Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DreLamar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Can I buy the iPhone 5 frm apple & get it activated @ AT&T because I'm gonna have the SIM cards switched with the 4S & 5. I dnt wanna buy frm AT&T or Bestbuy because theirs always a defect overheating glitches etc....

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Can I buy the iPhone 5 frm apple & get it activated @ AT&T because I'm gonna have the SIM cards switched with the 4S & 5. I dnt wanna buy frm AT&T or Bestbuy because theirs always a defect overheating glitches etc....

An iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone.

Buy it from Bestbuy, Radio Shack, AT&T or Apple, it's all the same quality.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

If u go into the Apple store, it says (1)Select Phone, then (2)Select Carrier... so I think yes.

DreLamar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Bought my 3G 2008 AT&T major problems apple replaced it no problems. Bought the 4 frm apple no problems. 4S from bestbuy had to take it back to apple to be replaced cuz it would overheat really bad! I just wanna know if I could by it frm the apple store & take it to AT&T to get it activated because I'm gonna use the 5 for my line & 4s for the new line & I need the nano sim for my line & micro sim for my new line

aslnschld

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
They should be able to do all that for you at the apple store, but you can work it out however you need to.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Bought my 3G 2008 AT&T major problems apple replaced it no problems. Bought the 4 frm apple no problems. 4S from bestbuy had to take it back to apple to be replaced cuz it would overheat really bad! I just wanna know if I could by it frm the apple store & take it to AT&T to get it activated because I'm gonna use the 5 for my line & 4s for the new line & I need the nano sim for my line & micro sim for my new line
It will be activated by the time you leave the Apple Store. Just bring your current SIM along and swap if possible. Although I don't know, isn't it a different size or type, moving from the 3G i4s to the 4G i5? In which case, they can copy everything over before you leave.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That doesn't matter. I got mine unsubsidized Tuesday, was making a call by the time I got out of the mall building.
Doesn't that make it more of a hassle for him?

If he buys an iPhone 5 at the Apple Store (by adding a new line to his existing AT&T account), then Apple is going to activate that new line/new telephone# on the iPhone 5 nano SIM, which sounds like exactly what he doesn't want.

It sounds like he's asking if he can buy a subsidized iPhone 5 from Apple, not have it activated, and then take it over to AT&T for activation. AFAIK, the answer to that is "no".

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Doesn't that make it more of a hassle for him?

If he buys an iPhone 5 at the Apple Store (by adding a new line to his existing AT&T account), then Apple is going to activate that new line/new telephone# on the iPhone 5 nano SIM, which sounds like exactly what he doesn't want.

It sounds like he's asking if he can buy a subsidized iPhone 5 from Apple, not have it activated, and then take it over to AT&T for activation. AFAIK, the answer to that is "no".
Hmm, I wasn't recommending unsubsidized, just answering your comment.

Well, he said he wants the new phone on his current line, subsidized. All he has to do is buy that, activate. Done. So, there's no reason to go to ATT, the answer is not just "no", it's "why would you".

Then he wants a new line, with what will then be an unused phone. He could go to ATT to get that done. Or possibly just at home on the internet, although I'm not familiar with ATT, been on Tmob and VZW only.

It doesn't need to be done all in the same minute. The i4 will be fine, it just becomes an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.