Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
iTunes 11 looks good, but so far it has been very slow with editing and syncing. When I edit the tags on a single file or a group of files, I got the spinning wheel for 5-10 seconds before it is done. When I did a sync with my iPod Touch 4th generation, when songs were copied from the computer to the iPod they took about 3 seconds per track; in the past it was about one second per track. I haven't done the math but if you were to sync a large library, e.g. 10,000 tracks, it would take a loooooooooong time at that rate.

jamesandgill

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
agree on edit info

I get the same thing. Edit info for one track, processor usage jumps to 80% spinning beachball for 15 seconds. To edit metadata for one file!! Awful. Truly awful.

Robsa

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
Yep, me too - it took about 11 minutes for me to update some details on an album earlier (which had 16 tracks on it)!

Why is it so ridiculously slow? Has anyone figured out where the tick-box is to turn off 'take absolutely AGES to update track details' yet?!

gassjack

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Me too!!! I ripped 15 TV programmes off DVD and loaded them in and it has taken AGES to tag them correctly... to be honest this is utterly unusable... damn why did I update :mad::mad::mad:

Inopia-Vi

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Lost in space
I do have a large library. However, I find iTunes 11 to be a tad faster than the previous version. Can you describe your machine specs? Perhaps apple change the way it handles files...(this is a blind guess).

My library is on a Firewire 800 drive and my mac is a Early 2011 mbp quad i7.

gassjack

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Thanks for asking, any help would be much appreciated.

My library is just under 2tb and it's on an external hard drive connected via Firewire 800 to an iMac - not sure which generation but I bought it at the end of 2009 - I've maxed the RAM.

I wonder if the problem is coz the library is on an external drive and rather large...

I've gone back to 10.7. Sooooo much nicer.

Last edited:

Dinky2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Just "upgraded" to iTunes 11 and syncing is incredibly sloooooooooow. Updating apps on my iPhone4 takes forever (activity monitor showing iTunes as "not responding"), and copying photos is a nightmare. It is a memory hogger as well taking up 600MB real memory. Why not leave out all the "fancy" stuff and deliver a well performing simple program ?

ser968

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
Has anyone found a solution to this? I am getting a beachball after updating the metadata for my movies (the genre field). I get a beachball for 20-30 seconds for about half of the movies in my library (the other half updates the metadata instantly).

My itunes library is on an external FW800 drive - it has never given me a problem until recently.... I wonder if this is an itunes 11 issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.