Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:08 AM   #201
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Where is the evidence? The other threads? The gizmodo review? The Androids attack? The will it blend was confused and mistyped will it bend, surely was typed on an iPhone 5.
Have you asked Siri? The google equivalent?
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:31 AM   #202
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
I have a girl friend that normally walks with the iPhone on her back pocket. I asked her today to see the iPhone 5 and indeed it's bent.

This sucks...
Pic or it didnt happen. (of the phone in the back pocket)
lamerica80 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:33 AM   #203
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamerica80 View Post
Pic or it didnt happen. (of the phone in the back pocket)
I see what you did there.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:52 PM   #204
epicfailguy2
macrumors newbie

I did the pocket and sit in a couch test.
My 3GS does not bend.
My 4S does not bend.
My SGS 2 does not bend.
My Note 2 cracks but does not bend.
Dunno about the 5 since I believe apple has become as stale as a salad of rotten cocks.
epicfailguy2 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:08 PM   #205
carreragt7
macrumors member

I have never dropped my iPhone 5, or sat on it. I have, however, kept it in my front pocket of my jeans every day. I ride a motorcycle to work and school, and this is the closest thing I can find that could be putting stress on the iPhone frame. Today I noticed that my phone has a slight bend to it, mainly concentrated around the lower volume button. My iPhone 3G, 4, 4S never had this problem in the same usage. I'm going to see if Apple will replace it, and if so I will have to reconsider where I put my phone. Sure, the current phone could be bent the other way, but I don't feel like taking the chance that it won't break or cause strange stress marks. I paid full retail price for this and have treated it very well. Apple has always been great with taking care of me, so I'm not worried. I don't treat them as inferior and they return the favor. Niceness and honesty goes further in my experience.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:28 PM   #206
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by carreragt7 View Post
I have never dropped my iPhone 5, or sat on it. I have, however, kept it in my front pocket of my jeans every day. I ride a motorcycle to work and school, and this is the closest thing I can find that could be putting stress on the iPhone frame. Today I noticed that my phone has a slight bend to it, mainly concentrated around the lower volume button. My iPhone 3G, 4, 4S never had this problem in the same usage.
Just watch , now you're going to get 10 people attack you and say its your fault because "common sense says you shouldn't be doing that". Just check out some of the previous responses below.

Yes these phones bend easily under certain conditions. I now have to make an effort to remember not to sit down and put my shoes on when I have my phone in my pocket because I know the force from leaning forward is probably going to bend my phone. I also try not to have my phone in my pocket when walking up stairs because it puts a lot of force on it as we'll.

I think the trade off for the lighter weight might still be worth it, but I definitely like this phone a lot less than when I first got it, and it makes the added bulk of the 4/4S look not so bad after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon3543 View Post
If it feels uncomfortably tight when you sit down, and it did for me even in moderately loose jeans, then you are doing something stupid by carrying it that way.
Quote:
I think most people have enough sense to note the tightness and avoid stressing a thin piece of metal and glass, because it will occur to them, "This thing could bend, and that would not be good for it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure. It's that simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
aluminum bends. So, don't do things that will bend it. I'm just tired of people not owning up to their own decisions.

Last edited by syd430; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:56 PM   #207
dukebound85
macrumors P6

An phone's designed usage/intent is different than a computer in that it is designed to be placed in a pocket. So that analogy doesn't quite apply

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
You do realize that a MacBook Pro also bends when pressure is applied right? It's also in excess of $1000 dollars. Is it defective as well? It doesn't take much pressure to bend or flex a MacBook Pro either.

You also realize ANY phone will bend or flex when force is applied. Even a non-iPhone placed in your side pocket of tight jeans and you go and sit down. Materials flex and bend. iPhone is made out of aluminum, thin aluminum, it will bend and it will flex. It's just that simple.

I swear, people are never freaking happy. Ever. The only phone I have ever dropped was my 3GS. No issues.

The phone you want does not exist. Any material as thing as the casing is on the iPhone is going to bend/flex. It's a give/take. Do you want a light, thin phone or do you want a thick, heavy phone? Take your pick.

----------

Why do you need to see it done? Use your brain man. ALUMINUM, SOFT, THIN, LIGHT case - It will bend depending on the force. Seriously, did nobody else take science class?

You all think just because it's Apple and an iPhone it's indestructible? Jesus already. Enough.
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:16 AM   #208
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by carreragt7 View Post
I have never dropped my iPhone 5, or sat on it. I have, however, kept it in my front pocket of my jeans every day. I ride a motorcycle to work and school, and this is the closest thing I can find that could be putting stress on the iPhone frame. Today I noticed that my phone has a slight bend to it, mainly concentrated around the lower volume button. My iPhone 3G, 4, 4S never had this problem in the same usage. I'm going to see if Apple will replace it, and if so I will have to reconsider where I put my phone. Sure, the current phone could be bent the other way, but I don't feel like taking the chance that it won't break or cause strange stress marks. I paid full retail price for this and have treated it very well. Apple has always been great with taking care of me, so I'm not worried. I don't treat them as inferior and they return the favor. Niceness and honesty goes further in my experience.

