Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

View Poll Results: Do you like iTunes 11?
I Love It 281 68.37%
I Hate It! > 88 21.41%
I havent upgraded yet 41 9.98%
My computer doesn't support iTunes 11 1 0.24%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Shadow%20Mac
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Shadow%20Mac
iTunes 11, good or bad?

while the new features are nice, how has it been performing for you?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
pedromartins
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow%20Mac View Post
while the new features are nice, how has it been performing for you?
it's so fast! I cannot even see the "bounce" effect.

i7 2011 air, 40gb library.

and it's beautiful!

(it looks like it's still very slow on windows... but who cares..)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:52 PM   #3
chriscl
macrumors 6502

Very fast. Much faster then 10.7

Impressed.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:58 PM   #4
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

The Up Next is incredible, they made it really really good! When opening and album, the background of that window changes color to that of the cover art. Beautiful. Adding items to playlists is also great. The mini-player is finally useable and really good, all because of Up Next.

The downside is the lay-out of the Store, the horizontal scroll with sidebar on top of that.

I don't spend much time in the Store though, so for me it's minor.
RoelJuun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
whathesaid
macrumors member

I like.

The only gripe is I really liked the grid feature of the artists, rather than the being listed to the side. But I guess I'll get used to it.

But overall, it looks and works pretty slick.
whathesaid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

All these people saying it's so fast - have you tried it in full-screen mode?

That's how I usually use iTunes. I'm finding it awfully slow. Much worse than 10.7. Once I stick it in to windowed mode, performance improves a bit. But that's not how I like to use it.

I don't love or hate this new release. The 'up next' thing is long overdue, the UI in general is nice although it clearly needs more work. So there are some positives.

On the other hand, it's become much slower for me (RMBP). Also, the column track layout is very poorly thought out (e.g. it mixes disks in to the same columns). That's something I actually think Steve Jobs would have noticed; being a long-time music lover. Typically (going right back through CDs, cassettes and vinyl), "SIDE A" and "SIDE B" were shown in separate columns. (example here).

If Apple had gone that route, the new iTunes layout would look beautiful and slide right in to music history. Right now it's just a sloppy mess.

Last edited by Saladinos; Nov 29, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Saladinos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:05 PM   #7
ThunderRoad
macrumors member

Only thing I don't like about is that I prefer the classic view that the 'Songs' section has, but you can't display album artwork that way.
ThunderRoad is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Mikey86uk
macrumors 6502

Love it.

Now it has the look of an Apple product.

Which is a good thing.

Only small thing i dont like is, i cant use the mini player when i have iTunes in full screen mode.

So for that, i will stick with Bowtie.
Mikey86uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:06 PM   #9
stridemat

I really like it. Even fast with movies and TV shows stored on my NAS So far, one happy camper!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:10 PM   #10
sammich
macrumors 601

Love the 'play next' and 'add to play next'. It's what DJ (or whatever it was called) should've been.

I'm disappointed that multiple genre's didn't make it in.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, seems okay so far
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Hephaestus
macrumors 6502

I love it, much better than the previous versions.
Hephaestus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:55 PM   #13
pedromartins
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
All these people saying it's so fast - have you tried it in full-screen mode?

That's how I usually use iTunes. I'm finding it awfully slow. Much worse than 10.7. Once I stick it in to windowed mode, performance improves a bit. But that's not how I like to use it.

I don't love or hate this new release. The 'up next' thing is long overdue, the UI in general is nice although it clearly needs more work. So there are some positives.

On the other hand, it's become much slower for me (RMBP). Also, the column track layout is very poorly thought out (e.g. it mixes disks in to the same columns). That's something I actually think Steve Jobs would have noticed; being a long-time music lover. Typically (going right back through CDs, cassettes and vinyl), "SIDE A" and "SIDE B" were shown in separate columns. (example here).

If Apple had gone that route, the new iTunes layout would look beautiful and slide right in to music history. Right now it's just a sloppy mess.
I use it in fullscreen mode 90% of the time. it's lightning fast.

