Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1
skitzogreg
macrumors 6502

iTunes 11 and iCloud Playlist Sync (NOT iTunes Match)

After researching iTunes 11, I noticed that littered amongst Apple's documentation and non-Apple previews is information regarding iCloud sync for iTunes. However, the information only references starting/stopping media that is synced (sunk?) between devices, e.g. I can pause a move in iTunes on my computer and start in the same spot on my iPhone. The only thing that makes iCloud miserable (for me personally) is the lack of playlist syncing without purchasing iTunes match. Even with iTunes match, it only syncs songs that are actually in the cloud, excluding anything that didn't, well, 'match'. Will iTunes 11 finally let us sync playlists in iCloud to officially untether our iDevices from our home network/USB connections?
iPhone 5 64GB
skitzogreg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:09 AM   #2
BanterClaus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
After researching iTunes 11, I noticed that littered amongst Apple's documentation and non-Apple previews is information regarding iCloud sync for iTunes. However, the information only references starting/stopping media that is synced (sunk?) between devices, e.g. I can pause a move in iTunes on my computer and start in the same spot on my iPhone. The only thing that makes iCloud miserable (for me personally) is the lack of playlist syncing without purchasing iTunes match. Even with iTunes match, it only syncs songs that are actually in the cloud, excluding anything that didn't, well, 'match'. Will iTunes 11 finally let us sync playlists in iCloud to officially untether our iDevices from our home network/USB connections?
It doesn't only sync playlists that have matching songs. I have iTunes match and it syncs all of my songs in playlists not just the ones that have been matched.
BanterClaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3
skitzogreg
macrumors 6502

Regardless, does anyone know if iTunes 11 will allow iCloud to sync playlists without the iTunes match service?
iPhone 5 64GB
skitzogreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Regardless, does anyone know if iTunes 11 will allow iCloud to sync playlists without the iTunes match service?
No one does and it's not likely.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:05 AM   #5
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Apple provides a service that does what you want. It's called iTunes Match.

As noted, Match doesn't only give you access to music it 'matches'; anything it can't match from your library it uploads, so long as it is at least 64k quality. The entire point of Match, from my perspective, is to not only give you access to your entire library from anywhere, but to keep playlists/metadata in sync across devices. Playlists it does very well, metadata is still a bit flaky.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
cgm707
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post

As noted, Match doesn't only give you access to music it 'matches'; anything it can't match from your library it uploads, so long as it is at least 64k quality. The entire point of Match, from my perspective, is to not only give you access to your entire library from anywhere, but to keep playlists/metadata in sync across devices. Playlists it does very well, metadata is still a bit flaky.
The playlist/iCloud issue is a pain in the ass. On my Macbook, I am not able to add songs to playlists without the message that the playlist will only be available on this computer if I continue. It doesn't seem like rocket science to expect customers to want to sync playlists via iCloud.
cgm707 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:32 PM   #7
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm707 View Post
The playlist/iCloud issue is a pain in the ass. On my Macbook, I am not able to add songs to playlists without the message that the playlist will only be available on this computer if I continue. It doesn't seem like rocket science to expect customers to want to sync playlists via iCloud.
How are playlists supposed to be kept in sync if music isn't?

That's the crux of why it isn't offered separate from Match. Apple tends to offer complete solutions; if you want partial ones, plenty of choices elsewhere.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:24 PM   #8
skitzogreg
macrumors 6502

Rest assured, this necro was not a call for attention. Rather, now that iTunes 11 has launched, I still have the same question. Has this been answered today by any chance? I downloaded the software earlier, but I haven't had time to test the iCloud capabilities.
iPhone 5 64GB
skitzogreg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:21 PM   #9
aaronCabral
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Rest assured, this necro was not a call for attention. Rather, now that iTunes 11 has launched, I still have the same question. Has this been answered today by any chance? I downloaded the software earlier, but I haven't had time to test the iCloud capabilities.
I just downloaded iTunes 11 and I have iTunes Match. Before my playlists would sync fine between my iMac, iPhone, and iPad. Now my iMac (iTunes library) is not syncing playlists with my other devices. I get the same message about only being able to use a playlist on my computer because it will be taken off iCloud. I am really confused and still trying to figure this out but something doesn't seem right. When I create a playlist on my iTunes library (iMac) it doesn't automatically go to iCloud. In other words I am not seeing it on my other devices. I thought this was the whole point?
aaronCabral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:31 PM   #10
aaronCabral
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronCabral View Post
I just downloaded iTunes 11 and I have iTunes Match. Before my playlists would sync fine between my iMac, iPhone, and iPad. Now my iMac (iTunes library) is not syncing playlists with my other devices. I get the same message about only being able to use a playlist on my computer because it will be taken off iCloud. I am really confused and still trying to figure this out but something doesn't seem right. When I create a playlist on my iTunes library (iMac) it doesn't automatically go to iCloud. In other words I am not seeing it on my other devices. I thought this was the whole point?
Update: a playlist that I created on my iTunes library just finally showed up as available to stream or download on my iPad. It was about 3 hours later so there was a major delay. Still waiting for it to show up available on my iPhone. At least I know it works, even if there is a big lag.
aaronCabral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
I know this is an old post...but why should I have to spend 21.99 a year on Match just to sync playlists?

Apple markets their iOS devices with iCloud and whatnot, and how you can start it up without needing a computer...but it seems like you need a computer just to simply copy across playlists, otherwise you need to fork up 21.99/year...21.99/year just so that you can have a text file (I'm assuming it's as simple as a text file) go through the air to your phone? It can't be that difficult.

I really hope they unveil this feature tomorrow.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:47 AM   #12
rctlr
macrumors 6502

I found backing up to icloud will back up the playlists, so restoring them will work, however it will only downloads songs which you have purchased.

itunes match is a lot better at music management between devices.
rctlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services