Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newituneslogo.jpg
iTunes 11 has finally arrived, nearly a month after it was originally promised because of the need to "get it right" according to Apple. The app promises a redesigned store, simplified layout, and more.

Aside from the tentpole changes, there are a number of other things -- both promising and confusing -- that have changed in iTunes 11. Here's a selection:

- The default iTunes 11 view removes the sidebar that has been a staple of iTunes since it was first released. The Mac Observer tells us how to get it back. Head to the View menu and select Show Sidebar.

- iPods have come in a wide variety of capacities in their time, but one notable capacity has never graced the device. There has never been a 128GB iPod, though as Sonny Dickson points out, iTunes appears to be ready for such an eventuality. A 128GB iOS device has been consistently rumored over the years, but has yet to make an appearance.

- Users can now redeem store-purchased iTunes Gift Cards by using the camera built into most recent Macs (or Windows machines) to scan the redemption code. This should make redeeming cards quicker and reduce user frustration.

- It has a new icon, as seen above.

- The red/yellow/green buttons at the top left of the window again perform in the standard OS X manner. Previously, the green button would send the iTunes into its special MiniPlayer window. Now, a special icon in the top right corner, next to the full screen button, toggles minimization.

expandedview.png
- John Gruber at Daring Fireball notes the new 'Expanded View' mode:
I think my favorite new design element is what Apple is calling "Expanded View". In a graphical list of albums or movies or shows, you click one and it opens in a subview right there under the album/movie/show. Instead of going to a new view, you stay where you are. No way to get confused about where you are, more of a sense of direct manipulation. I think this is a brilliant design for everyone, particularly typical users. And there's a neat trick: the colors for the song listing are chosen algorithmically based on the album or poster art. (Examples: here and here.) Very clever, very fun. It's a digital approximation of going through real-world albums or DVD jewel boxes and opening them in place -- with the custom color palettes, the listings feel like the "inside" of the albums.
- Gruber also noticed that the 'Up Next' menu displays differently on retina and standard displays. "On regular displays, the Up Next icon is a bullet list. But on retina displays, it's a numbered list with minuscule numerals."

- iTunes DJ, formerly called Party Shuffle, is gone. It's been replaced by the clever 'Up Next'.

- Cover Flow, a major feature when it was introduced, is gone. It's been replaced by the 'Expanded View' mentioned above.

- There seems to be a bug with the AirPlay button. The button, which has been moved from the bottom right to the top left of the main window is missing for some users. Some have reported restoring the button by going to the MiniWindow and activating AirPlay there and it will then appear in the main window. Not all users are affected by the issue, however.

- Many users are reporting label issues within the iTunes and App Stores. As the stores are basically glorified web pages, these issues will likely be fixed server side while Apple gets the bugs shaken out.

Article Link: Roundup of Changes in iTunes 11: 'Expanded View', No Cover Flow, 'Up Next' and More

Bangolufsen

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
clicked agreed and forgot to read the print
what benefits were made by clicking agreed and can it be reversed?

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
So basically the update is purely fluff. Nothing of substance to speak of. Apple have been dropping the ball recently so this comes as no surprise.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
I have to say I was a little worried I wasn't going to like this update, but I am pleasantly surprised. It seems like a big improvement over previous versions of iTunes.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Bugs, bugs everywhere! Where on earth have you seen a music player crash simply just by clicking the album cover?

They had an additional month and THIS is what they're going to show? I am disappointed.

Last edited:

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Could this be the end of Cover Flow? (aka. the most amazingly-awesome-gorgeous way to view your media)

Picard-YES-meme.jpg

*grabs party popper*

Last edited:

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'm confused by the "Up Next:" thing... I turn it on and then it goes away as soon as I do anything else and I have to turn it back on again. It just sort of hangs in the middle of the screen and blocks my view of what is underneath.

This should be a side-bar so you can see it, but you aren't constantly opening and closing it.

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
I really like 11 so far. The interface is just much more modernized and looks nice.

Everything seems snappier too.

pablo7

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CA.
Will all the ghost tracks on my iphone finally go away? ?? Greyed out tracks that wont play or get deleted with this bloated piece of software.

honus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Lots of useful little things gone.

The expanded view is wonderful in theory. But you can't change the columns, so you can't see the iTunes Match status of the songs and you can't get the checkbox column so no way to uncheck that annoying video that you don't want added to Up Next when you add the album.

No sorting in the iTunes store, so the > 80% of the time when you know what album you want, you can't find it becuase things are sorted by the useless popularity with no way to change to sort by name or release date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.