Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jisaac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
This past year I won the battle to switch away from my ThinkPad and got a MBP (15" late-2011 2.4GHz i7 with AMD 6770M and 8GB RAM). And finally gained approval to also purchase a new display for my office as I am sick of plugging in my network cable, power, USB hub, and two cables to my mini display port dual link every morning when I arrive to the office. Currently I am using two Phillips 240BW displays running a combined 3840 x 1200.

I would like to upgrade to the ThunderBolt Display and take advantage of the dock-like benefit of TB. I know there have been some issues here and there with the TBD but overall they look beautiful and it will be nice to have menus pop up on my screen not in-between the two as they do now.

Anyone have current/updated info on the TBD availability in the new format similar to the new iMacs? Having USB 3.0 would be a big benefit as my local storage drives are both 3.0 and I currently connect via 2.0. And since I know it will be a while until I can get more money approved, I would like to get newest version even if I need to wait a couple weeks.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Assuming a new ATD would be based on the same screen and ports as the new 27" iMac (which is only starting to be offered on Friday with delivers in December (31st?).....I would not bet on a new ATD before mid 2013. Likely Apple needs all the screens it can make for the iMacs. Maybe we know more by the end of the weekend.

If you go for the current ATD, you can get refurbed ones for $829 from Apple (watch the sales tax) or a new one from B&H for $929.

swordsmn

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
It gets me a bit upset that Apple refreshes everything BUT the TBolt Display to usb 3.0

I would not drop $1000 on what is even within their own line, obsolete.

True, you & I presently own only usb2.0 Apples... but what if you acquire a present day MBA or MBP or mini? those holes on the back of the display won't be docking any fast standalone usb3 HDD's anytime soon... sigh

GoSooners

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
This past year I won the battle to switch away from my ThinkPad and got a MBP (15" late-2011 2.4GHz i7 with AMD 6770M and 8GB RAM). And finally gained approval to also purchase a new display for my office as I am sick of plugging in my network cable, power, USB hub, and two cables to my mini display port dual link every morning when I arrive to the office. Currently I am using two Phillips 240BW displays running a combined 3840 x 1200.

I would like to upgrade to the ThunderBolt Display and take advantage of the dock-like benefit of TB. I know there have been some issues here and there with the TBD but overall they look beautiful and it will be nice to have menus pop up on my screen not in-between the two as they do now.

Anyone have current/updated info on the TBD availability in the new format similar to the new iMacs? Having USB 3.0 would be a big benefit as my local storage drives are both 3.0 and I currently connect via 2.0. And since I know it will be a while until I can get more money approved, I would like to get newest version even if I need to wait a couple weeks.

I just noticed you mentioning running 2x 1920x1200 displays with the mini DP dual link adapter. Does this run like a true dual monitor setup?? (Ie, maximizing a window maximizes it in one monitor, or does it stretch it between the two?)

mtmac

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I've been waiting since I bought my Air last summer. It seemed like they were going to come out with them in September because of their last few updates being a year apart.

But the imac was delayed, and now the 27" just changed from being available in 2-3 weeks, to being 3-4 weeks. The TB display may already be designed, but waiting for imacs to come out, and most feel they won't appear until iMac production catches up to demand. I think that's most likely, so I'm now guessing a spring appearance is most probable, primarily dependent on wether production issues have been solved with the screens, or if it will be an on-going bottleneck. While selling a lot less volume, I have to think that the TBD have a much higher margin than the iMacs, so it may not be that far off. This is the kind of product that Apple doesn't always pre-announce. Who knows, we could be lucky and have them just appear at the stores and online when the 27" imac ships.

I think the new TB display will be worth the grand when it comes out, but I agree, the USB 2.0 in the current model is so far behind. Remember Apple was late to the USB 3.0 game, and even when the 1st (current) TBD came out, USB 3.0 was already in a lot of Windows machines. A display should last for a long time, so the dock part will only be further antiquated as time goes on. If you have to buy a display in the next couple weeks, I'd just by a display, as the TBD is over-priced for a great display, but an already outdated dock. Buy a display now and When the third party docks come out, get something that's current.

I'm really hoping that when the new TBD do come out, that they have a graphics card. A replaceable card would probably be asking for too much. With the elimination of dedicated graphics cards in so many macs, It would make so much sense to put one in. It would really enhance the home dock, and capitalize on TB technology. The card in the monitor, rather than in your portable device saves weight, heat and battery life, but still makes your home system more robust, vs slower driving a large monitor without a card. This would really set them further apart from just a display, and justify that high price tag. New thin design, anti-glare screen, height matched to iMac, USB 3.0, and hopefully it'll have the audio jack, a second TB port along with the graphics card. But the new iMacs seem to be more about aesthetics than large performance updates, so it may not get a graphics card, which is really too bad. Apple will eventually lose its appeal if beauty stays just skin deep.

jisaac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
I just noticed you mentioning running 2x 1920x1200 displays with the mini DP dual link adapter. Does this run like a true dual monitor setup?? (Ie, maximizing a window maximizes it in one monitor, or does it stretch it between the two?)

Sorry for the delay. It is supposed to with the adapter and Matrox software. But, it has never really functioned correctly. As such, I do too much resizing etc. The most frustrating part is notifications that center on the screen!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I've been waiting since I bought my Air last summer. It seemed like they were going to come out with them in September because of their last few updates being a year apart.

But the imac was delayed, and now the 27" just changed from being available in 2-3 weeks, to being 3-4 weeks. The TB display may already be designed, but waiting for imacs to come out, and most feel they won't appear until iMac production catches up to demand. I think that's most likely, so I'm now guessing a spring appearance is most probable, primarily dependent on wether production issues have been solved with the screens, or if it will be an on-going bottleneck. While selling a lot less volume, I have to think that the TBD have a much higher margin than the iMacs, so it may not be that far off. This is the kind of product that Apple doesn't always pre-announce. Who knows, we could be lucky and have them just appear at the stores and online when the 27" imac ships.

Exactly right.

I think the new TB display will be worth the grand when it comes out, but I agree, the USB 2.0 in the current model is so far behind. Remember Apple was late to the USB 3.0 game, and even when the 1st (current) TBD came out, USB 3.0 was already in a lot of Windows machines. A display should last for a long time, so the dock part will only be further antiquated as time goes on. If you have to buy a display in the next couple weeks, I'd just by a display, as the TBD is over-priced for a great display, but an already outdated dock. Buy a display now and When the third party docks come out, get something that's current.

I'm really hoping that when the new TBD do come out, that they have a graphics card. A replaceable card would probably be asking for too much. With the elimination of dedicated graphics cards in so many macs, It would make so much sense to put one in. It would really enhance the home dock, and capitalize on TB technology. The card in the monitor, rather than in your portable device saves weight, heat and battery life, but still makes your home system more robust, vs slower driving a large monitor without a card. This would really set them further apart from just a display, and justify that high price tag. New thin design, anti-glare screen, height matched to iMac, USB 3.0, and hopefully it'll have the audio jack, a second TB port along with the graphics card. But the new iMacs seem to be more about aesthetics than large performance updates, so it may not get a graphics card, which is really too bad. Apple will eventually lose its appeal if beauty stays just skin deep.

Not going to happen until we see a fibre iteration of TB; not anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.