Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In Apple's just-released iTunes 11, users visiting the iTunes Store to redeem gift cards have a new option allowing them to simply take a photo of the code on the back of the card with their computer's camera in order to redeem their cards.

itunes_11_gift_card_camera.jpg
The option, which requires a card containing a box around the code to assist with recognition, allows users to quickly and easily redeem gift cards without having to worry about accurately typing in the unique 16-character code. Users are also still allowed to enter their codes manually for redemption.

Article Link: iTunes 11 Store Adds Gift Card Redemption Via Camera

jeremiahfelt

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Starbucks?

I'd love it if this applied to those '(App|Song|Book|Video) of the week' paper cards you can get at Starbucks. I usually pick one up but so seldom redeem them because the code is a pain in the tookus.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Finally don't have to worry about scratching off the numbers and having to email iTunes support. (which I've had to do way too many times).

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I don't know why this took so long. Its a huge overdue feature. Such a pain to type those codes.

Strange that it goes to the Mac first, where it is much easier to scan with a phone.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm glad Apple has improved the iTunes gift card "system". First peel off stickers instead of scratch and now this. Very cool.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
Awesome addition! Typing gift card codes has always been very annoying, and I'm sure their customer support got lots of emails about invalid codes when people really just mis-typed.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
I'd love it if this applied to those '(App|Song|Book|Video) of the week' paper cards you can get at Starbucks. I usually pick one up but so seldom redeem them because the code is a pain in the tookus.

I know! And even though letters in the code are all the same case it's still case sensitive. I tried one last week and rather than click the shift button every letter I assumed it would work lowercase. ARGH.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI

Download the Starbucks App and all the free picks get emailed right to the app and you can click the link to download instantly.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
...and rather than click the shift button every letter I assumed it would work lowercase. ARGH.

Caps Lock?

(Or you can hold down shift the whole time. No need to press it again for each letter, except for those pesky numbers, I suppose.)

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
can you just put a rectangle around an old card/code?

and yes, have always thought this would be a GREAT tjhing to add to the phones/pods/pads.

and mine don't seem to be case sensitive...either phone or Mac when entering codes.

jason3w

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
I don't see the option to select "camera" either, in Australia.

----------

can confirm, after now logging into the USA store, which i also have an account for, that the camera options seems to be for the USA store only. It's showing now, where as in the australian store, it didn't give the option :(
why of why??

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
this feature is legit. Just used the camera to scan two cards i got for my birthday and it blew my mind how fast it recognized them and credited my account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.