Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Suggest we stay with Intel CPUs afterwards ... As all CPUs from the list are Mac CPUs and not iDevices.

CoreDuo, C2D, i3, i5, i7 ...or some Xeons ...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What about adding the Intel CPU designations, and dropping the required post count of some of the PowerPC designations? Then people with a G5 now would end up with an i7 designation and then carry it on backwards down the line from there?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd like to keep the PPC designation but I'm open to new ones.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
That would be nice to adopt a bit ... The 5000 jump in between is difficult ...

At by the way: I was wondering if that is correct ... Between 68010 and 68020 ... Only 5 ? Or is it because the 010 was not soo relevant ?

68000 => 1,505 posts
68010 => 2,000 posts
68020 => 2,005 posts
68030 => 2,500 posts

Please fix after I reached 68020 :D

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
That would be nice ... The 5000 jump in between is difficult ...

At by the way: I was wondering if that is correct ... Between 68010 and 68020 ... Only 5 ? Or is it because the 010 was not soo relevant ?

68000 => 1,505 posts
68010 => 2,000 posts
68020 => 2,005 posts
68030 => 2,500 posts

Please fix after I reached 68020 :D

From memory that particular processor was only used for a very short time...hence the 5 posts.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Technically they're not apple made but designed by Apple insofar that the chips are actually produced by Samsung.

I like the idea however that we use the A5/A5X/A6 for the reasons you mentioned

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Emotionally it moves us away from the desktop/laptops and we indirect agree that Apples future is on iDevices ... :eek:
Plus it seems strange that a powerful user with a G5 have now to jump to a A4 ... CPU Geekbench would be the guidance for the continuity ...

But anyway: for me still a very long way before it comes to a "real" problem; I'm still in Motorola 68k familiy. :rolleyes:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Maybe we should have things like A4, A5, A5X, A6, A6X after someone has passed the G5 status. Just a suggestion. Please take it into consideration.

Please don't take this into consideration. :(

----------

Suggest we stay with Intel CPUs afterwards ... As all CPUs from the list are Mac CPUs and not iDevices.

CoreDuo, C2D, i3, i5, i7 ...or some Xeons ...

Please take this into consideration instead.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Technically they're not apple made but designed by Apple insofar that the chips are actually produced by Samsung.

I like the idea however that we use the A5/A5X/A6 for the reasons you mentioned

Produced by Samsung as the batch manufacturer.

Honestly, this site isn't foxconnrumors. Batch manufacturers are there, but apple is the design

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

AquaDock answered it for me. This is Mac Rumours and I feel that the names should be referencing CPUs used in Macs, not in iOS devices. There are already too many annoying posts on this forum where people complain about the iSimplification or iPadification or iInsert_your_own_smart_made_up_word when they to prove the "iToys are ruining OS X" conspiracy theory. I think using iOS CPU device identifiers would upset that particular user group even more.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The problem with Intel titles is that things like i3 and i5 do not refer to the generation, they are product categories. Ivy Bridge is the third generation to use the same product categories, which makes things confusing because an Ivy Bridge i5 can be a lot faster than a Nehalem i7. The same goes with Xeons, it's just a branding for Intel's server/workstation CPUs.

To stick with the same titles as with PPC, we would have to use codenames like Nehalem and Sandy Bridge but I don't think that's a good idea. A5/A5X/A6/etc would be the easiest to implement.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
The problem with Intel titles is that things like i3 and i5 do not refer to the generation, they are product categories. Ivy Bridge is the third generation to use the same product categories, which makes things confusing because an Ivy Bridge i5 can be a lot faster than a Nehalem i7. The same goes with Xeons, it's just a branding for Intel's server/workstation CPUs.

To stick with the same titles as with PPC, we would have to use codenames like Nehalem and Sandy Bridge but I don't think that's a good idea. A5/A5X/A6/etc would be the easiest to implement.

I was of the differing opinion until I just read your explanation. Now I am thinking it would make more sense.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

But I think it would be cool to be called Macroumours Santa Rosa or Harpertown and so on. But whatever if the majority want boring names like A4 and A5 then so be it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why bother unless you have someone with enough posts to really surpass the current scheme.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Why bother unless you have someone with enough posts to really surpass the current scheme.

Boy howdy.

Also, I've always been a bit disappointed in the rewarding of post whores.

A scheme that takes into account post quality as well as quantity would be nice. Yes, difficult - but better.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Boy howdy.

Also, I've always been a bit disappointed in the rewarding of post whores.

A scheme that takes into account post quality as well as quantity would be nice. Yes, difficult - but better.

Post quality seems to be subjective but I appreciate the dig all the same. :rolleyes:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

There were multiple iterations of the g3, g4, and g5 too.

I would rather stick to cpu chips as that is what all the other rankings are. You do not see cpus associated with a newton or ipods as rankings

There will be a time when intel is not using the i3, i5, i7 moniker and will be on to something else

Keep it with cpu brandings imo

core solo/ core duo/ core 2 duo/ core i3/ core i5/ core i7 seems pretty easy to implement to me

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I think you should just keep it as it is. If i had that many posts, I'd rather be a G5 than a A4 or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.