Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:36 PM   #1
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Charging with the iPod Hi-Fi

Does anyone know which is the last iPod to charge on the iPod Hi-Fi?

I tried hooking up my iPhone 5 to my Hi-Fi yesterday via the auxilary jack in the back...but the sound was just...off.

Not sure, but it did not sound as good as when i plug in my 5.5 gen video or is it just me?
ultra7k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:34 PM   #2
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

It should be the same sound... the last iPod to be able to charge from that should be the iPod classic. Essentially it's any iPod model that would charge from a Firewire cable.

To get the iPhone 5 to work with this, you would need two adapters: The Scoshe voltage adapter and the Dock-to-Lightning adapter. Your iPhone would be about 2 inches above the dock.

Try other equalizer presets. I like the "Electronic" one, regardless of the music I'm listening to.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
ultra7k
macrumors regular

So the classic (those are the newer ones right? The ones that haven't been refreshed in years?) will work? It won't be an iphone 4 situation where say, I plug it in and it'll play music but won't charge?

What about bluetooth solutions? Anyone have any experience with the Hi-Fi + bluetooth adapters?

It's just that the iPhone 5 sounds very muddled when playing through the auxiliary jack...

I wonder if setting up an airport express would be a better solution?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
yateseyd1991
macrumors regular

The sound difference you heard will have been caused by the different audio chips used in these devices. The iPod Video 5th Gen uses the far superior Wolfson audio chip (the best ever used in an iDevice) whereas the iPhone 5 uses a cheaper and noticeably inferior Cirrus audio chip that has been used in all iDevices from the iPhone 3G, iPod Classic 6th Gen, iPod Touch 2nd Gen and iPod Nano 2nd Gen

iPhone 5 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPhone 1st Gen Sealed, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB, Shure SE425's
yateseyd1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Ingster
macrumors regular

I use my Hi-Fi a lot, i have a 5.5 gen ipod video, most of the time it is used in this, i also have my airport express connected via 3.5mm cable to the Hi-Fi for airplay music streaming and does a good job.

I have been thinking for months whether it is worth getting a dock converter for the H-Fi that will enable me to use my iphone 4S in it, but i'm thinking about a 5 soon, so it wouldn't be worth it, plus my 5.5 gen has my entire library on it so i'm happy there!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:11 PM   #6
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yateseyd1991 View Post
The sound difference you heard will have been caused by the different audio chips used in these devices. The iPod Video 5th Gen uses the far superior Wolfson audio chip (the best ever used in an iDevice) whereas the iPhone 5 uses a cheaper and noticeably inferior Cirrus audio chip that has been used in all iDevices from the iPhone 3G, iPod Classic 6th Gen, iPod Touch 2nd Gen and iPod Nano 2nd Gen

iPhone 5 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPhone 1st Gen Sealed, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB, Shure SE425's
Ah I didn't know that the videos used higher quality chips. Very interesting. Tested it again yesterday, and it was more of the same.

Good to know....

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod