Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
thekjs88
macrumors member

iCloud Backup Size Issue

Posted this in the iCloud thread, but this seems section seems to get more action! I have seen this posted a few times, but with no definitive answer:

My iPhone backup is 2.4 GB. When I click to see the apps that are backed up, the biggest thing is the camera--32.0MB, and the rest are all considerably smaller than that. I have no voice memos or reminders, and my camera roll only has one video and a few pictures. I have iCloud Mail turned off, as well as Safari and Passbook. I deleted all of my iMessages (a lot of them had videos/pics I had sent...though I do use iMessage for Mac and haven't deleted all of those). Nothing changes. Any ideas why the backup is so big?

Thanks!
thekjs88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
rtomyj
macrumors 6502a

What fixes it for me was sliding over the camera backup to no. Sync. Slide it to yes, and resync.
rtomyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:02 PM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

It does keep several backups ( more than a single day), so that might be part of the reason.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
thekjs88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtomyj View Post
What fixes it for me was sliding over the camera backup to no. Sync. Slide it to yes, and resync.
Just tried this and it didn't work. It seems like even if I turn off EVERYTHING and sync, the backup stays the same size. Can't find anything else on it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:02 PM   #5
rtomyj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekjs88 View Post
Just tried this and it didn't work. It seems like even if I turn off EVERYTHING and sync, the backup stays the same size. Can't find anything else on it.
Strange...
rtomyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
thekjs88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
It does keep several backups ( more than a single day), so that might be part of the reason.
Does Apple say this anywhere? I have heard this also but can't find it anywhere. My backup is now up to 2.7 GB and I'm not sure why. No new pics or vids. If it keeps iMessage backups even if I delete them, I guess that could make sense, but the biggest app backup is camera at only 34.6 MB.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:26 PM   #7
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Does Apple say this anywhere? I have heard this also but can't find it anywhere. My backup is now up to 2.7 GB and I'm not sure why. No new pics or vids. If it keeps iMessage backups even if I delete them, I guess that could make sense, but the biggest app backup is camera at only 34.6 MB.
My iPhone 4s - I cleared out the gigabytes in the camera (videos) and the iCloud backup stayed the same for weeks. I recently lost my iPhone 4s to a Target parking lot (no it was my fault for dropping it). I decided to setup my 5 from scratch so it's super small backup (190mb).

But my 4s's backup size was 2.5GB - almost like yours - no matter what I uninstalled or deleted.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Just stop the syncing and delete the backup from the icloud app in your pc. Then resync. That should clean it up. Worked for me.
Givmeabrek is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I only say this because when i restored from my cloud backup, i had more than 1 choice of backups to use.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone