Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Battle Los Angeles. Again. Absolute pure Kick Ass movie. Love it.

Really? I had heard it sucked. Maybe I'll have to rent it. :)

Watched The Andromeda Strain (1971), still an intriguing movie. From a perspective standpoint, it's interesting to see the chances in technology since this movie was made. I just became aware there was a mini-series in 2008. Never saw it. Wondering if was as good as the original, anyone? :)

andromeda-strain.jpg

Edit: The reviews of the mini-series at IMDB by viewers trash it.

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
:)

Watched The Andromeda Strain (1971), still an intriguing movie. From a perspective standpoint, it's interesting to see the chances in technology since this movie was made. I just became aware there was a mini-series in 2008. Never saw it. Wondering if was as good as the original, anyone? :)

No way. The kick assness in this movie imho surpasses that of Aliens, which happens to be another Marine vs alien movie.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You might be thinking of The Battle of Los Angles. It was a rip off of the original movie, it is one of the worst movies ever made, and the reviews of the movie are pretty humorous to read :D.

Just noticed that those are the best comments, not the hated it ones. :D

Btw. got some more animes yesterday, will inform you when they're any good. Liked your recommended Fireflies series, too!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Just noticed that those are the best comments, not the hated it ones. :D

Btw. got some more animes yesterday, will inform you when they're any good. Liked your recommended Fireflies series, too!

Yep, even the most positive comments were pretty brutal on the movie but they were definitely fun to read. There are only a handful of movies I haven't finished and Battle of Los Angeles (not Battle: Los Angeles) was one of them. I gave it my best shot but couldn't make it :D.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations on the new animes. Just as a reminder, I highly recommend Angel Beats as one of the best anime series (my favorite).

See you in Appleguy's next WW game :).

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yep, even the most positive comments were pretty brutal on the movie but they were definitely fun to read. There are only a handful of movies I haven't finished and Battle of Los Angeles (not Battle: Los Angeles) was one of them. I gave it my best shot but couldn't make it :D.

That could be another fine thread: What movie you couldn't finish? Mine was Island of Dr Moreau. reason: awfulness

And agreed, Appleguy's the man right now! You already signed into the Mantisforum? It seems like a kind of a secret society, wonder what they're doing behind those closed curtains though....[playing WW games obviously :D]

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That is one wonderful and impressive post. Hard to reply something be honest.

A classic scene of a French family, gathered at the dining table, comes to mind.

Pieces of Proust.

Dreyfus.

Watch Louis Malle's Le Feu Follet. It plays in Paris within the most beautiful black and white images accompanied by, guess who, Satie's Gnossiennes. A wonderful autumn-movie.

Satie - Gymnopédies / Gnossiennes

I can't find it anymore, but there once was an amazing collage of René Claire's movie Entr'acte with Satie's (who also composed the original soundtrack) Gnossiennes on youtube. If I ever find it again, I'll post it, but fear it got deleted. It started with some sort of can-can / variéte dancers, if I remember correctly.

Ah, @twietee: Apologies for not responding earlier to your fascinating lengthy and interesting memories of your elderly relative with links to the 30s cinema, who latterly suffered from dementia.

Re your earlier post on the movie Entr'acte, do take a look at sources for Georges Charensol; I hadn't known when you posted initially that he actually features in Entr'acte - and there is a lengthy interview - available on youtube (again, the wonders of the internet) which I have only seen since our original posts, where he discusses it, and it includes the clip where he is filmed. So, thank you for mentioning that, and prompting me to go hunting.

It seems - apart from being a founder member of the Cannes Film Festival (and serving as a juror on and off), he also was a member of the group which helped to create the Prix Goncourt......

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
You already signed into the Mantisforum?

Nope, MacRumors gets all my quality time :D. I'm waiting till the second week in Dec when Appleguy runs the game here.

----------

Look at the release dates. I'm confused! :confused:

Battle of Los Angeles: 12Mar2011 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758570/

Battle Los Angeles: 11Mar2011 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217613/

Just watched The Searchers- wonderful John Wayne western.

