Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luist3k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Is it true that in 2007, previous to the release of the iPhone Steve Jobs gathered its team after seeing the iPhone's screen being scratched and told them "I won't sell a product that gets scratched. I want a glass screen, and I want it perfect in six weeks"?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Is it true that in 2007, previous to the release of the iPhone Steve Jobs gathered its team after seeing the iPhone's screen being scratched and told them "I won't sell a product that gets scratched. I want a glass screen, and I want it perfect in six weeks"?

You can't verify with where you found that quote? Regardless, Jobs said a lot of things and certainly wasn't above changing his mind within days if not seconds of how he felt previously. Considering he also continued to be active in the company for 4 years following the release of the 2G I doubt that he wasn't aware of the way the phones were being designed.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
This was probably one of the cases where Steve made an unreasonable demand and they came through with a good result. I'm sure he made a ton over time that weren't possible to execute, it's just business.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You can't verify with where you found that quote?

Ia well known folklore, but I don't know the phone# of anybody present to corroborate.

The way I read it was, the phone was not yet released, Jobs had a prototype in his pants, and after having used it several days found that his keys would leave scratches on the phone. With scant time before release, he commanded his troops to FIX THIS OR ELSE.

The current i5 trouble sounds more like rushed production, minimal QA, rather than design to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.