Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
uvaag
macrumors newbie

Weird Hard Drive Corruption - Any advice?

I have used macs for 30 years but this has me stumped. Put all my hard drives [10] in a network to search for files but two of them exhibited the weirdest behaviour and im not sure how to fix it.

hard drive A - a 1tB WD portable with 3 partitions A1 A2 A3
hard drive B - a 2tB WD powered with a single partition with only films

The weird part - the first partition on drive A1 [135GB] (a system clone) has replaced (or so it seems) the whole 2TB drive B - so that it reads as being a 135GB disk with no other space. How could it do that without a command or something? Tried Data Rescue 3 which sees the 3 partitions on disk A so probably OK there- but 2TB of Films on disk B nowhere to be seen. It has even renamed disk B from FILM 6 to Macintosh HD. Anyone have any ideas? I tried Disk Drill which also does not see the missing films. as I say never seen this before unless someone has hacked into my network and messed it up...
uvaag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Prosoft Support
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvaag View Post
I have used macs for 30 years but this has me stumped. Put all my hard drives [10] in a network to search for files but two of them exhibited the weirdest behaviour and im not sure how to fix it.

hard drive A - a 1tB WD portable with 3 partitions A1 A2 A3
hard drive B - a 2tB WD powered with a single partition with only films

The weird part - the first partition on drive A1 [135GB] (a system clone) has replaced (or so it seems) the whole 2TB drive B - so that it reads as being a 135GB disk with no other space. How could it do that without a command or something? Tried Data Rescue 3 which sees the 3 partitions on disk A so probably OK there- but 2TB of Films on disk B nowhere to be seen. It has even renamed disk B from FILM 6 to Macintosh HD. Anyone have any ideas? I tried Disk Drill which also does not see the missing films. as I say never seen this before unless someone has hacked into my network and messed it up...
Hi-

When you say you were searching 10 drives over the network , how were these 10 drives connected to the network specifically ?

Also, can you tell me which OS your on and what id the file system of the drives in question ?

Thanks,

Mike
Prosoft Support is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:54 AM   #3
uvaag
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

The system log was turned over so I can't give you the id of the drives - they were connected to a powered hub and an unpowered one to a mac mini - by network I mean my Macbook Pro and my mac mini - I did get numerous messages that a disk was ejected too soon - then it reappeared - It seemed to be the portable was not drawing enough power so I dismissed them - the setup seems to have swapped the portables first partition 135GB with the 2TB powered hard drives data [the first 135GB at least - I have been running Disk Drill for two days to recover most of the film files I hope - it is still running] but it is as if I had run Carbon Copy Cloner to copy one drive to another - it is something I have never come across - a random destruction of the directory of one partition by another

----------

Sorry Mike I forgot to say the mm is running 10.7.5 and the MB is 10.8.2
uvaag is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help