Yep, the Battle of Los Angeles has nothing to do with Battle: Los Angeles (other then both being sci-fi). The people who did Battle of Los Angeles ripped off the name from Battle: Los Angeles to get people to watch their movie. It worked with a large number of people buying the Battle of Los Angeles DVD when they really wanted Battle: Los Angeles (i.e. lots of pissed off people).

I found the Searchers to be good but also too drawn out. My favorite John Wayne movies are still Stagecoach, True Grit, and the Shootist.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I found the Searchers to be good but also too drawn out. My favorite John Wayne movies are still Stagecoach, True Grit, and the Shootist.

I would rate them The Shootist, Stagecoach, some others like The Searchers, then True Grit.

Although Kim Darby was a little gem, and Glen Campbell was just funny, and not in a particularly good way.

And then there was Ned Pepper. Big fan!!!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nope, MacRumors gets all my quality time :D. I'm waiting till the second week in Dec when Appleguy runs the game here.

----------

Yep, the Battle of Los Angeles has nothing to do with Battle: Los Angeles (other then both being sci-fi). The people who did Battle of Los Angeles ripped off the name from Battle: Los Angeles to get people to watch their movie. It worked with a large number of people buying the Battle of Los Angeles DVD when they really wanted Battle: Los Angeles (i.e. lots of pissed off people).

Ward Bond is one of my favorite actors from that time. Regarding Battle, I must have been remembering the really crappy one. I'll see if I can find the right one at Blockbuster.

Watched Lawless tonight. Ehh- lots of hillbilly atmosphere, the story reminded me of Hatfields and McCoys I guess because of the setting, but not as good. Can't recommend it.

MV5BMjAxNjUyNjUwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgwOTIyOA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched the remake of The Thing for the second time. While I don't rank it as good as the original, it may give you a whole new set of nightmares. ;)

MV5BMTMxMjI0MzUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjc1NzE5NQ@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I saw Madigascar 3 with my family. We really liked the first, were okay with the second, and really enjoyed this installment. I can't get the song out of my head, though.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli

The most memorable scene in the remake will have you paraphrasing Obi Wan Kenobi from Star Wars: "Use the thumb, Luke. Throw it now, Luke." Combined with the imbecilic time-travel reference and it's a wonder anyone liked it. Pure travesty rewriting it for the so-called modern day.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The most memorable scene in the remake will have you paraphrasing Obi Wan Kenobi from Star Wars: "Use the thumb, Luke. Throw it now, Luke." Combined with the imbecilic time-travel reference and it's a wonder anyone liked it. Pure travesty rewriting it for the so-called modern day.

So now I don't have to look for it. :)

Watched Battle Los Angeles, (not Battle of Los Angeles). It has a gritty realistic feel, but other than that it was merely so-so. Independence Day was better for entertainment values. ;)

MV5BMjA2MjQ2MzMwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIwODgzNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Finally got around to watching Prometheus over the weekend. I must say I was pretty disappointed. It just wasn't very exciting and the storyline was so blah. I mean it was like they just rehashed so many plot twists from the previous Alien series and things they could have developed they chose to leave a mystery or not work through at all. I really don't see the "prequel" thing at all as the story was so weak.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finally got around to watching Prometheus over the weekend. I must say I was pretty disappointed. It just wasn't very exciting and the storyline was so blah. I mean it was like they just rehashed so many plot twists from the previous Alien series and things they could have developed they chose to leave a mystery or not work through at all. I really don't see the "prequel" thing at all as the story was so weak.

Well it happened before Ripley... there prequel! Ok, I admit, it could have been better, but I still own it. :)

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
"Men in Black 3". Josh Brolin did an admirable job channeling his inner "K". I thought it stayed true to the other two movies while not being a rehash.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Saw The Witches the other day. Featuring Anjelica Houston and some Jim Henson puppets. Great nostalgia movie and perfect for Christmas season!

Since it's about almost 20yrs since I saw it the last time: just recognized that Nicolas Roeg directed it. He made one of the most chilling and visually pleasing (Venice) movies imho: Don't look now with Donald Sutherland. Was quite surprised to learn that he also made that perfect childhood-horror flic, too. Underrated director.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.