Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Does anyone, using Mail on a MBP with a POP server mail system, have a system for storing incoming emails? Since only IMAP server systems work in mail in terms of making folders, I'm at a loss for what to do with a loaded inbox.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Does anyone, using Mail on a MBP with a POP server mail system, have a system for storing incoming emails? Since only IMAP server systems work in mail in terms of making folders, I'm at a loss for what to do with a loaded inbox.

Thanks for your thoughts!

One of the reasons I stopped using Apple Mail in favour of Thunderbird, but you can just archive the mail you want to keep, you can even set a keyboard shortcut to do it:

http://email.about.com/od/macosxmai...d-Shortcut-For-Archiving-In-Mac-Os-X-Mail.htm

ShinyDren

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Ambitoysterous, USA
You can easily make local folders for POP mail storage. Create a "New Mailbox" [aka a folder] by clicking the plus sign in the lower left corner of the window (or from the Mailbox menu dropdown). Make sure the location is "On My Mac", or a previously created folder underneath/within On My Mac. You can even create nested folders if you want. These folders are stored on your mac in the same basic format as IMAP folders.

After you create your folders you can drag messages to where you want them. You can also create Rules in Mail's Preferences to automatically sort them.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Apple_Mail.jpg
    Apple_Mail.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 86

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You can also select the option in Mail to Archive your mail and it will put messages from the Inbox.

Under Message in the Menu bar select "Archive". You can also customize the toolbar and add the Archive icon.

Apple Mail also treats POP Inboxes a bit differently. If you delete a POP account, Mail will also delete all messages in the Inbox but not the subfolders. Entourage and Outlook for Mac do not delete messages when deleting an account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.