Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New 16gb for $329 or open-box 32gb for $401?

• New 16gb WiFi for $329

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Open-box 32gb WiFi (Best Buy) for $401

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I may also get my wife an iPad Mini. Which would be a better value and more recommended? She's a pretty light user.

1.) New 16gb WiFi for $329
2.) Open-box 32gb WiFi (Best Buy) for $401

Thanks!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Personally 16gig.

But if you need extra storage and wouldn't mind inspecting a unit first before committing to purchase. I'd pay extra to cherry pick my apple devices

An open box 16gig ipad 3 was the best screen I've gotten and I went through a lot of new ones before that

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
you do know she's only saving 28 dollars on that open box right? That's pretty bad in my opinion, I would want at least 99 off. go new 16gb

clyde2801

macrumors 601
you do know she's only saving 28 dollars on that open box right? That's pretty bad in my opinion, I would want at least 99 off. go new 16gb

In my area with a 8.75 cent sales tax, the open box special doesn't quite cover sales tax of the 32 gig model.

Being able to cherry pick your model before purchase could be advantageous. BUT I think applecare plus has to be purchased along with the iPad, or within 30 days of the original purchase date AND be blessed by someone at the apple store. I'd check into that if you wanted plus protection on it.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I woudn't buy anything open box from Best Buy or any other retailer.

*Apple Refurbs being the only exception*

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
Why? You can sometimes contact Apple and reset the warranty. Even if you aren't able to do that, you're only losing a couple weeks of warranty.

No apple wont reset the warranty. This is only an issue if you want to get apple care +, if your ok with not getting apple care + or go with another insurance provider your ok. ( Apple care + can only be purchased with in 30 days of the first time the product was purchased, not the date on your open item recept, i learned that the hard way in the apple store)

Also your just saving 30 dollars, thats not a good deal at all. There are better deals to be found.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Open box is probably only $30 off (and like low-$20 on 16gig) at BB because their margin is already probably not that good on them.

Best Buy's, not Apple's...

And they can't even keep them in stock pretty much anywhere so it's not like they have to off load them the second they get resold as open boxes, though I'm sure they do too.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Mini is less than a month old, and that open box is probabbly newer than that, are you really worried about adjusting your warranty for such a small increment of time? I know you want everything you are entitled to, but this seems like a trivial matter; we're not talking about a 3 month old ipad.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
yeah i know when i got my ipad3 open box, i didn't bother getting warranty reset.

Plus, with AmEx, two years anyways. woot woot

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
What stops you from exchanging an open box iPad for a new iPad at BB if something were to "be defective" ;)

They only give you back as much as you paid... so Open Box $401... returned you get $401 back toward the purchase of your new $429 iPad.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
They only give you back as much as you paid... so Open Box $401... returned you get $401 back toward the purchase of your new $429 iPad.

Exchange, not return. I worked at BB for a long time. Buy an open box product, go back a couple days later and exchange it for a 'new' one. :D You get a new product for the price of an open box. :cool:

Slowball41

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
I preserved mine from tek serve that someone posted on here shipping was free and only took 1.5 days using it now, if you're out of ny state no sales tax so for a brand new 32gb it's 429 shipped, but since she's a light users save 100 and get a 16gb at 329 even shipped

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Exchange, not return. I worked at BB for a long time. Buy an open box product, go back a couple days later and exchange it for a 'new' one. :D You get a new product for the price of an open box. :cool:

I did too... when you "exchange" they still ring your original purchase back through at $401 and then your exchanged iPad is $429 unless your BB did something different than mine regarding open item products. The only time they don't charge your full price on an item is if you bought it on sale and then they have to price match it back down to your original purchase price or it might do that automatically. But an open item price is manually taken off.

Maybe I'm wrong... it's been nearly 10 years since I worked at Best Buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.