I did the same thing for a while though. Not anymore because of the cold. But I still didn't have any problems. And I ride a sport bike.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:26 AM   #209
njean777
macrumors 6502

Mine has a slight bend to it, I just noticed it today while it was laying on my table. Really weird...
njean777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:48 AM   #210
hyteckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by njean777 View Post
Mine has a slight bend to it, I just noticed it today while it was laying on my table. Really weird...
Are you talking about your phone or something else?
hyteckit is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:58 AM   #211
jetlagged
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Are you talking about your phone or something else?
that's hot!
jetlagged is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:34 AM   #212
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I did the same thing for a while though. Not anymore because of the cold. But I still didn't have any problems. And I ride a sport bike.
I rode my Harley to work this morning. 30 F, so I had long johns under my jeans. A snug fit and I wouldn't feel confident with an iPhone 5 in my front jean pocket. My 4S was feeling the stress, but I know it can take it (that's why I bought it over the 5). There's plenty of reports at this point to make this a valid concern.

I'm hoping Apple bumps up the quality of aluminum for the 5S.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:51 AM   #213
syd430

I wonder where all the posters went that were claiming the phone will never bend under normal use a few pages back.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:37 AM   #214
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
I wonder where all the posters went that were claiming the phone will never bend under normal use a few pages back.
So many ways to answer that desperate cry for attention...

You spontaneously quoted a bunch of them at the end of your last message yesterday, so it would be redundant to post.

There's nothing new to say. Cranks will keep repeating the same thing tirelessly, while sane people will get tired of responding to it and move on. Soon, it'll be just you talking to yourself.
jon3543 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:58 AM   #215
syd430

Quote:
So many ways to answer that desperate cry for attention...

You spontaneously quoted a bunch of them at the end of your last message yesterday, so it would be redundant to post.

There's nothing new to say. Cranks will keep repeating the same thing tirelessly, while sane people will get tired of responding to it and move on. Soon, it'll be just you talking to yourself.
Beautiful post, and yes I'm desperate for your attention.

Actually, I came back to this thread because a couple of other people came along to post their stories.

But, yeah, no ones experiencing issues, no one else will experience this in the future, and soon I'll be the only one here talking to myself.

Edit: Woops, almost didn't realise that your the same guy that wrote these gems in regards to putting the phone in the front pocket of a pair of jeans:

Quote:
If it feels uncomfortably tight when you sit down, and it did for me even in moderately loose jeans, then you are doing something stupid by carrying it that way.
Quote:
I think most people have enough sense to note the tightness and avoid stressing a thin piece of metal and glass, because it will occur to them, "This thing could bend, and that would not be good for it."

Last edited by syd430; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 AM   #216
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

I like thin. I don't really care how much it weighs. the 4s weight was fine for me, so the weight savings is meh. I'd rather them bulk up certain parts of it (if possible) and keep it thin than worry about weight.
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:12 PM   #217
itjw
Banned

This just in: "millions of iPhone users notice bends in their phones!!!"

Wait. No. I count... 4. 4 people. Out of millions. 4...

Good sample size, now excuse me while I go back to enjoying my unbent phone. It's just like the other 99% out there: problem free.

Sorry you had an extremely rare issue. Contact Apple and replace it.

See? Problem solved. And next time, don't sit on it (or drop it, or whatever you actually did...).
itjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:42 PM   #218
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
This just in: "millions of iPhone users notice bends in their phones!!!"

Wait. No. I count... 4. 4 people. Out of millions. 4...

Good sample size, now excuse me while I go back to enjoying my unbent phone. It's just like the other 99% out there: problem free.

Sorry you had an extremely rare issue. Contact Apple and replace it.

See? Problem solved. And next time, don't sit on it (or drop it, or whatever you actually did...).
Not out of millions, but out of people who have managed to find their way to these forums and bothered to post about it.

True, this may be blown out of proportion, but still, I made the informed decision to avoid the 5 because of these issues that have come out of it being so light and thin (screens popping out is another one). If people do buy this somewhat delicate 'jewel', they should take care to not put the kinds of stresses on it they might have with previous iPhones.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:15 PM   #219
Nale72
macrumors regular

Hey, this "Bendgate" is just Apple showing they are once again in the forefront and being innovative and making sure they can sue Samsung for even more things in the future: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20526577
Nale72 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:51 PM   #220
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000

Even if the phone does bend, who is going to actually attempt to try and bend it???
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:16 PM   #221
SouthsideJohnny
macrumors regular

The problem is they used aluminium instead of a NiTi alloy. The iPhone 6 should be constructed with one of the 'memory metal' alloys so it just springs back to its original shape.
SouthsideJohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:30 PM   #222
PrometheusGeek
macrumors regular

Yes. If you freakin sit on it, it may well bend. If you put sharp metal to it, it may well scratch. Holy freaking crap.its no SCANDAL. It's common sense. Shove any freaking Android phone in your back pocket and sit your fat freakin a** on it and the plastic will likely crack. Put your keys or penknife to it and guess what?
Stop with all the drama. You expect too damn much. Shut up and enjoy your phone or else buy a phone you can enjoy without having to complain every 5 minutes...
PrometheusGeek is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:33 PM   #223
J Michael T
macrumors newbie

Cool Don't sit on your iPhone

I make it a point not to sit on my $850 iPhone. Call me crazy.
J Michael T is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:29 PM   #224
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

This is crazy. I have never seen so many people "bent out of shape" about the release of a new product. I can't believe the concerns about what can or might happen to their PHONE is unbelievable. It's a phone, and really quite inexpensive considering what it is, and it seems that Apple will replace it if anything goes wrong anyway. I came to this forum to read about and enjoy my new phone. The more I read, it seems as if I will soon be brainwashed to hate my iPhone 5.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:31 PM   #225
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

This reminds me of the guy who asks if it's OK to sleep with his iPhone, or the guy who asks if it's OK to walk in torrential rain with the phone in his pants. People who have no common sense no wonder wacky things happens to them. Can't figure out if that's the necessarily dose of daily laughs or a waste of planetary resources.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone