Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I'm looking into Vatsim too!
But, shouldn't the URL be http://www.vatsim.net?

BTW, X-Plane 10.20b5 is out.

Take a look here. Seems the autogen scenery is getting really impressive!

More info here.

Now... where's that Mac Pro with Radeon 7970...?

Yes it should have been so I fixed it in the post I made! I downloaded the 64 bit update and it broke all my plugin's including XSquawkbox so I am installing a fresh copy off the DVD 32 bit so I can get all my plugin's to work again. Especially so I can fly on VATSIM!

What time zone and/or country is everyone in so we can figure out a time to meet up at an airport. I can do just about anytime tonight or today that everyone needs! Be sure and sign up at http://www.vatsim.net and get your member number and password! Even if you are in the UK you sign up there! Then download XSquawkbox for the Mac OS! It's a little complicated at first but it is the best network available to be able to fly together! You do have to adhere to the rules though! I am planning on being on the network about 9-10 p.m. CST! If anyone wants to join me or needs help send me a private message as we will have to figure out what US airport to meet up at as I only have the X-Plane US Regional version for now! Maybe KSEA would be the best since it comes with the demo and the airport scenery is pretty good!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Hi in2tech and Macman45,

X-Plane 10.20 betas all have next to the 64 bits version ALSO the 32 bits version of the app!

No need to re-install X-Plane 10! :)

The 64-bits version does kill any plugins that are not 64-bits compatible yet.
So, if you want to use the 32 bits plugins then just start up "X-Plane 32bit".

10.20 beta is now at beta 5.
I usually fly the 32 bits version which is very stable. So, go ahead.... try it out!

Sometimes I fire up the 64 bits version and load some heavy scenery to see how well my Mac Pro performs. Some plugins are now 64 bits compatible, like AirTrack.
Things are looking great for X-Plane 10!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 10.57.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 10.57.06 PM.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,197

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hi in2tech and Macman45,

X-Plane 10.20 betas all have next to the 64 bits version ALSO the 32 bits version of the app!

No need to re-install X-Plane 10! :)

The 64-bits version does kill any plugins that are not 64-bits compatible yet.
So, if you want to use the 32 bits plugins then just start up "X-Plane 32bit".

10.20 beta is now at beta 5.
I usually fly the 32 bits version which is very stable. So, go ahead.... try it out!

Sometimes I fire up the 64 bits version and load some heavy scenery to see how well my Mac Pro performs. Some plugins are now 64 bits compatible, like AirTrack.
Things are looking great for X-Plane 10!

So the best course of action is to install a second copy and run that with the BETA 64 bit version?

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I think he is saying you only need one copy. After he posted and I had already installed a second copy, I noticed the 32 bit version in the same folder as the 64 bit meaning you only need one copy! Just click on the icon that says X-Plane 32 bit in the X-Plane folder. Isn't this what you were talking about?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I think he is saying you only need one copy. After he posted and I had already installed a second copy, I noticed the 32 bit version in the same folder as the 64 bit meaning you only need one copy! Just click on the icon that says X-Plane 32 bit in the X-Plane folder. Isn't this what you were talking about?

Yes, thanks for that...I am going to install it tomorrow and see what's what...as long as I can retain my current 32 Bit copy then I don't mind running the BETA, from what I've been reading on the boards, it's pretty close to a GM anyway. Thanks for the clarification...:)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yeah, what I meant was that the 10.20 betas install both the 64 bits version of the app AND the 32 bits version, in the same default X-Plane directory. So the user can startup which one he wants.

The 32 bits version runs absolutely fine, with all my known plugins and extras working perfectly.

The 64 bits version runs fine too. And, as stated earlier, it has no more "out of memory" issues! The problem is though that a few "extra's", "add-ons" and plugins don't work.

Stuff that I have noticed that doesn't work in 64 bits mode:
- Default 747-400: the navigations
- A couple of payware planes don't load
- Plugins I use: IGMaps, xGPS, Ground Services, Airport Navigator...

