Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
LOL!!!! It's nowhere close to 42mbps, but nice try. And enjoy those 300-400ms pings, I'll continue to use my Verizon 4G LTE.

You have no idea what T-Mobile's network is like. People routinely getting 10Mbps or more if their phone support HSPA+ 42Mbps. It's faster than AT&T's non-LTE. And the ping: routinely about 40-60ms based on my experience. This is as good or even better than AT&T or Verizon LTE.

The issue for T-Mobile is lack of something like 700-800Mhz, and smaller network coverage.

I am using iPhone 4S on T-Mobile. I just hope their refarming is done quicker. Right now I can get their HSPA+ on my iPhone at only limited locations. When I get it, usually 5-7Mbps. iPhone 4S only support max 14Mbps.

T-Mobile's plan is really much cheaper than AT&T or Verizon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
T-Mobiles HSPA+ is nothing to be laughed at. On my N4 I get anywhere from 14-18mbps on it with pings around 90. And I'm on the $30 prepaid plan. Of course this is all relative to where you live and if they have coverage there. You have to remember that T-Mobile is 42.2mbps while AT&T is only 14.4.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
T-Mobiles HSPA+ is nothing to be laughed at. On my N4 I get anywhere from 14-18mbps on it with pings around 90. And I'm on the $30 prepaid plan. Of course this is all relative to where you live and if they have coverage there. You have to remember that T-Mobile is 42.2mbps while AT&T is only 14.4.

If you don't talk a lot, T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan is the best value out there.

$30 for 100 minutes, unlimited text and 5GB of 4G data.

T-mobile HSPA+ is faster than ATT LTE in many cases.

$30 per month vs. $100+ per month? easy decision.

muadibe

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I really hope this is true. I held off getting the iPhone 5 because I'm sick of AT&T lying to me about what data coverage is available to me. They have claimed that I have HSPA+, and even LTE, where I live, but I still get only 3Mbps down on my 4S. I'm looking to jump, and if I can save money by going to T-Mo I will.

I've gotten as high as 8.25Mbps down on a factory unlocked 4S on TMO in Hollywood, Florida.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Does this mean I'll be able to get an unlocked iPhone 5 at their $50/month data/voice plan?

I guess I'm asking is this a viable plan to go to if I currently have an iPhone 4 on Straight Talk.

It's hard to pass up 2gb of data and unlimited everything else for $45/month

Last edited:

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
I've lived with Tmobile and my iPhone for years because of cost. Edge was ok for me and I pay $80/month (tax and fees included) for two lines with unlimited data, texting and 1000 minutes. I have had no problems with the network. I started getting 3G connectivity within the last month or so and I'm more than happy.

Make fun all you want - that rate plan is hard to beat. I have also found customer service to be excellent.

You should really look into straight talk

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Without LTE, I don't see Apple putting the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile because it would create an advertising issue in the USA.

However, T-Mobile LTE is supposedly due out in the first half of 2013. I hope T-Mobile gets iPhone and beefs up their network -- they seem so much more customer-friendly than the bigger carriers.

T-Mobile can just continue running commercials about their "lightning fast 4G" network. Just like AT&T is running commercials saying they have more "4G" coverage than any other carrier. Slimy bast*rds!

The average consumer probably won't know the difference between HSPA+ "4G" and "LTE" until they use a phone that explicitly says "LTE" at the top of the screen. Once they do that, they'll likely never want to go back to HSPA+ "4G" again.

Until they experience LTE, though, the average consumer will probably be just fine with the little "4G" symbol at the top of their screen on AT&T or T-Mobile's HSPA+ networks.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
This is what T-Mobile super slow 3G looks like:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 75

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
I've lived with Tmobile and my iPhone for years because of cost. Edge was ok for me .

Really?! I found TMO Edge speeds basically unusable, except for email. Just getting a web page to load was unbearable. I was happy with their 3G/"4G", just couldn't deal with the 2G I was still seeing way to often in my area, and I'm only 10-11 miles from Boston.

Very happy the past few weeks on Verizon. Of course, I admit I'm paying more...oh well.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
T-Mobile can just continue running commercials about their "lightning fast 4G" network. Just like AT&T is running commercials saying they have more "4G" coverage than any other carrier. Slimy bast*rds!

The average consumer probably won't know the difference between HSPA+ "4G" and "LTE" until they use a phone that explicitly says "LTE" at the top of the screen. Once they do that, they'll likely never want to go back to HSPA+ "4G" again.

Until they experience LTE, though, the average consumer will probably be just fine with the little "4G" symbol at the top of their screen on AT&T or T-Mobile's HSPA+ networks.

I really wished they wouldn't have allowed them to call that 4G...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Cost savings are worth it for me to stay on 3g/4g

There aren't any 'good deals' in the US for LTE yet. IE.. Prepaid or tmobile

Last edited:

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Unlocked iPhone

if t-mobile unlock the iPhone from the get go, there may be lot of switchers from ATT.

I do not think there is a coverage in Portland, OR though. so no luck.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I never had trouble with T-Mobile...Sprint on the other hand...

This, IMO, is a big problem with cell service in the US. It's a crap shoot. You'd think that after all these decades, the US (supposedly one of the most technologically advanced countries) would have ironed out its network problems. But they only seem to get worse. We pay a lot of money for merely average (or in many cases below average) service. And it doesn't matter which carrier you go with; all of them work in some areas, but not in others.

It's as if the carriers still treat cell phones as the luxury they were 20 years ago. Back then everyone had a land line, and a cell phone was used strictly for traveling. For most people now, though, a cell phone is their primary communication device. It needs to work reliably wherever they happen to be.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
This, IMO, is a big problem with cell service in the US. It's a crap shoot. You'd think that after all these decades, the US (supposedly one of the most technologically advanced countries) would have ironed out its network problems. But they only seem to get worse. We pay a lot of money for merely average (or in many cases below average) service. And it doesn't matter which carrier you go with; all of them work in some areas, but not in others.

It's as if the carriers still treat cell phones as the luxury they were 20 years ago. Back then everyone had a land line, and a cell phone was used strictly for traveling. For most people now, though, a cell phone is their primary communication device. It needs to work reliably wherever they happen to be.

Lobby governments to make it easier for these companies to build/expand. Jobs touched on this at one event.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
LOL!!!! It's nowhere close to 42mbps, but nice try. And enjoy those 300-400ms pings, I'll continue to use my Verizon 4G LTE.

I get around 13Mbps during the daytime and 20Mbps at night on my S3 (Salt Lake City)...T-Mobile's HSPA network is much faster than what Verizon and AT&T have to offer iPhone users without LTE.

:cool:

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
While we are on rumors of iPhone on T-Mobile - don't forget there could be an iPhone 5S early 2013 rather than later. Could that factor into T-Mobile LTE in 2013?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Great, because the iPhone needs another "Sprint"...

Don't be arrogant. Sprint may not be the best carrier everywhere, but unlimited data that's cheaper than a 2Gb plan is a great value to some consumers. And their LTE in some cities provides solid service. Location, location, location.

It's just that more often than not, AT&T and Verizon cover more markets. That doesn't mean they are ALWAYS better carriers ... certainly never cheaper! ;)

Without LTE, I don't see Apple putting the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile because it would create an advertising issue in the USA.

However, T-Mobile LTE is supposedly due out in the first half of 2013. I hope T-Mobile gets iPhone and beefs up their network -- they seem so much more customer-friendly than the bigger carriers.

That's not a good reason at all. The iPhone 4S had "4G" on AT&T only, where as it was limited to 3G on Verizon on Sprint. That didn't stop Apple from giving the 4S to Verizon and introducing it to Sprint :rolleyes:

Apple can still advertise it as an LTE device, but is not responsible for the services provided by a certain carrier in a certain geographical area. If AT&T has no LTE in my town, is Apple not allowed to advertise the iPhone on AT&T as an LTE device? See my point yet?

HSPDA+ may not be near it's theoretical limit of 42mbps, but even Verizon's LTE is no where it's theoretical limit of 100mbps. On average, is Verizon's LTE faster than T-Mobile's HSPDA+? Probably, but it depends on the market.

My ping was never 300ms+ with GSM 4G, that's a false figure. I don't even think edge is that bad.

I don't know about you, but unless you're one in a million Verizon customers that is paying for their upgrades without a subsidy, you likely are on a share everything plan for $100 a month for 2Gb.

On T-mobile, I could get unlimited HSPDA+ data for $90 a month. And that includes unlimited texts and calling. As others have suggested, there are even cheaper plans with unlimited data.

If anything, competition is good for every consumer on every network. I love how this is such a kick in the nuts to Verizon and AT&T.

Last edited:

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
If you don't talk a lot, T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan is the best value out there.

$30 for 100 minutes, unlimited text and 5GB of 4G data.

T-mobile HSPA+ is faster than ATT LTE in many cases.

$30 per month vs. $100+ per month? easy decision.

I agree. Especially for the horrendous prices in the american market.

In Germany we got some good prices as well on the e-plus carrier: 15 Euros (around 20 dollars) for 500 mb of data, unlimited texting, and 50 minutes of talk, and good 3G coverage (compatible with iPhone :D).

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Noooooo!!!!!! The iPhone has very neagtivly affected Sprint, and the same will happen here. With Apples rediculous several billion dollar contracts, and T-Mobiles limited cash, there could be a huge problem for them... I wish T would use their brain, and tell Apple to **** off.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I've lived with Tmobile and my iPhone for years because of cost. Edge was ok for me and I pay $80/month (tax and fees included) for two lines with unlimited data, texting and 1000 minutes. I have had no problems with the network. I started getting 3G connectivity within the last month or so and I'm more than happy.

Make fun all you want - that rate plan is hard to beat. I have also found customer service to be excellent.

make fun? I wish i can reach out the screen and shake your hand for being a sensible consumer who went for what he/she needs, not for what AT&T or Verizon tells you you need.

I am personally waiting for the official unlocked iPhone 5 to go to t-mobile prepaid or Simple Mobile, their $40 plan seems to be just what I need. and if I don't like them, I go for the next one, no penalties no contracts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.