Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:04 PM   #101
mazakii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgar777 View Post
Soo after reading all of this thread...I'm going to try refreshing the store after midnight tonight (UK time). If there's nothing by about 00:30 then ill go to bed...I'll try again at 08:00 in the morning and again at 09:00 when I get to work!

I'm still torn between the 21.5 inch high end with the fusion drive upgrade (which I'm estimating about 1099 + 160 = 1259) or the low end 27 inch with the fusion drive upgrade (estimated 1249 + 160 = 1409). I've subbed to CS6 creative cloud and all I'm using it for is creating apps and website / design work - surely more screen space for 200 extra is worth it?

What do you guys think?

Please note that these prices are estimates based on an edu discount as I work at a university!

Good luck everyone!
You can go to bed earlier as there is nothing happened in either NZ or AU store. So I'm guessing it's Cupertino time 9am or mid-night.

BTW, really jealous at your edu discount. I would go for a maxed out 27 inch if I had that discount.
mazakii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:12 PM   #102
Midgar777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazakii View Post
You can go to bed earlier as there is nothing happened in either NZ or AU store. So I'm guessing it's Cupertino time 9am or mid-night.

BTW, really jealous at your edu discount. I would go for a maxed out 27 inch if I had that discount.
Well I've just tested my VPN and it works for online university systems but the education store thinks I'm not on campus :< Looks like I have to wait until 09:00 GMT tomorrow and see what is left.

I hear you on the edu discount though man, it's pretty awesome - wish I could go for the fully maxed out version but it's not realistic for me...I just moved house so I need to spend as little as possible on this :P!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:15 PM   #103
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Soo after reading all of this thread...I'm going to try refreshing the store after midnight tonight (UK time). If there's nothing by about 00:30 then ill go to bed...I'll try again at 08:00 in the morning and again at 09:00 when I get to work!
I'm in the UK and have the same plan.

Except I might just wait until 1:30AM.

Otherwise I'm gonna try and order one as soon as I wake up. (It will feel like Christmas getting up early and ordering!)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:15 PM   #104
APPLE-FANATIC
macrumors 6502a

Are iMacs normally released for pre-order at 12am PST or typical Apple style of 10am PST?? First iMac, not sure if they follow the same release pattern of the ipHone and iPad
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #105
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

so no one knows what time they go on sale online, great

iPad Air 2 | Silver | 64GB
iPhone 6 Plus | Silver | 64GB
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
Aluminum213 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #106
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Good shout buddy...is the 3 year warranty applicable to all UK education purchases? I've heard nothing about that if so!

I've got a VPN account too because I work in the web team so I need access to certain systems from home. I really hope it works from home...I guess I could try it now because cheaper prices show online at the moment anyway (I checked at work earlier today )

I'll post back to confirm !
The 3 year warranty applies if you buy from the online store (and I believe by phone if you confirm your ID, but not 100% on that) and go via the Education Routing and select your university from the dropdown list - ie, University of Nottingham for me. You have to be visiting from an ip address belonging to your campus, however, or it will simply block you. If you buy the iMac this way you'll get the biggest possible edu discount (my 27" monster is getting at least 200 off) and you'll qualify for the three years free "AppleCare" (it's basically everything AppleCare is, just without the phone support). It'll show up as valid on your purchase a week or so after it all goes through.

It's part of Apple's deal to provide computers to UK HE establishments - it has to provide this 3 year hardware warranty to students and staff of the universities that take part who buy products for themselves, over and above the various deals it has for the university itself buying stuff through the regular order channels.

It's a really sweet deal for those who qualify, essentially free Apple Care.

Edit: direct store link to Edu routing page:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...ur_institution

Edit 2: Apple's terms and conditions with the relevant section quoted;

Quote:
10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery.
joe-h2o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:40 PM   #107
marvz
macrumors 6502a

http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/29/apple-...l-stores-soon/

I think this will be the same store downtime, so iMac orders at 9 PM!!!
marvz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #108
Midgar777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvz View Post

Is that 9PM EST? or GMT / PDT / RES / PECT?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-h2o View Post
It's part of Apple's deal to provide computers to UK HE establishments - it has to provide this 3 year hardware warranty to students and staff of the universities that take part who buy products for themselves, over and above the various deals it has for the university itself buying stuff through the regular order channels.

It's a really sweet deal for those who qualify, essentially free Apple Care.
That's really good to know...I had no idea they were doing that - as if the money off isn't good enough! Awesome

Yeah I know man, I've tried that...Leeds Met for me - it works at uni but not from home using the VPN so I'm not sure. As long as they don't go on same before 9am tomorrow GMT then I'm happy as I can look when I get to work knowing that the VPN will work.

Thanks and good luck with your purchase!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:29 PM   #109
pubjoe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's really good to know...I had no idea they were doing that - as if the money off isn't good enough! Awesome
It is good but they're not doing it out of charity. It's a tax break initiative that Apple entered and in true Apple style they're as tight as they can be about it. They were forced to include a reasonable warranty to be allowed on the scheme; they hide information about it to such an extent that most staff don't even know about it; they continue to try and upsell you to phone support; and after the tax deduction, they actually charge a higher price for HE sales - presumably they do this to offset their cost of including the 3-year warranty, but then it is no longer free and what's more, customers who were upsold "full applecare" are overpaying.