So, occasionally I fire up the 64 bits version of the app to have some fun around some heavy scenery, but most of the time I fly in 32 bits mode, therefore avoiding the heavy scenery.

I have no extra version of X-Plane 10 installed.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Xsquawkbox, Pushback, and that airport map thing don't work in the 64 bit version. Thanks for the info as I had multiple copies on my MBA and it was using my precious SSD space :) So now I deleted the extra folder (well actually backed it up to my 500 GB HD)! Still learning the planes in X-Plane so not ready for VATSIM prime time yet! Also take a look at to see people flying on VATSIM! Just enter it into the browser!

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I only recently discovered this app (on mobile and Android at that) and now want more!

I just fear my Core 2 Duo MBP wont be up to snuff even with the Nvidia 320m under the good. Upgraded the memory to 8GB and put in a much larger HDD but feel that it wont run nearly as smooth as my phone does even with a 720 display.

Anyone got a rig similar to mine with the ACD? Games look so beautiful on that monitor and few I can run at it's full native resolution but I know if I want to keep computer games looking great, it may be time to build a windows gaming rig or sell my entire setup for a new 27" iMac, or build a Windows gaming rig but I hate the clutter.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I had an email from X-Plan.org about the BETA yesterday, but I still haven't taken the plunge...How long until GM release I wonder? These constant "Out Of Memory" messages are starting to really annoy me though...I'm also getting "Scenery Loading Has been Disabled" as well.

Come on Austin, get the 64 bit version polished and released.:)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
IMHO, you can safely download the 10.20beta5.

The 32bits plugins will be incompatible anyway. Beta or not.

IMHO, if your favourite aircraft works fine in 64 bits, then go right ahead!
The auto-gen scenery (buildings where cities should be) has improved dramatically! :)

I fly the 10.20beta5 in 32bits mode, with all my favourite aircraft and plugins working flawlessly. Of course... in 32bits mode I have to avoid the heavy scenery still.... but I need my plugins ;)

So, I am waiting for the plugins to be updated to be compatible with 64 bits, not waiting for X-Plane 10.20 to become final. That won't help the plugins...

EDIT:
Some of the plugins I use now DO work in 64 bits mode!!
:cool:

IGMap and GroundServices use the "Python-Interface"
That is now 64 bits, so these plugins that use Python work too!

You can get the 64 bits version of the Python-Interface here

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
IMHO, you can safely download the 10.20beta5.

The 32bits plugins will be incompatible anyway. Beta or not.

IMHO, if your favourite aircraft works fine in 64 bits, then go right ahead!
The auto-gen scenery (buildings where cities should be) has improved dramatically! :)

I fly the 10.20beta5 in 32bits mode, with all my favourite aircraft and plugins working flawlessly. Of course... in 32bits mode I have to avoid the heavy scenery still.... but I need my plugins ;)

So, I am waiting for the plugins to be updated to be compatible with 64 bits, not waiting for X-Plane 10.20 to become final. That won't help the plugins...

EDIT:
Some of the plugins I use now DO work in 64 bits mode!!
:cool:

IGMap and GroundServices use the "Python-Interface"
That is now 64 bits, so these plugins that use Python work too!

You can get the 64 bits version of the Python-Interface here

I'm going to do it later this week....Funny how all those memory issues you detailed earlier in this thread suddenly started appearing for me too..:) I'm tired of them interrupting my flights, and it frequently just closes X-Plane completely....64 Bits here I come...Can't be far away from GM now anyway...It's just the paragraphs of warnings about not doing it etc. It's not like I've never used BETA software before anyway!:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I have just updated my copy of X-Plane to the 64 bit BETA version, and it's staggering! Smooth as silk, maximum detail HDR rendering ALL working. The level of detail is hugely improved, and despite cranking everything up, not a single memory leak or error message.

For those who haven't yet taken the plunge, I highly recommend it. When this becomes GM X-Plane will truly be world class again.

If you are in any doubt about your 32 bit copy, don't be...After the download, you will have two launch icons...One which just says X-Plane, which is the original 32 bit copy, and another which actually says 64 bit, so you keep both. I can't see me going back to the 32 bit version though...this one is far, far superior...!

