTunes, so 5 hours of PS should be no hassle.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.