Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wehokev

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I'm planning on ordering a 27" iMac tomorrow. The only option I can't decide on is the graphics card upgrade.

I'm not a high end gamer, but I am looking forward to playing SimCity when it comes out next year and I play Civilization occasionally. I've never edited a video, and even if I did start, I can't imagine it would be a big project. But, I do use iPhoto and Photoshop Elements a lot. So my question is:

Would I see a significant benefit in photo uploading, editing, etc. if I opt for the 680 versus the 675?

The guy I chatted with at the Apple store said "probably not" and encouraged me to upgrade the RAM instead. Which I will do myself after it arrives. So, I was leaning no.

Then I saw these posts from the MacRumors fourms:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1498651/

It wasn't much help.

This one was better, but was more about video editing rather than iPhoto and Photoshop.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1497989/

That advice mostly came down along the "just buy it" lines. But, the original poster is doing tons of video editing, which I am not.

Argh! I can't decide. Help.

-kevin

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I really don't think you would see much difference in photo editing. Definitely not in uploading.

The only cases where it would potentially help would be in computationally difficult tasks like applying filters to a large photo, as those tasks are sometimes GPU accelerated.

It will definitely help out with the games you mentioned. Neither are particularly demanding games graphically, but the 27" iMac has a large native resolution so running games at native res can be a bit taxing.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
It's a pretty cheap upgrade, so I'm going for it. It does have more RAM on the card, plus it is way faster, looking at specs online. Better safe than sorry. You can't change it after.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
That graphics card is probably the single most interesting thing on the 27" iMac from my perspective... if you're going to game with a screen that big, may as well! The price difference is small.

As for photo and video editing, negligible difference.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
I use Second Life quite a bit. To me doubling the memory of a nvidia for only $150 is a no-brainer. Any inherent performance difference between the 2 cards (if the same memory) is a plus after that. As has been said, it is one of the things you can not easily upgrade later so how much will that "I really wish I had a faster gpu" be worth to you a few years from now?

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'd go for it. The price isn't that huge of a difference in the overall scheme of things. You will notice a difference in playing Civ V, which is a fairly graphically intense game. And the upgrade will serve you well if you intend to keep your computer for several years, not to mention resell value.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I don't play any games. Rather just use the $150 extra for AppleCare warranty rather than the graphics on the base $1999 model.

The fusion $250 option is almost a must on the new iMacs.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Honestly they priced the 680MX upgrade very aggressively. If you (1) planned to order online anyway and (2) have the extra $150, there's really no reason not to buy it to future proof your iMac.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Smart things to do when buying a new 27 iMac (everyone should do this):

-fusion,
-only the base ram (buy yourself when you need it)
-680mx.

No matter what you do with your computer, if you do not do this you are not being a very smart buyer.

Also, most likely, apple will offer more SSD only options down the road, when they master the process of building iMacs (just like the 15 rMBP), so 1300 for that SSD option seems a bad buy.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Smart things to do when buying a new 27 iMac (everyone should do this):

-fusion,
-only the base ram (buy yourself when you need it)
-680mx.

No matter what you do with your computer, if you do not do this you are not being a very smart buyer.

Also, most likely, apple will offer more SSD only options down the road, when they master the process of building iMacs (just like the 15 rMBP), so 1300 for that SSD option seems a bad buy.

I agree except on the ram.
I bought mine with 16g, because I plan on going to 32GB. (So i wanted 2 - 8GB sticks) and then I will buy 2 8GB aftermarket. But yes unless you plan on going 32GB right away, I agree.

I run multiple large VM's , so yes I do need 32GB (for those about to troll my response).

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
I agree except on the ram.
I bought mine with 16g, because I plan on going to 32GB. (So i wanted 2 - 8GB sticks) and then I will buy 2 8GB aftermarket. But yes unless you plan on going 32GB right away, I agree.

I run multiple large VM's , so yes I do need 32GB (for those about to troll my response).

you have a retina 15, a new iMac (almost), and those iDevices. What do you do for a living? Teach me, master.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
It really does depend on what you will be using it for

Specifically you will see virtually no benefit in video related tasks such as encoding etc. between the medium and high end graphics cards. (and actually for serious encoding, the hard disk makes the biggest difference)

OTOH: if you game a lot, the improvements in frame rates etc will make the game more enjoyable.

For me,who tends to use the computer for lots of things, overall responsiveness means more to me so more RAM and a SSD or Fusion drive mean more and possibly a processor upgrade as well. Yes it may only be a couple seconds here and three seconds there, but over the course of hours/days/months it adds up

Short answer I'm ordering the mid level 27 with a fusion drive and will upgrade the RAM myself

Senor Manzana

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Ok, i'm not a gamer and plan on using my Imac for photoshop and some final cut projects (nothing fancy). Now i feel i should have ordered a 680 instead of the 675. Do you all think that if i change my order my shipping time will change?

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
From a resale POV, the 680 will do quite well in a year if you get something else. Far as gaming, the gpu is the best option one can get. It's quite a steal for only $150. Don't upgrade the RAM via apple and you'll be well off.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I couldn't justify the additional cost. I don't play any serious games on it, I don't do any video editing. I work with photography quite a bit, but that doesn't tax the video card.

It looks like the 680 is quite a bit faster, I just don't have any need for it.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Would I see a significant benefit in photo uploading, editing, etc. if I opt for the 680 versus the 675?

This quote this morning form diglloyd who runs pretty performance heavy photoshop editing for what it is worth:

For most users, the “faster” graphics do nothing useful. Hype mainly. For me, they do nothing, and I use Photoshop and other photo programs heavily. I disable OpenGL for my work (OpenGL needed to use the GPU). Gamers, serious video processing, etc all can use a faster GPU.

wehokev

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. In the end, that was the only upgrade (besides ram, of course) that I didn't take. Had to draw the line somewhere.

photoz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2006
This quote this morning form diglloyd who runs pretty performance heavy photoshop editing for what it is worth:

For most users, the “faster” graphics do nothing useful. Hype mainly. For me, they do nothing, and I use Photoshop and other photo programs heavily. I disable OpenGL for my work (OpenGL needed to use the GPU). Gamers, serious video processing, etc all can use a faster GPU.

This makes zero sense. A heavy photoshop user and he disables OpenGL??? Perhaps if he enabled OpenGL and realized the benefits that it provides in PS (scrubby zoom is the obvious), then maybe a better vid card would be worth it.
I for one went 680MX, you can't buy video ram third party.

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
Ok, i'm not a gamer and plan on using my Imac for photoshop and some final cut projects (nothing fancy). Now i feel i should have ordered a 680 instead of the 675. Do you all think that if i change my order my shipping time will change?

I ordered early on the 30th, with 2-3 weeks shipping. I also questioned my choice on the graphics card, so I called back and cancelled my order to add the 680MX. I also forgot to use my wife's educational discount, so added that as well. The $ I saved from the educational discount was used to add the 680MX and a trackpad. But now at 3-4 weeks :( But glad I did it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.