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Well done, Macman45! :)

Yes, 64 bits really is such a relief if you're having the memory issues.
Like Macman45 said, the 32 bits version sits in the same directory and makes all the old plugins and planes work perfectly.

Mind you, not all planes run well in 64 bits mode. Even the lovely default 747-400 isn't compatible. The briliiant payware EADT x737 also has issues.

OTOH the brilliant payware 787 works fine. Made a nice flight with all the scenery lovelies and huge amount of auto-gen scenery from YPAD to YSSY.

It's good to be able to crank up the grfx settings so high that the Radeon 5870 cokes! :p
As it should be: the hardware is the limitation. Not the software itself. :cool:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Well done, Macman45! :)

Yes, 64 bits really is such a relief if you're having the memory issues.
Like Macman45 said, the 32 bits version sits in the same directory and makes all the old plugins and planes work perfectly.

Mind you, not all planes run well in 64 bits mode. Even the lovely default 747-400 isn't compatible. The briliiant payware EADT x737 also has issues.

OTOH the brilliant payware 787 works fine. Made a nice flight with all the scenery lovelies and huge amount of auto-gen scenery from YPAD to YSSY.

It's good to be able to crank up the grfx settings so high that the Radeon 5870 cokes! :p
As it should be: the hardware is the limitation. Not the software itself. :cool:

Fortunately, I haven't bought any aircraft yet, although the DC3 is top of my wish list...The little Baron twin turbo works fine in 64 Bit mode, and the night flying is so much better, roads and landmarks, lightning etc...Took a flight from Bristol Fulton to Cardiff flying solely by landmarks at night...So easy to pick out the bridges and roads...Flew up the Bristol channel, and looped over the island. In the 32 bit version, runway lighting wa iffy, in this it's perfect, and I made a perfect landing....Even the ground lighting is detailed....As soon as it's GM I'll be buying more planes and add-ons...But for now I'm happy:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I notice that the BETA is a little off on the control side of things...I have a CH Eclipse yoke, which worked fine in the 32 bit version, but is acting a little weird in the 64 bit offering. It's fine in flight, but ground steering axis is slewing me over to the right all the time on take off. I've re-calibrated it, but the problem persists....I've reported it to Austin but haven't has a reply yet, usually takes a couple of days for them to get back to me.

Apart from that, it's running well, but I'm now hankering for more GPU grunt.....:D

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Been playing with Beta 7 too last night.

Couple of things:
- The B747-400 (Default) still isn't compatible.
- I flew the payware 787 from WSSS to VTBS. Everything great except the Approach didn't work in the Auto Pilot (could be a random thing)
- What a great sight to see the cities at night! Now I can set the builidng count far higher, it really looks super!

Have you read that the ATi 7970 works in the beta release of 10.8.3...?
This gives us greta hope of a not-too-distant future Mac (Pro?) with that card, or a GTX 680!!!

Can't wait!

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Been playing with Beta 7 too last night.

Couple of things:
- The B747-400 (Default) still isn't compatible.
- I flew the payware 787 from WSSS to VTBS. Everything great except the Approach didn't work in the Auto Pilot (could be a random thing)
- What a great sight to see the cities at night! Now I can set the builidng count far higher, it really looks super!

Have you read that the ATi 7970 works in the beta release of 10.8.3...?
This gives us greta hope of a not-too-distant future Mac (Pro?) with that card, or a GTX 680!!!

Can't wait!

I hope you are right about the Pro, but I think that Apple are going to phse it out...I hear things from time to time...Imac's with greater configuration options is one that i picked up a couple of days back.

The detail is amazing, and I have found the spot where my imac's hardware reaches it's limit without any memory issues or crashes....I can't tun in the highest settings, just the notch below, but my upgrade Imac which I might have before Christmas may fair better:

Imac 27"
3.4GHZ I7 CPU
32GB RAM (64GB Possible?)
3TB Fusion Drive
Nvidia 680MX 2GB VRAM
Apple MM
Apple Wired KB (UK)
Apple Care Protection

Will be flying later...still haven't got to grips with Vatsim, but I will soon....:)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I hope you are right about the Pro, but I think that Apple are going to phse it out...I hear things from time to time...Imac's with greater configuration options is one that i picked up a couple of days back.

