Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonbmdxman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, this is my first post. I purchased a 15" Macbook Pro Retina today. Note: I bought the base model 2.3/8gb/256ssd - build week 47. I was excited to experience the retina display on the demo model, but was disappointed to find out that my model has an LG display. To which, I will try to exchange it tomorrow in hopes of getting a model with a Samsung display.

I was curious about the SSD as well, so I looked up the info in the System Report. My SSD said "SD256E." I had not seen this on any mac forums before so I decided to open up the retina and see what the SSD said. Interestingly, the SSD chips said "SanDisk." I also noticed another smaller chip that said "Samsung." I'm guessing Apple has started using SanDisk SSD chips but is still using Samsung controllers??

If anyone has experienced something similar, feel free to comment. Also, what is Apple's policy on continuously exchanging Macbooks until you get one with a Samsung display?

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
What are the speeds on the Sandisk when measuring it on Black Magic Speed Test? I'm interested if the performance is faster or slower than Samsung's SSDs, and we can also take note that Apple is really trying to avoid Samsung technology now.

As for machine replacements, I highly doubt Apple would allow an exchange just because you don't like the screen manufacturer, but even if they do, you will be permitted only one or two replacements. However, if you are still unsatisfied and want a Samsung display than you can just return and purchase repeatedly up to five times I believe per Apple retail store, or at least that's based on my experience.

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
If it's Sandisk it's a Sandforce drive. It should have good performance. It will be marginally faster than Samsung for compressible data and may deal with high volume writes a little better.

The chips you see are probably the NAND chips, which are probably made by Samsung.

bonbmdxman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I tested the speed of the SSD this morning using Blackmagic. I was consistently getting 400 mb/s write and 450 mb/s read. Does anyone know how this compares to the Samsung or Toshiba SSDs?

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
I tested the speed of the SSD this morning using Blackmagic. I was consistently getting 400 mb/s write and 450 mb/s read. Does anyone know how this compares to the Samsung or Toshiba SSDs?

Sounds similar to the 830. The Toshiba would be using the same controller and likely the same Samsung Toggle NAND so it would be the same.

snifferdx

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
If it's Sandisk it's a Sandforce drive. It should have good performance. It will be marginally faster than Samsung for compressible data and may deal with high volume writes a little better.

The chips you see are probably the NAND chips, which are probably made by Samsung.

TickleMeElmo, Apple would never ever start using second source with SanDisk if it would be SandForce. SanDisk also has a Marvell based solution with house made FW. Also the NANDs are SanDisk and not Samsung... The only Samsung on the PCB is maybe a DDR :)

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Wait, you got a rMBP with an LG screen and want to take it back to see if you can get a Samsung screen.... why?

Whats the point? Is something wrong with the screen? This Samsung vs LG issue is completely a load of **** and blown way out of proportion, its pathetic.

And to answer your question on the Samsung SSD,

Apple Retina OEM (Samsung) SSD 256GB
SSD_Retina_OEM.png

FIRMWARE: Updated via Mac App Store Updates
INFO: 256GB OEM Retina SSD Removed and put into a 2.5" Enclosure, then installed in a 2012 13" MBP.

Last edited by a moderator:

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
I have a Sandisk SSD, and I'm seeing varying results in blackmagic for write speeds. At times, I was seeing sub 100 MB write speeds with the highest I've seen yet being 350....

My last rMBP had consistant write speeds over 400...

Artagra

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Looks like we have a new controller. Just opened up my Retina to get more info on the APPLE SSD SD256E - will post pictures shortly, but in the mean time it's got the following on the controller:

88SS9174-BLD2

So it's a Marvell controller, same as in the Intel 510 / C400 / M4. Best I've seen on BlackMagic is 420mb write and 450 read, although it is pretty variable.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=747&Itemid=60

Giuly

macrumors 68040
88SS9174-BLD2

So it's a Marvell controller, same as in the Intel 510 / C400 / M4.[/url]

And OCZ Vertex 4, for that matter.

It would be nice if they'd have used the 88SS9187-BLD2 which only the Plextor M5 Pro is using right now, but will also power the Crucial M500. A little bit faster, but as 'cutting edge' now yet proven in the field. And you probably can't get them in the vast amount necessary for the the rMBP production, yet.
http://www.marvell.com/storage/assets/Marvell_88SS9187-001.pdf said:
• On-chip RAID technology for NAND devices with flexible customer firmware based algorithms for retiring defective NAND blocks, plane, die, or device
• Provides the maximum sequential read performance for a SATA 6 Gb/s device
• ~500 MBps of sequential write performance, even at dirty drive conditions
• Includes best in-class random read and write IOPS

Artagra

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Photos Attached

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,066
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,581

Giuly

macrumors 68040
For the record, according to this sketchy korean website, it seems to be a custom build of the SanDisk X100.

The SanDisk X100 SSD is available in multiple innovative form factors: standard 2.5-inch for solid state drive applications, mSATA for thin and light applications such as Ultrabooks, and customizable designs for other markets. Thanks to SanDisk's advanced design and manufacturing capabilities, the X100 SSD can be customized to meet emerging market needs.
Interface: SATA 6Gb/s
Capacity (GB): 32, 64, 128, 256, 512
Sequential Read/Write: Up to 500 MB/s / 430 MB/s
4K random Read/Write: Up to 76,000 / 43,000 IOPS
MTBF Up to 2,000,000 hours
Endurance: 80 TBW
Size (Cased 2.5"): 69.85 mm x 100.5 mm x 7 mm and 9.5mm
Size (mSATA): 51 mm x 30 mm x 3.6 mm
Weight (Cased 2.5"): 66 g
Weight (mSATA): 7 g
DC Supply Cased 2.5": +5.0V, ±5%
mSATA: +3.3V ±5%
Standby Mode (Typical) : 75mW (@ 3.3V)
Active Power (Typical) : 120mW (@ 3.3V)
Operating Temperatures : 0°C to +70°C
Storage Temperatures: -55°C to +85°C
Acoustic Noise : 0dB
Other Features: NCQ (QD=32), Paged Based Architecture, nCache**, TRIM Support

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yeah go for it - if I knew they would be on AT I would've taken them with a better camera!

A shout out to my twitter ( http://www.twitter.com/pauljohnston ) would be great, but either way you can use them - big fan of the site. I can run some benchmarks for you if you are keen?

Benchmarks would be awesome. Do you happen to have a Windows partition? Iometer is really the king of disk benchmark tools but unfortunately it's Windows only.

EDIT: Also, if you don't mind, a better picture would also be greatly appreciated (can't really see the NAND in the current pics). I'll definitely give you a shout out at the site and Twitter :)

Last edited:

Artagra

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Cool I'll take some better pics tomorrow - my pentalobe screw driver is at the office.

I don't have a windows partition, but it's on my to-do list for the next couple of days to get some gaming in - will give you a shout once I've done so.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
My early 2013 that I just got today has the SanDisk SD512E. 2.7/16/512

My Blackmagic write/read is around 410s / consistent 470s

Sometimes the write is 390s and saw a 479 on the read.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.