Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Flac music store

Does anyone know of any legal Flac music stores? And also if I convert an mp3 to a Flac file will the music quality increase?

Last edited by rabidz7; Nov 28, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Grammer
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Scott549
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
Does anyone know of any legal Flac music stores? And also if I convert an mp3 to a Flac file will the music quality increase?
Not sure whether you are serious, but no, of course not, you can't increase the music quality. When you convert, you are making a copy of what you have. The copy can be the same or worse, but not better.
Scott549 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It's like you can't make a cooked egg back to a raw egg.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
bankshot
macrumors 65816

Scott549 and Simplicated are absolutely right on the quality question - it's impossible to put back information that was earlier thrown away.

As for legal lossless music, the only "major" store I'm aware of is hdtracks.com, but obviously their selection is very limited compared to iTunes or Amazon. I've also seen lossless music on artist-specific stores at musictoday.com, but unfortunately going to the main site there redirects to Ticketmaster/LiveNation.

Sure would be nice if Apple offered lossless... it's not like it'd take any more bandwidth than all the movies and TV they sell/rent, and I'd finally be able to stop buying CDs that clutter up my closets.
bankshot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Trinite
macrumors member

There's also Merge Records (mergerecords.com) - again, a limited selection, but at least it's out there....
Trinite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Check if "real" flac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankshot View Post
Scott549 and Simplicated are absolutely right on the quality question - it's impossible to put back information that was earlier thrown away.

As for legal lossless music, the only "major" store I'm aware of is hdtracks.com, but obviously their selection is very limited compared to iTunes or Amazon. I've also seen lossless music on artist-specific stores at musictoday.com, but unfortunately going to the main site there redirects to Ticketmaster/LiveNation.

Sure would be nice if Apple offered lossless... it's not like it'd take any more bandwidth than all the movies and TV they sell/rent, and I'd finally be able to stop buying CDs that clutter up my closets.
Is there a way to check if music is flac or has just been converted to flac.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Sixth Street
macrumors member

If any of your favorite artists sell on bandcamp, there will usually be a FLAC option. Otherwise, HDTracks is basically it.
Sixth Street is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Hyperion Records for some excellent classical music - in Apple Lossless format and others.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

Quote:
To answer both of your questions: (1) HDtracks is perhaps one of the best websites for FLAC files, just make sure you have a digital-to-analogue converter capable of 24-bit resolution playback. (2) No.

destroysall.
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:18 AM   #10
sophie24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
There is a great classical music independent label called Edelweiss Emission edelweissemission.com which offers lossless FLAC downloads and also MP3 320 kbps downloads.

As far as I know if you convert an mp3 to a FLAC file it will not increase the quality. However, I have read that MP3 320 kbps are great quality and are very similar to FLAC files (obviously not as great, but still much better than lower quality MP3s).

Hope that helps!
sophie24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
convert, download, flac, music, store