Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Got my black iPhone 5 a few weeks back ... all was perfect, except for a speck of something under the screen.

I was 50/50 with regards to just keeping it, but I ended up getting it replaced as I wanted my £699 phone to be perfect.

The replacement arrived with either a scratch on the LCD, or a row of dead pixels.

I'm now on my second replacement (3rd phone) and went for a white one this time, to see if switching colours would bring me a bit of luck.

NOPE!

It has very bright dead pixels, slap bang in the centre of the screen which simply GLOW on a black background!

I SO wish I'd have kept the first iPhone with the speck under the screen. My eyes are razor sharp and it was hard, if not difficult for me to ignore it all of the time but with hindsight I would have just lived with it and got on with enjoying the phone.

I am now left with another "dud" phone, boxed up and waiting to be collected for return ... then another wait for a replacement to arrive.

The moral of the story ...

I have come to accept that it is near to impossible to buy an Apple product and have it arrive with zero defects. I picked up my 64gb iPad 4th gen with cellular on Friday, and that too has a speck under the screen, but I am going to just keep it. I am sick of the "exchange game".

I am returning this iPhone as dead pixels can worsen. However, if the replacement arrives with a speck under the screen but no dead pixels, then I will keep it and just get on with using and enjoying it.

It is such a shame that I have had to come to this conclusion with a brand that charges a big premium for their products, but the moral of the story is ... that's just the way it is!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
This is one of the many reasons why I'm not in a rush to upgrade. However I hear nothing like this with the white iphones, all the complaints are about the black ones, maybe you should go for white instead?

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
This is one of the many reasons why I'm not in a rush to upgrade. However I hear nothing like this with the white iphones, all the complaints are about the black ones, maybe you should go for white instead?

Reno, I tried that.

This current replacement is a white one.

I've requested that the next replacement is black though as in my opinion it looks better.

I'll just have to be careful with it, to prevent chipping on the banding.

I so wish I'd kept the first one ...

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I too was burned with the replacement game.

Finally got one that's acceptable but the power button rattles. I'm just living with it. QC-wise the iPhone 5 has been my worst experience with Apple yet.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Reno, I tried that.

This current replacement is a white one.

I've requested that the next replacement is black though as in my opinion it looks better.

I'll just have to be careful with it, to prevent chipping on the banding.

I so wish I'd kept the first one ...

Oh I see, so sorry. Everytime I think to pull the trigger when in the att store I remember that I totally do not want to go through your (and many others) ordeal. I think I may just go grab a 4s for now and wait to see what the 5s brings...

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Oh I see, so sorry. Everytime I think to pull the trigger when in the att store I remember that I totally do not want to go through your (and many others) ordeal. I think I may just go grab a 4s for now and wait to see what the 5s brings...

This is why I'm doing it via the phone/email.

It has become far too embarrassing to keep returning stuff to Apple stores.

Don't "settle" for a 4S ... the 5 is much better. Besides, I had problems finding a good 4S, too!

It is just so FRUSTRATING, paying so much money for a device but practically KNOWING that there will be SOMETHING wrong with it ... know what I mean?!

Check out the other thread that I just started in the iPhone forum ... makes you think!

----------

I too was burned with the replacement game.

Finally got one that's acceptable but the power button rattles. I'm just living with it. QC-wise the iPhone 5 has been my worst experience with Apple yet.

Mike ... it's a shame that we have to settle for "acceptable" with Apple, but I think that's just the way it is.

Either that, or we go without!

My brand new 4th gen iPad with cellular has 3 specks under the screen (two tiny ones which are right by the left & right bezels, and one in the middle line, to the right) but I am going to keep it.

Even the Smart Case that I bought on the same day (Black Friday) has started to come apart!! I'm changing that, but keeping the iPad.

Check out the other thread that I just started here in the iPhone forum ... says it all :(

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
It's not impossible to get a perfect iPhone 5. I've seen several. Keep trying. Have you tried going into the store so you can visually inspect it yourself?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Got my black iPhone 5 a few weeks back ... all was perfect, except for a speck of something under the screen.

I was 50/50 with regards to just keeping it, but I ended up getting it replaced as I wanted my £699 phone to be perfect.

The replacement arrived with either a scratch on the LCD, or a row of dead pixels.

I'm now on my second replacement (3rd phone) and went for a white one this time, to see if switching colours would bring me a bit of luck.

NOPE!

It has very bright dead pixels, slap bang in the centre of the screen which simply GLOW on a black background!

I SO wish I'd have kept the first iPhone with the speck under the screen. My eyes are razor sharp and it was hard, if not difficult for me to ignore it all of the time but with hindsight I would have just lived with it and got on with enjoying the phone.

I am now left with another "dud" phone, boxed up and waiting to be collected for return ... then another wait for a replacement to arrive.

The moral of the story ...

I have come to accept that it is near to impossible to buy an Apple product and have it arrive with zero defects. I picked up my 64gb iPad 4th gen with cellular on Friday, and that too has a speck under the screen, but I am going to just keep it. I am sick of the "exchange game".

I am returning this iPhone as dead pixels can worsen. However, if the replacement arrives with a speck under the screen but no dead pixels, then I will keep it and just get on with using and enjoying it.

It is such a shame that I have had to come to this conclusion with a brand that charges a big premium for their products, but the moral of the story is ... that's just the way it is!
what happened to your nice signature you had earlier?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Mike ... it's a shame that we have to settle for "acceptable" with Apple, but I think that's just the way it is.

Either that, or we go without!

My brand new 4th gen iPad with cellular has 3 specks under the screen (two tiny ones which are right by the left & right bezels, and one in the middle line, to the right) but I am going to keep it.

Even the Smart Case that I bought on the same day (Black Friday) has started to come apart!! I'm changing that, but keeping the iPad.

Check out the other thread that I just started here in the iPhone forum ... says it all :(

You aren't lying. And I forgot my experience with the 4th gen iPad. I went through not one but TWO units with faulty home buttons. It was loosely seated and would make almost like a "crunch" noise if brushed against. Almost like a two-stage button feel to it.

Finally I said "eff this" and returned it and stuck with my iPad 3rd gen.

I'm afraid to buy anything else Apple to be honest...

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
im just going to wait til next year because i got my wife on a new workout plan so i can get the QC up in that body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.