Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Looking for a way to add iTunes info & artwork to my Handbrake ripped movies, new to this purchased a 2 TB Hard drive for this purpose, any ideas?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I add it in through iTunes. Once I add the movie to iTunes I just right click the title of the movie ,then "Get Info" and fill all the info out I want. I am sure there is an easier way and hopefully someone on the forums can give a better suggestion as I would like it to be easier than how I am doing it.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
I use Identify. It's $10 in the Mac App store. It puts in all the info and imports into iTunes for you.

I have no vested interest in this software, other than I really like it.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Looking for a way to add iTunes info & artwork to my Handbrake ripped movies, new to this purchased a 2 TB Hard drive for this purpose, any ideas?

I use iFlicks and i'm very happy with it.

It installs a service that allows you to select the movie or movies/tv shows in iTunes, then call the service with a key combo and voila - your items are tagged.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
+1 for Subler which is free and handy to have in your toolbox for its other capabilities as well as metadata tagging.

Mistertoad17

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Derby, UK
iFlicks used here

I use iFlicks too. It's so easy to drag everything in and if the graphic isn't up to much you can open the film or TV info page find your better graphic on Google, or wherever and just drag and drop the new graphic straight over the top .

As for other data, if a film isn't listed in the database, it's dead easy to use IMDB, or similar, to copy paste in all the fields.

I do wish you could choose other sources than TMDb (http://www.themoviedb.org) for populating data, but then again it is rare that I have to resort to hunting down details from anywhere else so all in all I couldn't see myself using anything other than iFlicks.:)

Podifer

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
I second Identify... I use it all the time and it does a good job.

+1 for me too - its handled every movie and TV show I've thrown at it.

When I had a PC I used Meta-X not sure that it's still around now though.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
+1 for me too - its handled every movie and TV show I've thrown at it.

When I had a PC I used Meta-X not sure that it's still around now though.

Meta-X is still around for the PC and I must add, the developer is doing a fantastic job with it.

The latest version is allowing for tagging mkv files as well.

Well worth the purchase price.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thank you for all your responses. I am sorry if I hijacked this thread, but also needed an easier way to do this. Have close to or more than a thousand movies to convert for iTunes and hand filling in data was a pain. Have gone with iFlicks. Seems to be the one that will do the best job for what I require. Again thanks!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am trying to use subler to add metadata, how does it work? I can't get it to work.
Go to File>Open
Once your file is open, Go to File>Import>Search Metadata online

It should be self-evident from there.

Edit: Oh, and make sure you click in a blank section of track window to highlight the metadata tab before doing the above.

Edit #2: you can add/delete data fields using the +/- button toward the bottom of the metadata window.

Last edited:

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Go to File>Open
Once your file is open, Go to File>Import>Search Metadata online

It should be self-evident from there.

Edit: Oh, and make sure you click in a blank section of track window to highlight the metadata tab before doing the above.

Edit #2: you can add/delete data fields using the +/- button toward the bottom of the metadata window.

Okay so I do that, then I add it to the queue and hit start. I have already converted it but it takes forever for it to add metadata, is that normal? I just need it to add the meta, I use something else to convert it from mkv to m4v

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I use Identify as well and for the seldom occasions that it doesn't pick up all of the information you can copy and paste the IMDB movie/tv code from the address bar and it will pull and insert the information.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I use every app mentioned here and they all have different uses for me. I paid for all the paid apps and also use the free ones. Also donate to those willing to accept.

At the end of the day, every movie file goes thru identify bc of it's superior tagging ( multiple choices of artwork ) and renaming file functions. I use custom coding in the renaming feature to note my source.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Okay so I do that, then I add it to the queue and hit start. I have already converted it but it takes forever for it to add metadata, is that normal? I just need it to add the meta, I use something else to convert it from mkv to m4v

No, that is not normal. It should be very fast...seconds. Instead of adding it to the queue, just add the metadata and "Save". In the queue, see what options you have checked (triangle next to the start button). Nothing should be checked.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Thank you for all your responses. I am sorry if I hijacked this thread, but also needed an easier way to do this. Have close to or more than a thousand movies to convert for iTunes and hand filling in data was a pain. Have gone with iFlicks. Seems to be the one that will do the best job for what I require. Again thanks!

None of them are going to be perfect.

The thing I like about iFlicks is the ability to set up rules when tagging. I use it to regularly tag TV shows I record with EyeTV - having rules set up to tag based on TV Show name with the AppleTv appropriate square album art that I find and store locally for the few series I record is invaluable.

Everything looks great, is tagged correctly and the art is in the proper format.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
None of them are going to be perfect.

The thing I like about iFlicks is the ability to set up rules when tagging. I use it to regularly tag TV shows I record with EyeTV - having rules set up to tag based on TV Show name with the AppleTv appropriate square album art that I find and store locally for the few series I record is invaluable.

Everything looks great, is tagged correctly and the art is in the proper format.
Just curious why you consider "square" to be the proper format for TV Shows?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I use Identify. It's $10 in the Mac App store. It puts in all the info and imports into iTunes for you.

I have no vested interest in this software, other than I really like it.

+1 for this software. I use it all the time. My only gripe is that is doesn't use "Square" art for TV Shows. Not a massive issue though.

----------

Just curious why you consider "square" to be the proper format for TV Shows?

because it is. :D All content from iTunes that's TV related is square. Movies or portrait.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
+1 for this software. I use it all the time. My only gripe is that is doesn't use "Square" art for TV Shows. Not a massive issue though.

----------

because it is. :D All content from iTunes that's TV related is square. Movies or portrait.
Never noticed that because I never surf iTunes TV shows. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.