However, i have an SSD and I believe that anyone that buys/uses a new mac (post 2011) without some sort of SSD does not know what he is doing.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:11 PM   #14
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Love it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #15
goMac
macrumors 603

It's not perfect, but it's better than the last version!
goMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Small White Car
macrumors G3

I can't really pick any of these voting options. It's better and I'm glad I updated, but I don't "love it."

Mostly, I'm confused that, after so many changes, there still seems to be a lot of confusing, messy things they didn't touch at all. Like, was this a total re-design or not? Sort of 'yes'...but just half of it?

It's just weird to me. I appreciate the things they made better, but why does it feel like thy stopped halfway?
Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 PM   #17
OddThomas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey86uk View Post
Love it.

Now it has the look of an Apple product.

Which is a good thing.

Only small thing i dont like is, i cant use the mini player when i have iTunes in full screen mode.

So for that, i will stick with Bowtie.
If you click on the album art at top of iTunes you will get an album art windows just like Bowtie even in full screen... is cool.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:49 PM   #18
urkel
macrumors 68010

To be honest, Im not sure what the praise is for. So I'd love to hear what I'm missing out on because we were told it would be a major overhaul butin the end it doesnt really feel much different than the last versions.

So far here's my Pros and Cons:

+ I dont seem to be dropping my wireless synching on iOS devices anymore
+ Prettier? (I dont know, i just wanted to have more than one positive note)

- Display Duplicates is gone (or moved. I cant find it and help no longer mentions it)
- iTunes Match still has no new options (fix metadata. rematching items clearly in the iTunes catalog)
- App store still ridiculously slow
- Poor duplication control. iTunes Match seems to have created a lot of duplicates that werent there before and I dont know how to safely clean it out.

Despite what appears to be complaining, I neither love nor hate the software. I just wish it was a true overhaul rather than an optimization of the same old stuff.

Edit: ARGH! 3 out of 4 of our iOS devices no longer are visible under devices... again! Its the same issue with the last few versions of iTunes where I need to plug in for it to be recognized and available for wireless sync.
urkel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:04 PM   #19
sweigner
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to sweigner
I would say my only disappointment at the moment is under TV shows. If you have Multiple Seasons for Example The Walking Dead, it will only show the artwork for the first season and not the other seasons. Other than that, I like it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:09 PM   #20
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Is extremely sluggish on my core 2 duo iMac.

Other then that I like it, very elegant and sleek.
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:19 PM   #21
OddThomas
macrumors regular

what happened to Cover Flow?

is it gone?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:19 PM   #22
ReggaeFire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
- Display Duplicates is gone (or moved. I cant find it and help no longer mentions it)
- Poor duplication control. iTunes Match seems to have created a lot of duplicates that werent there before and I dont know how to safely clean it out.
WTF. You're right on both counts. I use Display Duplicates constantly (I add a few albums every week, and there will always be some overlap with stuff I already have).

And the iCloud duplicates thing is annoying as hell, if you've ever changed anything from the original file you downloaded, it shows up again, with the itunes store metadata.
ReggaeFire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:25 PM   #23
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

So far I really like it, the only that kinda bothers me is that the TV shows only show cover art for the 1st season. I would much rather it just have each season as its own entity.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:07 PM   #24
ReggaeFire
macrumors 6502

Poking around a bit more, I see more little annoyances. The ways albums are sorted in any view other than song list is alphabetical not chronological and there doesn't appear to be any way to change that. Correction, I found how to change the ordering, you have to go to View Options, which is different for each view. It's hidden well, but it's there.

As others have mentioned, you can no longer resize the covers in any view.

In general it seems like they took some views that have existed for years that most people were unaware of and simplified them a great deal, reducing their usefulness to the more hardcore users. I can understand this, but it doesn't please me.

Last edited by ReggaeFire; Nov 30, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:14 PM   #25
ReggaeFire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Only thing I don't like about is that I prefer the classic view that the 'Songs' section has, but you can't display album artwork that way.
I made a not great but workable alternative to this. Click on the art in the now playing window on top, reduce it to the size you want, drag it to the lower left corner. In preferences select "Keep Movie Window on top of other windows". There is an annoying drop shadow, but it's better than nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 8.13.16 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	380568  

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store