Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrAsencio11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I have a first generation IPAD. I took it to the store to show pictures to a friend. Then I went to get some food. I left it in the car it was about 30 something degrees. I go home and turn it on. It is blurry, fuzzy, lines etc. It was really rock cold, and for like the last 11 hours I have been trying to make it warm no success. Does anyone know anything I can do. Or is this a lost cause? It charges, plays music, I can see half of a picture when I slide my finger to the left, it shuts off, slides on. Should I leave it on or off? Thanks!

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I have a first generation IPAD. I took it to the store to show pictures to a friend. Then I went to get some food. I left it in the car it was about 30 something degrees. I go home and turn it on. It is blurry, fuzzy, lines etc. It was really rock cold, and for like the last 11 hours I have been trying to make it warm no success. Does anyone know anything I can do. Or is this a lost cause? It charges, plays music, I can see half of a picture when I slide my finger to the left, it shuts off, slides on. Should I leave it on or off? Thanks!

30 degrees is well within safe (non-operating) temperature range. But leaving it in a car when it's 30 degrees outside for 15 minutes certainly wouldn't result in a "rock cold (whatever that is)" iPad.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Thats like -1 C right?

Can't imagine it breaking because of that temperature and only 15mins!

I have an iPod in my glove box which is connected to my car, and that is always in there, even when the temperatures hit -10 C inside the car and its fine. An that has moving parts (E.g hard drive).

I have sometimes left my laptop in the car over night (Shhh dont tell anyone! ;)) and again the next day it is cold, but functions fine (Maybe a bit slow to start with).

I would recommend just leaving it alone for a while in room temperatures - don't put it on top of a radiator or something silly like that...

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Going from cold to warm, condensation will absolutely happen.........always place it in a zip lock until it warms up.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Holy crap... I hope some naive idiot doesn't come to this thread and try any of these terrible bits of advice...

FYI they are all joking... NEVER put your electronic in any oven...

Let it be known that I don't put it past some 14 year old or some clueless housewife coming to this site and thinking you guys are being legit about this. I know my wife probably would believe it.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Another option is to put it in a ziploc bag, seal it with a bit of air in it, and then float it in hot bathtub for 20 minutes.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Holy crap... I hope some naive idiot doesn't come to this thread and try any of these terrible bits of advice...

FYI they are all joking... NEVER put your electronic in any oven...

Let it be known that I don't put it past some 14 year old or some clueless housewife coming to this site and thinking you guys are being legit about this. I know my wife probably would believe it.

What a lucky lady.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
What a lucky lady.

My wife knows she is tech dumb... it's no secret.

I know plenty of idiots who own iDevices because it's the trendy thing to own but doesn't use any of the features.

Not everyone in the world keeps up with Apple gear like most of us.

One of my best friends was asking me about the iPad Mini on Sunday night and I brought up the 4th Gen iPad... he was baffled that it even existed. Just saying... what is funny to you, to someone who is clueless about technology, could sound like it makes sense... I mean people still believe in an invisible being in the sky that guides us in our daily lives... just saying.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
I have a first generation IPAD. I took it to the store to show pictures to a friend. ~ I left it in the car it was about 30 something degrees. I go home and turn it on. It is blurry, fuzzy, lines etc. It was really rock cold, and for like the last 11 hours I have been trying to make it warm no success. Does anyone know anything I can do. Or is this a lost cause? It charges, plays music, I can see half of a picture when I slide my finger to the left, it shuts off, slides on. Should I leave it on or off? Thanks!

Rock cold after 15 minutes at only 30? WHen I leave my car when it is 0 F (usually about 2 weeks a year) degrees outside, my car is warm on the inside. It will seldom get cold enough to bother electronics for about an hour or so and will totally freeze rock hard. Usually does not even kill batteries.

After 11 hours in anything around room temp 60 degrees it should be more than warm enough.

I would try bag of rice trick to get rid of moisture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.