Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_11_icon-150x150.jpg
In line with yesterday's report, Apple has just released iTunes 11 to the public. The new software brings a number of enhancements including a redesigned store, simplified player, and new iCloud features.
- Completely Redesigned. iTunes makes it more fun to explore and enjoy your music, movies, and TV shows. You'll love the beautiful edge-to-edge design, custom designs for each album, movie, or TV show in your library, and getting personal recommendations any time you click in the Store.

- A New Store. The iTunes Store has been completely redesigned and now features a clean look that makes it simpler than ever to see what's hot and discover new favorites.

- Play purchases from iCloud. Your music, movie, and TV show purchases in iCloud now appear inside your library. Just sign-in with your Apple ID to see them. Double-click to play them directly from iCloud or download a copy you can sync to a device or play while offline.

- Up Next. It's now simple to see which songs are playing next, all from a single place. Just click the Up Next icon in the center display and they'll instantly appear. You can even reorder, add, or skip songs whenever you like.

- New MiniPlayer. You can now do a whole lot more with a lot less space. In addition to showing what's playing, MiniPlayer now includes album art, adds Up Next, and makes it easy to search for something new to play - all from a smaller and more elegant design.

- Improved search. It's never been easier to find what you're looking for in iTunes. Just type in the search field and you'll instantly see results from across your entire library. Select any result and iTunes takes you right to it.

- Playback syncing. iCloud now remembers your place in a movie or TV show for you. Whenever you play the same movie or episode from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV, it will continue right where you left off.
itunes_11.jpg
The software is currently available through Software Update in the Mac App Store, and Apple should be updating its iTunes pages shortly.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 11 with Simplified Player, Redesigned Store, and More

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, about time! I was thinking it would be delayed again until 6.1 in December.

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Finally! Thank God!

EDIT: First impression: It's nice, but ugh, going full-screen in video still blacks out my other monitor.
EDIT2: They removed the Visualizer. o.o. At least on the Windows version. I'm updating my Mac now to see if it has the same thing.
EDIT3: They still have the Visualizer in both Windows and Mac versions. On the Mac, nothing's changed. On Windows, you can either press CTRL+T like always, or click on to the top left button and then click on "Show Menu Bar," and then proceed like you used to.

Last edited:

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Well ladies and gentelmen. It's here.

Start your complaining! :D

Just kidding...

Please don't :eek:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Up and running :) Clean.

Per a comment in another thread:

Stoplight yellow and green operate per a normal OSX window, the little bar on the top right is now the convert to mini player control.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
First complaint: The gradient on the 'now playing' bar seems too...'steep' and not very..."Apple".

Edit with more thoughts: It does feel like a non-Apple app...maybe its a new design direction they are taking. It just feels a lot 'bolder' and 'darker' than other apps - certainly nowhere near as clean and refined as some Apple built apps, and there are a few inconsistencies such as one of the bars being a completely different gradient when you switch to store pages - it looks a little out of place...almost like a mistake.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Amazes me people are so trigger happy in upgrading to such a substantial update / overhaul. Think I'll hold off for a few days to see if there are any issues.

kpress3

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Figures, they release this just as I have to go to class! It's finally here though!!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yes! Movies and TV shows can be streamed without downloading locally!

Also, you can just select to download iTunes extras to your Mac, without the movie. Awesome!

Loving this so far. :D

Edit: clicking "Play Movie" on the Extras without having a local copy downloaded also initiates streaming of the movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.