They get to sell more macs to people who otherwise couldn't justify the cost, whilst keeping a higher price for the rest of the market and they don't have to lower their unit profit. As always, commercial lawyers capitalise on the loopholes left by the not-as-motivated-or-competent government lawyers that we waste our taxes on. In this case, Apple has stretched it so much that I doubt their terms would hold up in court if anyone was inclined to test them.

I love macs and much of Apple's software and I've been fortunate enough to be able to make use of the education discount too, but please don't feel that they're doing you a favour. They're far from it.

Last edited by pubjoe; Nov 29, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
pubjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:32 PM   #110
iLondoner
macrumors regular

Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
Quote:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/29/apple-...l-stores-soon/. I think this will be the same store downtime, so iMac orders at 9 PM!!!
"Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east."

Well, so that's 5am UK time then...

Time for a bit of shuteye. Will set alarm for 4am to see whether the online system is down for updating.
iLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:58 PM   #111
kfscoll
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLondoner View Post
Ha! you beat me to it, just about to post the same.

Were standard configurations available immediately? In other words, was this a month's delay over ordering the base machine?
Yes, standard configurations shipped immediately. The SSDs were constrained.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:12 PM   #112
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-h2o View Post
Make sure you buy via your campus network! The three year (free) warranty
is awesome.
I qualify for the education discount, but I've never seen anything about a free warranty. Can't find any information on it, either. Does it apply to purchases in the USA?
Razorhog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:57 PM   #113
bayleaves
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
I qualify for the education discount, but I've never seen anything about a free warranty. Can't find any information on it, either. Does it apply to purchases in the USA?
No - I work for a university in the U.S. and if we want AppleCare, we have to purchase it for both department and personal purchases. No free warranty in the U.S. as far as I am aware.
bayleaves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:01 PM   #114
nikster0029
macrumors member

So back to the topic of start times, what do you guys think it will in terms of time zones for east coast for the store to update? Or should we even wait till tomorrow to preorder because not a lot of people are forking out a lot of money at this time. its not like an iphone.

Waiting tomorrow might be ok?...
nikster0029 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:03 PM   #115
bayleaves
macrumors regular

Quote:

I am very skeptical about this, although I hope you are right. I REALLY hope you are right. Otherwise, I'll be staying up until midnight, and then I'll be tired and disappointed that they aren't available then, and I'll then wait until some unknown time tomorrow and get no work done because I am busy refreshing the Apple store. It would be so lovely just to have the start time.
bayleaves is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:12 PM   #116
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Going to bed now, will wake up at 12AM EST, if not up by then, will return to bed and get up again at 5AM. Hopefully will be able to snatch one before I'm off to work in the AM.
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:21 PM   #117
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
Going to bed now, will wake up at 12AM EST, if not up by then, will return to bed and get up again at 5AM. Hopefully will be able to snatch one before I'm off to work in the AM.
What model did you decide on?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:27 PM   #118
Ktulu
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ktulu
Confirmation from Australian friends

Can anyone confirm if this is true or not.
http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/11/...rst-new-imacs/

If it is, I would have to say that availability to order would be 12:00am local time...

If this article is true...

Last edited by Ktulu; Nov 29, 2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to include link...
Ktulu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:34 PM   #119
brooka
macrumors member

Ok so , from Australia.
I checked online this morning....not able to order. Still not able to order online and its 2:30 pm.
I called the apple store in sydney city and they have the 21.5" imacs and some of them do have fusion drives.
I'm after the 27" anyway and will custom build so Ill have to wait for the online orders to start...hopefully that will be soon!
brooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:43 PM   #120
Ktulu
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ktulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooka View Post
Ok so , from Australia.
I checked online this morning....not able to order. Still not able to order online and its 2:30 pm.
I called the apple store in sydney city and they have the 21.5" imacs and some of them do have fusion drives.
I'm after the 27" anyway and will custom build so Ill have to wait for the online orders to start...hopefully that will be soon!
It sounds like in-store availability is, well, when the store opens on the 30th, local time/date.

However on-line availability is going to be based on Cupertino time, but we still don't know what time Cupertino time...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:45 PM   #121
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What model did you decide on?
It's a tough and close one...but I'm leaning towards the 21.5" () What about you? Any last thoughts? (surely not rhetorical)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:48 PM   #122
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's a tough and close one...but I'm leaning towards the 21.5" () What about you? Any last thoughts? (surely not rhetorical)
I'm going with the 27"
i5
680mx
768gb ssd
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:51 PM   #123
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

The 21.5" will sit flush with my desk, and meshes nicely with the overall schematics of desk/room. The indecisive factor for me is the GPU in the 27" (680MX), but I don't know if that's a valid enough reason to sway me to the 27". I feel I will be able to game reasonably well with the 21.5" for several years to come. In the future if and when I get a better place, then it's def a 27", but for now, I think it will overwhelm me given the paucity of space and restrictive design of my current room, leaving it better suited for the likes of the 21.5". Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:52 PM   #124
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
As I expect this to last me at the very least 5+ years, hopefully more, I am getting the 27" i7 1TB Fusion and the 680MX graphics. My now 3 year old MacBook runs fine, and is only starting to show it's age on some tasks (games and learning Aperture 3. My old 800MHz G4 iMac still does email and online banking just fine, and it is a decade old. I expect the new one to be able to handle much more than that for the rest of this decade.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:53 PM   #125
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
768gb ssd
Whoa!!! Go big or go home huh?!? Glad you're resolute on a certain path.
MagicThief83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac