Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple SVP of Technologies Bob Mansfield Cashes in Over $20 Million in Stock [PRSI]

Apple Senior Vice President of Technologies Bob Mansfield has decided to sell off a set of stock for over $20 million, according to a regulatory filing. Mansfield sold off 35,000 shares of his Apple stock at a price of $582.21 per share.

The move comes nine months after Mansfield sold 30,000 shares of stock for a gain of $12.5 million in early February, with Apple shares netting an average of $452.28 at the time. Since then, Mansfield has retired, taken an advisory role, and then recently un-retired to take charge of a new "Technologies" group in an executive reshuffling that saw iOS chief Scott Forstall ousted.

Mansfield's stock sale does not mean that he is looking to exit his ownership in Apple, as he has regularly cashed in on stock options and is an active participant in Apple's stock option and grant award programs for senior executives. Mansfield still has 29,548 shares of Apple stock and stands to gain an additional 150,000 shares in two equal portions June 2013 and March 2016. He also holds a restricted stock grant that could earn him another 100,000 shares in 2014. All of those shares, which would net him $145.5 million at current stock prices, would only be awarded to him if he remained with Apple.

Mansfield and other executives may also be looking to unload stock as 2012 draws to a close due to a scheduled increase in capital gains taxes for 2013. By selling stock now rather than holding it into 2013, sellers can reduce their tax burden, although fluctuations in the company's stock price over time could more than compensate for the higher tax rate should Apple's stock continue to rise.

Article Link: Apple SVP of Technologies Bob Mansfield Cashes in Over $20 Million in Stock
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:35 PM   #2
BlazednSleepy
macrumors 6502a

Apple SVP of Technologies Bob Mansfield Cashes in Over $20 Million in Stock [PRSI]

meanwhile in africa..
BlazednSleepy is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:36 PM   #3
miketcool
macrumors 6502a

Cash them in before tax increases beginning next year in California and the US.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:08 PM   #4
1080p
In Time-Out

Good thing Obama was reelected! [/SARCASM]

All we need is to keep punishing those who took up America's legendary offer of "Freedom, and "Land of Opportunity."

"Come work are, excel at what you do, rise to the top and prosper!"

Now it's "How dare you make more money than everyone else! You need to contribute MORE!"

Makes me sick!
1080p is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 PM   #5
bmunge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post

All we need is to keep punishing those who took up America's legendary offer of "Freedom, and "Land of Opportunity."

Now it's "How dare you make more money than everyone else! You need to contribute MORE!"

Makes me sick!
It makes me more sick that people reduce the economic situation we are in down to a Fox News talking point.
bmunge is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:38 PM   #6
MacDav
Banned

Annual Xmas shopping.

----------

Quote:

Makes me sick!
Get used to it... At least for 4 more years.
MacDav is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketcool View Post
Yep, the smart people are getting out now.
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:53 PM   #8
applesith
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazednSleepy View Post
meanwhile in africa..
Yes because there are poor areas in the world no one should be rich anywhere else...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Yep, the smart people are getting out now.
Lots of wealth will be leaving the US soon before it's confiscated.
applesith is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:58 PM   #9
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
California sucks. If you make $44,000 per year you're taxed at the same rate as someone making $900,000 per year. Same bracket. 9.3%
MacDav is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Ahheck01
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmunge View Post
It makes me more sick that people reduce the economic situation we are in down to a Fox News talking point.
It makes me more sick that people see a logical conservative viewpoint, and rather than offering an intelligent argument as to why they disagree, they say "Fox News would say that, so it's clearly not valid!"
iPhone 5 ; 16GB ; White
Ahheck01 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:18 AM   #11
palmerc2
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Makes me sick!
I agree 100%
I just can't believe the bitterness and victimhood of some people. Because someone is doing well, they have to punish them.

But, I digress, that's a WHOLE different topic.

I feel great for Bob, I hope I can get there one day myself with hard work and dedication!
palmerc2 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:19 AM   #12
akrantz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahheck01 View Post
It makes me more sick that people see a logical conservative viewpoint, and rather than offering an intelligent argument as to why they disagree, they say "Fox News would say that, so it's clearly not valid!"
I would hardly call the post he was replying to a "logical conservative viewpoint". Leading with sarcasm (by his own admission) is rarely ever a great way to be taken seriously. Your failure to recognize that just comes across as being angry and defeated, not rational. That being said, I have trouble understanding who would expect to be taken seriously when they are using technology forums as a place to espouse their political beliefs? Surely there are more appropriate places to find an educated debate if that's what you are after. No?
akrantz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:22 AM   #13
turtlez
Banned

@ political argument. You guys will never win over each other because it is a state of mind. Some people would jump off a cliff for money and some would live life. Just let the people die for money (too bad they kill off the environment as well ) and let the earth repair lol
turtlez is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:26 AM   #14
applesith
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrantz View Post
I would hardly call the post he was replying to a "logical conservative viewpoint". Leading with sarcasm (by his own admission) is rarely ever a great way to be taken seriously. Your failure to recognize that just comes across as being angry and defeated, not rational. That being said, I have trouble understanding who would expect to be taken seriously when they are using technology forums as a place to espouse their political beliefs? Surely there are more appropriate places to find an educated debate if that's what you are after. No?
Take a look in the political section of MR boards for de-railed liberals who live there 24/7.
applesith is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:55 AM   #15
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Don't even get me started on Conservatives...

No one on this forum is in the top 2%. You're all living off a patently false promise of "wealth" and "riches" so long as you work hard. Garbage.

And that's how they keep you hooked.

"One day YOU will be this rich and you don't want Uncle Sam taxing you do ya?"

^ No... in fact... you won't be that rich.

And if you are... you pay back into the system that got you there.

Period.
JayJayAbels is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:53 AM   #16
Ironduke
macrumors 65816

Tax the Rich Tax em Good n Hard for freedom
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:58 AM   #17
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:

All we need is to keep punishing those who took up America's legendary offer of "Freedom, and "Land of Opportunity."...
Apple makes money in the US because..
1) We have good public education
2) We enforce the law and have a court system
3) We spend $1T a year to gard "our" oil supplies
4) We have transportation infra structure
andso on and so on.

It the above were not true then Apple would pick up and move to (say) Mexico in a minute. They stay here because they need the government services they can't get in other places. One could argue that the rich use FAR MORE government service than the poor.

What poor guy needs to find and hire 20,000 engineers. No one finds 20,000 engineers unless they liv in a place with good education. What poor guy eeds a Coast Gard to keep pirate away from his cargo ships?
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:05 AM   #18
RichardI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayAbels View Post
So you must be a liberal then? If that's the case you shouldn't care about this topic or any other, right? Tax and spend, tax and spend.....etc. After all "the universe will unfold as it should." Right?
Lighten up and have another of whatever it is you're having.

Mwahahaha
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:30 AM   #19
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahheck01 View Post

There is no sound logic behind conservative viewpoints.
iMikeT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:33 AM   #20
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No one on this forum is in the top 2%.
Actually, someone making $40,000 is in the top 1.1% of the world's population.

http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/why-give/how-rich-am-i

PS How long before this gets added to the "Politics" forum?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:48 AM   #21
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Makes me sick!
Asking people to contribute more is not the same as vilifying them. I'm sorry, it's just not.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:56 AM   #22
derek4484
macrumors 6502

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
California sucks. If you make $44,000 per year you're taxed at the same rate as someone making $900,000 per year. Same bracket. 9.3%
I can't speak to all states, but it's the same here in S.C. Our top bracket is 7% and it starts at $12,000 per year income. So, anybody basically not in poverty pays the same income tax rate.
derek4484 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:34 AM   #23
MacSince'85
macrumors member

Too late for that!

Quote:
In case no one noticed, the CA tax increase that was just voted into law is retroactive to the beginning of 2012
MacSince'85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 AM   #24
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
There is no sound logic behind conservative viewpoints.
Except American history, basic economics, and basic human nature -- all the things that our well-intentioned Liberal friends either have forgotten or never knew in the first place.

Mansfield is doing what many wealthy people have been doing since the election -- moving assets around now to avoid higher tax liabilities next year. The odds are that taxes will be going up next year, at least for Mansfield, unless Congress and the President kick the can down the road for another year or two. From an asset management point of view, selling portions of his stock now makes perfect sense, rather than have it subject to higher taxes next year.

What baffles me is why Apple (or anyone else for that matter) remains in California. According to the WSJ, it's the worst run state in the country.

Thinkstock> Debt per capita: $4,008 (18th highest)
> Budget deficit: 20.7% (17th largest)
> Unemployment: 11.7% (2nd highest)
> Median household income: $57,287 (10th highest)
> Pct. below poverty line: 16.6% (18th highest)

California is 24/7 Wall St.’s “Worst Run State” for the second year in a row. Due to high levels of debt, the state’s S&P credit rating is the worst of all states, while its Moody’s credit rating is the second-worst. Much of California’s fiscal woes involve the economic downturn. Home prices plunged by 33.6% between 2006 and 2011, worse than all states except for three. The state’s foreclosure rate and unemployment rate were the third- and second-highest in the country, respectively. But efforts to get finances on track are moving forward. State voters passed a ballot initiative to raise sales taxes as well as income taxes for people who make at least $250,000 a year. While median income is the 10th-highest in the country, the state also has one of the highest tax burdens on income. According to the Tax Foundation, the state also has the third-worst business tax climate in the country.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-be...150415625.html

The California Dream is dead. The liberals killed it.

Last edited by tgara; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
tgara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:32 AM   #25
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

No one on this forum is in the top 2%. You're all living off a patently false promise of "wealth" and "riches" so long as you work hard. Garbage.

And that's how they keep you hooked.

"One day YOU will be this rich and you don't want Uncle Sam taxing you do ya?"

^ No... in fact... you won't be that rich.

And if you are... you pay back into the system that got you there.

Period.
Oh really? No one is in the top 2%? If you make more than 200K per year (which is a comfortable - not luxury living in manhattan) you are in the top 2%. Which is bull.

EVERYONE should pay the same tax rate - you shouldn't pay more if you worked hard and became successful. And I say this as a very liberal, not 2%, new yorker.

You raise rates on the successful, and they pull a Mitt Romney - and take all their money overseas. It's not beneficial to raise rates on them, because they'll just stop spending their money here.

Also increasing PAYROLL taxes obama? WTF??? You're making it MORE expensive to hire people? Are you RETARDED?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Apple makes money in the US because..
1) We have good public education
2) We enforce the law and have a court system
3) We spend $1T a year to gard "our" oil supplies
4) We have transportation infra structure
andso on and so on.

It the above were not true then Apple would pick up and move to (say) Mexico in a minute. They stay here because they need the government services they can't get in other places. One could argue that the rich use FAR MORE government service than the poor.

What poor guy needs to find and hire 20,000 engineers. No one finds 20,000 engineers unless they liv in a place with good education. What poor guy eeds a Coast Gard to keep pirate away from his cargo ships?
That's about the worst argument I've ever heard. Barely valid.

What rich guy has all of his living expenses paid by the government because he dropped out of high school to do drugs?

What rich guy is on Food Stamps because he can, even though his family makes 100K per year.
spyguy10709 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues