Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
iPhones are horrible to type on compared to Android

I have just discovered the swipe keyboard option on my Galaxy Note 2. This is so much better than pecking at the keyboard with my thumbs, especially when typing with one hand. On my iPhone, I could never do any meaningful typing with one hand because it was so slow and cumbersome to keep lifting my thumb. Yet another thing that Apple does that makes no sense and is cumbersome. Android just does it better than Apple for usability and common sense.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 AM   #2
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
I started using Swype after getting my Note and I love it as well. Sometimes I get lazy and swipe close to the spelling of the word and its still pretty accurate.

I don't know what's going on with the iPhone 5 but I couldn't type at all on that phone, it was horrible. I tried typing on my iPhone 3G again and it was far more accurate than the 5.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
So slow and cumbersome to lift your thumb? Dramatic much??

Android does have a better keyboard, but not because of swiping, which feels totally unnatural to me. Never could get on with it.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:15 AM   #4
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
So slow and cumbersome to lift your thumb? Dramatic much??

Android does have a better keyboard, but not because of swiping, which feels totally unnatural to me. Never could get on with it.
It is dramatically slower and more cumbersome to lift your thumb for each character when typing with one hand. Swype is much faster and more elegant.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:18 AM   #5
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
It is dramatically slower and more cumbersome to lift your thumb for each character when typing with one hand. Swype is much faster and more elegant.
No it isn't. Typing in the usual manner is not complicated nor does it make you tired. Cumbersome is therefore the wrong word. It may be slower, I don't know. Typing using the swiping method is dramatically slower for me because I'm not used to it and don't see why I should learn a new typing method, when all of the other devices (keyboards, laptops etc. ) will stick to the old one!
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:28 AM   #6
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I've never had a good experience using the iPhone keyboard. It's been a while since I used an Android one, but the Windows Phone keyboard is kick-butt too.
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:43 AM   #7
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
No it isn't. Typing in the usual manner is not complicated nor does it make you tired. Cumbersome is therefore the wrong word. It may be slower, I don't know. Typing using the swiping method is dramatically slower for me because I'm not used to it and don't see why I should learn a new typing method, when all of the other devices (keyboards, laptops etc. ) will stick to the old one!
It is cumbersome to type with one hand on a standard touchscreen keyboard without Swype support. Lifting your thumb for each character on a touchscreen keyboard when typing one handed is much more cumbersome because it causes much more unnecessary vertical movement. Swype is also much faster because you do not have to slow down to type the next character of the word. And there is nothing natural about touch typing on any keyboard. You took years to learn how to type on a qwerty keyboard. It took me all of two minutes to learn to Swype type.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:41 AM   #8
jojoba
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
This is the main reason why I haven't switched to iPhone (the other being screen size). I generally love Apple products and it would be great to have everything integrated into the same eco system (I haven an Air and an iPad), but I send a lot of emails and messages on the go, and with SwiftKey on android there is just no comparison in terms of the typing speed I can get with that compared to the iPhone. I really wish Apple would allow some third party keyboard apps, or improve predictive text on their own.
__________________
Macademise your research.
My photography blog. Flickr.
jojoba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:44 AM   #9
gpsouza
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lisbon
Don't know what you're talking lol i have a nexus and i prefer my i4S much more.
__________________
MBP 8gb ram 120 SSD iPad 3 32gb Wifi iPhone 5 16gb iPod Nano 6/7 gen
gpsouza is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:53 AM   #10
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
I don't have trouble typing on the iP4S, but honestly it's quicker to use voice dictation via Siri.
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:51 AM   #11
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
My only issue with the iOS keyboard is the over excited auto correct.

I do use the swipe keyboard on my Nexus 4 but have no issues with tapping on a soft keyboard on my iPhone.

The biggest things I like about the stock android keyboard is the suggestions displayed above the keyboard and the way the keyboard dynamically capitalises each letter when the shift button is used. Sometimes I do confuse myself on iOS if I have hit the shift key or not as I'm used to the visual feedback on android.
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | HP Chromebook 11 | Moto G GPE | LG G Watch | iPhone 4s | iPad Mini Retina | Asus MemoPad ME176C
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:56 AM   #12
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I've been using an iPhone since 2007 and I have to agree with the argument that typing on iOS is more cumbersome than it is on Android, and I've had a mere week of testing android on the nexus 4. Now I'm going back I my old iPhone, but really, Androi clearly wins when it comes to writing. First, there's the swipe feature which isn't faster than typing two handed on an iPhone, but is much more convenient to use one handed. Second, the android keyboard's suggestions are far more accurate in my native tongue, German. When typing in English, however, the iPhone's auto-correction works as good as Android's. (At least in my experience). Also, the Android feature that let's you add unknown words to your dictionary is more convenient than on the iPhone. I know, it's supposed to learn and adapt to the user but that doesn't always seem to work (at least not for me and particularly not in German).

Still, typing is not everything you do on a smartphone and for me, the iphone's simplicity is still superior to Android.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:10 AM   #13
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
The biggest things I like about the stock android keyboard is the suggestions displayed above the keyboard and the way the keyboard dynamically capitalises each letter when the shift button is used. Sometimes I do confuse myself on iOS if I have hit the shift key or not as I'm used to the visual feedback on android.
This has always puzzled me about iOS.

In a UI that otherwise emphasizes the ability to change onscreen buttons to suit the situation, the fact that the iOS keyboard characters don't change case with the shift key, is jarring and slows me down at times.

Wonder if there's some patent involved.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I always type with two hands. My preference has always been for physical, landscape slider keyboards. Now that I have an SGS3, I have to use the on-screen keyboard. I always use landscape mode when possible so the keys are bigger for me. I never liked any type of text prediction. I stopped using it about a year ago as it was annoying when it changes things that I don't want changed. With no text prediction, Swype won't work.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:38 PM   #15
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
This thread makes me lose faith in the human race.

The fact that people think that having to lift your finger off the screen to type is "cumbersome" is soul destroying. I'm imagining a world where lots of lazy people walk around dragging their feet because having to lift your legs off the ground is also considered cumbersome, or where people just slam their heads into plates of food and eat using their mouths directly because using a knife/fork/spoon is too cumbersome.

Why
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:39 PM   #16
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
I wouldn't say horrible when compared. Makes it sound as if you are losing years off your life when typing in iOS. Android is better but I personally cannot get used to Swype. I will say I believe Windows 8 on screen typing trumps both iOS and Android. Numpad style number input it just so good.
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Swiftkey, my friends. Swiftkey.

The auto correction is... unbelievably good. Literally... I can't believe it knows what I meant to type.

Then in the few occasions it predicts the rest of my sentences for me... now that's truly magic, Mr. Jobs.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:51 PM   #18
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
On the GS3 stock keyboard, Swype works very well but doing regular typing is too inaccurate for me. Swift keyboard is so accurate when typing and has the best next word predictions without even typing the first letter. I really wish it had swype to go along with it.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:54 PM   #19
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Swiftkey, my friends. Swiftkey.

The auto correction is... unbelievably good. Literally... I can't believe it knows what I meant to type.

Then in the few occasions it predicts the rest of my sentences for me... now that's truly magic, Mr. Jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
On the GS3 stock keyboard, Swype works very well but doing regular typing is too inaccurate for me. Swift keyboard is so accurate when typing and has the best next word predictions without even typing the first letter. I really wish it had swype to go along with it.
Agreed. SwiftKey is amazing - best keyboard I've ever used by far.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:14 PM   #20
beyondthepale35
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Yeah, iPhone definitely has the worst of the keyboards. Just using my moms 4 to set things up on her phone I felt so cramped trying to type. Definitely a close race between WP and Android, they both are extremely good, especially with next word predictions.
beyondthepale35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:24 PM   #21
cuzo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
On a four inch screen the iPhone keyboard is very good, swiftkey doesn't have the spacing to compete on smaller android phones bigger phones well yes swiftkey is pretty good but use a droid incredible and tell me how good swiftkey is.
cuzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:26 PM   #22
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzo View Post
On a four inch screen the iPhone keyboard is very good, swiftkey doesn't have the spacing to compete on smaller android phones bigger phones well yes swiftkey is pretty good but use a droid incredible and tell me how good swiftkey is.
Droid Incredible came out over two years ago. Time to update.

But yes, if you take old hardware, and try to pair it with the latest software, it tends to not go hand in hand.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:28 PM   #23
cuzo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Droid Incredible came out over two years ago. Time to update.

But yes, if you take old hardware, and try to pair it with the latest software, it tends to not go hand in hand.
They came out with one this year, type on it and get back to me and tell me how awesome it is with no spacing between the keys and a 4 inch screen, this swiftkey love is mostly due to bigger screens swiftkey lacks proper spacing I know I hatred my droid phones with swiftkey installed and I type better on this small ass iphone 5.
cuzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:29 PM   #24
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzo View Post
On a four inch screen the iPhone keyboard is very good, swiftkey doesn't have the spacing to compete on smaller android phones bigger phones well yes swiftkey is pretty good but use a droid incredible and tell me how good swiftkey is.
Swiftkey does have 3 options of keyboard size. Small sized is too small for me but it might work well on a smaller screen.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:29 PM   #25
Dweez
macrumors 65816
 
Dweez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Down by the river
I disagree. I find the my iPhone 4s so much easier to type on than my Droid Razr.
__________________
sudo make me a sandwich
Dweez is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tablets: How are android tablets compared to ipad playing movies Silver78 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 20 Oct 31, 2013 04:00 PM
Pres. Obama compared ACA to iOS7 ... Take that Android! Mkuzmenko Wasteland 8 Oct 1, 2013 01:10 PM
Windows 8 Is Horrible, Also Done With Android Velin Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 4 Sep 28, 2013 05:57 AM
Sony Android phones as compared to the rest? Beeplance Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 14 Dec 23, 2012 07:13 AM
You know the thing I live about iphone compared to android.. shenfrey iPhone 24 Dec 18, 2012 09:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC