Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune reports on a new research note from Merrill Lynch analyst Scott Craig claiming that T-Mobile USA may be preparing to announce at its analysts day next week that it will begin offering the iPhone. The claim does not, however, appear to be based on any specific information, as Craig simply notes that "speculation is heightening" about such a move.
Now Merrill Lynch's Scott Craig is out with a note reporting that "speculation is heightening" that Deutsche Telecom (DT) will announce a deal to bring the iPhone to its U.S. subsidiary at next week's analysts day (12/6-7).

It makes sense. The carrier recently beefed up its iPhone-compatible high-speed HSPA+ network in 10 metropolitan areas, allowing some of the 1.5 million T-Mobile customers already using unlocked iPhones to enjoy something better than GSM download speeds.
As T-Mobile has worked to refarm its spectrum to move its fastest data services over to iPhone-compatible frequencies, the carrier has started a "Bring Your Own iPhone" program to help users move their unlocked iPhones to the carrier.

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg
T-Mobile previously stated that the spectrum refarming would make the carrier ready for the iPhone by the end of 2012, and has acknowledged on a number of occasions that its lack of the iPhone has cost it customers and revenue.

But while it seems clear that T-Mobile would like to carry the iPhone and has been reconfiguring its network to be able to support it, there has been essentially no direct evidence or sources claiming that the device will be coming to the fourth-largest carrier in the United States.

Article Link: 'Speculation is Heightening' for Potential T-Mobile USA iPhone Announcement Next Week

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I really hope this is true. I held off getting the iPhone 5 because I'm sick of AT&T lying to me about what data coverage is available to me. They have claimed that I have HSPA+, and even LTE, where I live, but I still get only 3Mbps down on my 4S. I'm looking to jump, and if I can save money by going to T-Mo I will.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Anyone who continues to use T-Mobile in this day and age ASTOUNDS me. No LTE? That's just pathetic.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Without LTE, I don't see Apple putting the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile because it would create an advertising issue in the USA.

However, T-Mobile LTE is supposedly due out in the first half of 2013. I hope T-Mobile gets iPhone and beefs up their network -- they seem so much more customer-friendly than the bigger carriers.

Jeffythequick

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Nice! I can have an iPhone with T-Mobile's crappy network!

(I know, YMMV, but the last time I had T-Mobile in Oregon, it worked on my doorstep, but as soon as I walked in my house, that last bar fell off, while AT&T had 4 bars.

However, I hope T-Mobile succeeds and gets better, as it can help drive down prices on the other carriers!)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Nice! I can have an iPhone with T-Mobile's crappy network!

(I know, YMMV, but the last time I had T-Mobile in Oregon, it worked on my doorstep, but as soon as I walked in my house, that last bar fell off, while AT&T had 4 bars.

However, I hope T-Mobile succeeds and gets better, as it can help drive down prices on the other carriers!)

I never had trouble with T-Mobile...Sprint on the other hand...

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Of couuuuuuurrrrsssee! This AFTER I get my iPhone 5 after waiting an entire month for it to ship out of the Chinese factory and me starting a new two year contract with AT&T. :mad:

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I've lived with Tmobile and my iPhone for years because of cost. Edge was ok for me and I pay $80/month (tax and fees included) for two lines with unlimited data, texting and 1000 minutes. I have had no problems with the network. I started getting 3G connectivity within the last month or so and I'm more than happy.

Make fun all you want - that rate plan is hard to beat. I have also found customer service to be excellent.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Wait, would this make Apple release a new iPhone model specifically for T-Mobile to use the other GMS bands for it's 4G network, or would it just be the AT&T model and hope that you managed to live in a city with the refarmed spectrum.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
T-Mo iPhone announcement next week?...

DOUBT IT!

Know how I know, as a T-Mo customer, and T-Mobile being GSM, albeit different frequency, thought T-Mo as a GSM carrier would be second to receive iPhone after 5 year stint under contract with ATT, because Steve Jobs said at iPhone intro in 2007 that GSM technology was what they were going in full bore. What happens? An entirely new phone with CDMA tech for Verizon. Okay, year passes and rumors of Sprint and T-Mo... only Sprint makes announcement. All the while Apple creates yet another "iPhone" for China's technology to have operable phone to offer there.

T-mobile is the bastard stepchild of the iPhone family regardless of coverage availability or bar signal strength. Announcement next week, doubt it, why, 'cuz I'm on T-Mo! :rolleyes:
/
/
/

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Anyone who continues to use T-Mobile in this day and age ASTOUNDS me. No LTE? That's just pathetic.

Really? T-Mobile has been great to me, and their coverage is everywhere I've ever needed it. They also are significantly cheaper for me than any of the other postpaid options. Why would I pay nearly twice as much to switch to AT&T for slightly faster speeds?

jW

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
42 mbps HSPA+ gets you honestly quite close to LTE speeds... Albeit with simultaneous voice and data of course.

LOL!!!! It's nowhere close to 42mbps, but nice try. And enjoy those 300-400ms pings, I'll continue to use my Verizon 4G LTE.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
If the iPhone 5 supports 1700/2100, there are going to be a boatload of people switching to Wind Mobile in Canada, especially THIS season seeing that they have a $40/month plan that includes unlimited *everything* including data and long distance calling across Canada plus reduced international calling rates, ie, $0.02/minute to call to the UK on a fixed line.

Oh boy.... I can see the iPhone 5 selling like hotcakes if that happens.

soxmandan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
If it gets more people an iPhone, why not? Plus, keeps them from clogging up AT&T and Verizon's networks, which is good for those of us with either of these carriers.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Good grief. Some people are just... well I don't want to use an insulting term, so let's just say - quit assuming that your perspective is the only one that could possibly exist.

I've been using an old iPhone on T-Mobile, and it's working extremely well for me. I only pay $30/month for an unlimited data plan. I hardly ever make voice calls, so why should I pay 3x that just to use a smartphone? I'm currently seeing 3G about half the time, and the reallocation of spectrum is progressing rapidly in my area (western Washington state) - but even EDGE works adequately for most of what I want to do.

You're not gonna stream video on EDGE, but I've never had a desire to watch video on a tiny screen. I can, however, listen to a baseball broadcast just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.