Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes, and again I appreciate your help...after you wrote it and I had in front of me it was very obvious what went wrong...even though this is my first mac...again, I appreciate it.

The only thing that is odd is after I got it going I noticed that there are a lot more page outs and not as much free memory now.

I have tried purge in terminal, reset the PRAM...nothing seems to help.

There were never any page outs neither before nor after I upgraded the ram, and before the drive name change incident...I upgraded the ram to 8GB weeks ago.

Even after boot up and just opening lets say, Chrome, and browsing for a bit, there are page outs...is this normal?

And it really doesn't make much sense to go with a SSD for back ups, huh?.

I'll shop around for an HDD, if anyone knows of any decent decent deals online that would be great...doesn't have to be a crazy amount of space.

Again, thank you for your help.

I am in Indonesia, it was in the middle of the night when you wrote this.

Morning now, I will think about your paging problem, are the Swapfiles still in
/private/var there should be at least one.

No, it should not happen that much, are you sure you still have the same amount of RAM, just check.
How much RAM do you have?

I know if you have plenty of RAM you should not have many page outs, and if you have a lot you could try to switch VM off all together, but that's a hack and not supported by Apple.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
I am in Indonesia, it was in the middle of the night when you wrote this.

Morning now, I will think about your paging problem, are the Swapfiles still in
/private/var there should be at least one.

No, it should not happen that much, are you sure you still have the same amount of RAM, just check.
How much RAM do you have?

I know if you have plenty of RAM you should not have many page outs, and if you have a lot you could try to switch VM off all together, but that's a hack and not supported by Apple.

Yes...it came with 4GB and I upgraded to 8GB a few weeks ago.

I will check on the swap file.

I did run "erase free space" on the backup drive today and rebooted it and seems to have gained my free memory back and have not had any page outs. I don't know if that had anything at all to do with the issue or not.

Again, thank you very much for your replies and help

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes...it came with 4GB and I upgraded to 8GB a few weeks ago.

I will check on the swap file.

I did run "erase free space" on the backup drive today and rebooted it and seems to have gained my free memory back and have not had any page outs. I don't know if that had anything at all to do with the issue or not.

Again, thank you very much for your replies and help

Ah, if it works well now then don't even think about it, it might be some background process like spotlight which made those pageouts.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Now, I just created symlinks of the folders "Documents-Music Movies and Pictures" on another disk.

Mac 1 is My boot disk, Second is another disk.

This guide only shows you how I created those links, not what your situation is like, the reason is that otherwise I have to copy all those folders to another disk and then make symlinks to the boot disk, I don't want to do this because I don't need them there.
I created symlinks from My boot disk to the other disk, you need to do it the other way around, copy the "Documents-Music Movies and Pictures" to backup and then create the symlinks on the boot disk inside your home folder(after you moved the originals in the boot volume to the trash).

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    407.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    429.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 68

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In the first picture there is a folder called Backup, this is your Backup drive, this is how it should be the way you like.
Also in the left window you see the symlinks, I moved the originals to my desktop for this, moved them back now.

In the second you can see that someone else can control your mac if you enable it by checking the box and adding a user and password on the right by adding a user.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    113 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.