Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:11 AM   #1
sebasx
macrumors member

support full-screen for iPhone5 with support iOS from 3.2

Hey,

I have old, important project build on xCode 4.2.x (so with old templates) and I must update this project for support iPhone5 with full sceen. I see the best solution is using Auto Layouts, but it's not support for iOS older that 6.
My app must be supported from iOS 3.2 o higher, so what's solution will be best? Should I create two xlibs for every controllers and detect device is iPhone5 and load another xlib for this device? Worst is that I read that "Apple will not accept your app if you build it against SDK older then 6.0 and include support for iphone 5", "I can also confirm this - an app built with older SDK and Default-568h@2x.png was rejected".

What is best solution for support iPhone5 with full-screen with support iOS from 3.2 and make app acceptable by Apple?
sebasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasx View Post
Hey,

I have old, important project build on xCode 4.2.x (so with old templates) and I must update this project for support iPhone5 with full sceen. I see the best solution is using Auto Layouts, but it's not support for iOS older that 6.
My app must be supported from iOS 3.2 o higher, so what's solution will be best? Should I create two xlibs for every controllers and detect device is iPhone5 and load another xlib for this device? Worst is that I read that "Apple will not accept your app if you build it against SDK older then 6.0 and include support for iphone 5", "I can also confirm this - an app built with older SDK and Default-568h@2x.png was rejected".

What is best solution for support iPhone5 with full-screen with support iOS from 3.2 and make app acceptable by Apple?
Move on. Apple's got 73,000 employs, huge teams of engineers and they aren't willing to support 4 year old devices. It has to end eventually, and the tech market moves fast. Maybe you have more resources than Apple, but I'm doubtful, don't remain stuck in the past.

Deprecate your current code base, and start a new one. Have two apps in the app store. Current one and a new one for newer devices.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Deprecate your current code base, and start a new one. Have two apps in the app store. Current one and a new one for newer devices.
Huh? That's crazy. Assuming you're mostly using standard iOS Cocoa Touch controls, creating a new app is far more trouble than spending a few minutes updating the old one.

Autolayout is great for views that need to work both on iPhone and iPad class devices, or both in portrait and landscape mode without having to write layout code by hand.

But... you don't need autolayout to support something as simple as a change in screen height. I haven't come across an app that wasn't able to be updated in less than a couple of hours just by:

1. correct setting of autoresizing masks on views

and

2. correcting hardcoded assumptions about the height of the screen (ie changing hardcoded 480's to use [UIScreen mainScreen].bounds etc.

You certainly don't need additional .xibs to support the iPhone 5, and by not using autolayout you retain backwards compatibility with iOS 4.3 and 5.x.
Reason077 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasx View Post
My app must be supported from iOS 3.2 o higher
I'd be curious to hear more of the justification of this. What makes you feel that your app needs to have support going back as far as iOS 3.2? Do you have a large percentage of current users still running 3.2?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 PM   #5
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Huh? That's crazy. Assuming you're mostly using standard iOS Cocoa Touch controls, creating a new app is far more trouble than spending a few minutes updating the old ...
It's may be crazy, but it's an absolute requirement if you want Apple to approve your app. Apple is no longer accepting apps that support both the iPhone 5 full screen (or any other iOS 6 API) and any OS below iOS 4.3.

If you want to support BOTH iOS 4.2 or lower and iPhone 5 full screen in Apple's App Store, you've got to do 2 apps, a new one using the latest Xcode 4.5, and the old one using an older version of Xcode.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:23 PM   #6
PhoneyDeveloper
macrumors 68030

The latest version of Xcode is required to support iPhone5 and it doesn't support armv6. The oldest OS that you can support is 4.3, with the latest Xcode.

Every device that can run 4.3 can also be upgraded to iOS 6 for free, except for iPad 1 (I believe), which can only go to 5.1.1.

I suggest supporting 5.0 and later, 4.3 if you must.

There's no need to throw away your code and start over. You should be able to use your existing code. I would migrate to ARC though if you're going to maintain the app in the future.
PhoneyDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming