Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1
marc.garcia
macrumors regular

iPhoto or iMovie: Home video management?

Hello,

I've started to use iPhoto a lot. It is good for managing photos, but what about videos? Where do you guys store your videos? With the recent support for AHVCD videos, iPhoto now can represent a powerful place for storing all forms of visual data like photos or videos. Having everything in one place is very appealing!

What do you guys think?
marc.garcia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
blatopilot
macrumors regular

Check out Plex:

http://plexapp.com/
blatopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3
gertruded
macrumors regular

IPhoto chokes as the number of pictures increases. Face recognition becomes useless.
gertruded is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:28 PM   #4
netslacker
macrumors regular

I've looked long and hard at this same question. To edit home video (from video camera or video from your still camera) you will want to use iMovie. However, as a "clip management" tool (like iPhoto is for photo management) iMovie utterly sucks at. For starters, nearly every single clip imported to iMovie is converted to AIC which takes its size to nearly 10X the original file size. This is just not practical for a clip management tool at all. However, importing to iPhoto leaves the clips as they are, saving tons of disk space over using iMovie. You can then access the clips from iMove too.

My iPhoto library is 139GB in size and I have no problem using it at all. However, I don't use face recognition either so to the other commenter, if that's important to you, then your mileage may vary. I also use Aperture for all of my serious work and keep home vids and casual pics (including iPhone photo stream) to iPhoto.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

iMovie is an App for video editing rather than storage and catalogueing, as iPhoto does for photgraphs, so it can hardly "suck" at doing a job that it's not designed for.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
iMovie is an App for video editing rather than storage and catalogueing, as iPhoto does for photgraphs, so it can hardly "suck" at doing a job that it's not designed for.
Werd. Came in to say the same thing. iMovie isn't a video management app.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:54 AM   #7
marc.garcia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
Werd. Came in to say the same thing. iMovie isn't a video management app.
I agree with you, but I still want to know how you guys handle your videos. Having photos and videos in the same place would be awesome.
marc.garcia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Danjb
macrumors newbie

I publish completed videos to iTunes and manage them from there.
Danjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:37 AM   #9
marc.garcia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.garcia View Post
I agree with you, but I still want to know how you guys handle your videos. Having photos and videos in the same place would be awesome.
Bump! Anybody care to share his/her thoughts on this?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 AM   #10
rangers12
macrumors member

I had read about Usher as a video file management system- has anyone worked with this? Open to any other suggestions.
rangers12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Bump! Anybody care to share his/her thoughts on this?
OK. I use iMovie to import and edit my camcorder footage. I generally Share/Export the edited footage to Finder and then delete the import.

I use iPhoto to import photos and video from my digital stills camera. I leave all of that in iPhoto. I then use iMovie to edit any of the video.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Big Stevie
macrumors 6502a

I import all my camcorder footage into iPhoto and I put it into an Event that I have titled 'Video'. Straight after importing I title each piece of footage for easy reference.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store