The detail is amazing, and I have found the spot where my imac's hardware reaches it's limit without any memory issues or crashes....I can't tun in the highest settings, just the notch below, but my upgrade Imac which I might have before Christmas may fair better:

Imac 27"
3.4GHZ I7 CPU
32GB RAM (64GB Possible?)
3TB Fusion Drive
Nvidia 680MX 2GB VRAM
Apple MM
Apple Wired KB (UK)
Apple Care Protection

Will be flying later...still haven't got to grips with Vatsim, but I will soon....:)

Now, that iMac will be superb!!!
The 680 MX seems to be great. Probably almost twice the performance of the Radeon 5870. :cool:

Can't wait to find out how they will compare once Barefeats does all the tests, including X-Plane 10!!

Congrats on that wonderful Mac! You will have a very merry Christmas if it arrives on time!

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I'm playing on my 2010 MBP 2.93ghz core2duo with mountain lion and 4gb ram. I hope the new 64 bit app will make it run smoother for me.

I heard there's an option to offLoad the scenery onto another Mac so that your main computer will run faster? Is this true and if so, has anyone done this? I would love to do this since I have another MBP laying around.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I've always been interested in trying out X-Plane. I've spent a few hours with the demo-version and it's a lot of fun.

Would the full game run well on my base 21.5" iMac from 2011? 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics with 512 MB VRAM.

Would I need a steering wheel/controller? If so, how much am I looking at for a decent set?

Is there something else I would need?

Thanks in advance!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I've always been interested in trying out X-Plane. I've spent a few hours with the demo-version and it's a lot of fun.

Would the full game run well on my base 21.5" iMac from 2011? 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics with 512 MB VRAM.

Would I need a steering wheel/controller? If so, how much am I looking at for a decent set?

Is there something else I would need?

Thanks in advance!

It'll run okay, but you might want to consider upgrading the RAM....X-Plane is very resource hungry, and prefers a high VRAM count too, but since folks are running it on lower spec machines than yours I think you'd be okay. A controller is a must have if you want to get into the Sim properly...I have the CH Eclipse:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-Yoke...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355823474&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Forget about the "Free Software" it's for Windows, but the controller is perfect for X-Plane.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
A yoke is best.
I use a joystick as I don't want to "fix" a controller to my Mac and a joystick is "grab 'n play" ;)

The joystick is good enough to use in X-Plane, but make sure you get one with the possibility to turn the handle in such a way that it interacts with the rudder while flying and the wheels while taxiing.

X-Plane E A T S your hardware. Yes, even a maxxed out newest iMac will not be ably to handle X-Plane 10 to-the-max when heavy, detail, scenery is loaded.
Even a massive gaming-PC with a GeForce 680 and a huge amount of RAM will not be able to do it.

But... every bit of hardware counts. A better grfx card will give you more details and more RAM will give you better overal performance.

Back to the Mac: the grfx card of an iMac cannot be upgraded. The only thing you can do to help X-Plane performance is upgrade the RAM.
How much is necessary?
That depends on how you can configure X-Plane. If you have the best hardware then 8 GB RAM is not enough. The 64 bits version of X-Plane 10 (is in beta, but very close to being final) has no more software RAM limits, and decent hardware with pretty high settings will let the app use 4 - 5 GB of RAM. Next to about 2 GB of system memory usage and the odd other app open the amount will count to about 8 GB of RAM with decent hardware.

What is decent hardware?
In my experience a Radeon HD 5870 and >2.5 GHz Core Duo will let you set the settings such that 8 GB of RAM is pretty much needed.

Lesser hardare? >> Lower settings >> Less RAM needed.

Could be that MacRazySwe's iMac has such hardware that 4 GB might be enough. The KSEA demo area should be representative. Experiment with details and check your RAM consumption.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.