Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kluce6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
I am on a IMAC, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I upgraded to Lion and now I get a message that I can't open Microsoft Word because PowerPC applications are no longer supported! Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
not really,

Lion did away with Rosetta, which provided on the fly emulation for PPC coded software. This is why many people running Quicken were stuck with 10.6 You will either need to buy the new version of Office, get a current version of an office alternative, or do a clean install of an older OS. Sorry for the bad news.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I am on a IMAC, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I upgraded to Lion and now I get a message that I can't open Microsoft Word because PowerPC applications are no longer supported! Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

Nope, time to drag your wallet out of your pocket and update that 8 year old copy of MS Office from MS Office 2004 to MS Office 2011.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
there is OpenOffice, which you could try using. Free and open source. I've never tried it, but plenty of tech people seem to like it.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
there is OpenOffice, which you could try using. Free and open source. I've never tried it, but plenty of tech people seem to like it.

I agree it's an alternative however for a minor amount of money (about $100) the OP can have the genuine article. However then again $100 may be a fortune for him too so he has to weigh the merits.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I agree it's an alternative however for a minor amount of money (about $100) the OP can have the genuine article. However then again $100 may be a fortune for him too so he has to weigh the merits.

Or Pages, Numbers and Keynote from Apple might serve his needs, each available independently, for about $20 each if I recall.

I have someone I used to work with, that calls me up every now and then for tech support. He has been using AppleWorks (formerly Claris Works) for the last five years on his iBook. Works just fine for him. I assume most of the iWork package is based on that software.

There are alternatives, but I can sympathize with the OP's frustration. Apple has a thing for dropping support for stuff people still use even when the alternatives aren't always to the consumer's liking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.