Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:56 PM   #51
Tech198
macrumors 601

neat...

No safety i can see, with all the noise.

At least CRT monitors are still good for something in this day and age.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:54 PM   #52
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
I know Asians tend to look younger, but at 0:36 in the video, it totally looked like at least one underage worker and the cameraman quickly moved the camera away.
Yeah, Asians do tend to look younger. Heck, even I get fooled sometimes.
I would have guessed mid-20s.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:05 PM   #53
Tech198
macrumors 601

... they also young age too.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:54 PM   #54
Stosh68
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
Shenzhen China... probably literally next door to where the real ones are made.
And it's likely the engineer's from the "official" plant walk next door with samples and drawings saying "make it just like this".
Stosh68 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #55
Justinf79
macrumors 6502

Damn, that machine at the end pressing parts wouldn't cut it in all the factories I've worked at. It only requires one hand to cycle, which makes it too easy to get your hand caught in the machine. In all the places I've worked at I've had to use both hands on 2 separate buttons to cycle the machine, making it impossible to get your hand stuck. Something tells me this is the norm in China.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:11 PM   #56
rboy505
macrumors member

Why take a chance on such 3rd party peripherals? Better to wait for when Apple releases official products in 2016.
rboy505 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:59 PM   #57
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Still think this ranks as one of Apple's most ham-fisted marketing moves. A month from Christmas and still barely a trickle of iPhone accessories. It's like they went on vacation and forgot to water their ecosystem.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:14 AM   #58
Xeperu
macrumors 6502

"Ah yes, let's put the worker bypassing the safety features on his device with a toothpick in our promotion video."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinf79 View Post
Damn, that machine at the end pressing parts wouldn't cut it in all the factories I've worked at. It only requires one hand to cycle, which makes it too easy to get your hand caught in the machine. In all the places I've worked at I've had to use both hands on 2 separate buttons to cycle the machine, making it impossible to get your hand stuck. Something tells me this is the norm in China.
The machine works as supposed, but he bypassed it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:45 AM   #59
b-dogg
macrumors member

I bought two 3rd party connectors from eBay to keep one at work and in the car for when my iPhone 5 arrived. One didn't work out of the box and this is what happened the working one two days later when I pulled it out of the USB charger by the cable:

You'll also see that the iOS device end of the cable isn't constructed to the same standards as Apple's. There are gaps in the side of the connector - Apple's are completely sealed and waterproof.

I know you get what you pay for, but the savings (which aren't huge) on buying these 3rd party cables sometimes can be a false economy.
b-dogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:46 AM   #60
RemE
macrumors member

I just received one of their new black desktop charge cradles, the one with the removeable insert to allow docking with a case on the phone. I use a black slim TPU case and it fits perfectly. The connector is very smooth like the stock connectors so I'm not concerened with it causing problems. I also used their cable to connect the dock to a USB charger and it works perfectly.

I was skeptical but this looks and feels very nice, the phone slips in cleanly and is guided well so there won't be any scratching or wear to the bottom of the phone.
RemE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:24 PM   #61
Melab
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
I notice some of the workers in the noisy factory were not wearing ear defenders?
Just goes to show that every company uses cheap labor without adequate working conditions.
Melab is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:23 PM   #62
iMrNiceGuy0023
macrumors 68000

I will be grabbing a few cables from them and not apple
iMrNiceGuy0023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:20 PM   #63
jtp098
macrumors Demi-God

cool look inside the factory though reminds me of the show on the discovery channel about how things are made..
jtp098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:35 PM   #64
HowieR32
macrumors member

I don't see a single piece of PPE (personal protective equipment) worn by any personnel in the video or in the photograph of the person holding the soldering iron.

They need PPE or other station safety equipment like adequate ventilation-suction to remove the poisonous vapours as well as eye-wear to protect from solder splash.

Is this what you all want? To buy stuff like this from pirates who care nothing for their labourers?
HowieR32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion