Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Anyone manage to pick up a 1TB Fusion drive spec'd iMac 21.5" or is it just the base model (non fusions) being stocked in-store?

*Apologies if this has been asked before, couldn't find it on the forums.

pwk5512

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Would really like to know this myself. In store pick up is not an option for fusion drive when ordering online, and the shipping times are longer than for simpler iMac, so I'm thinking it's just BTO unfortunately...

XionCore

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Fusion drives are BTO, so they won´t be available in Apple Stores. You might be lucky and pick one up at a premium retailer, but I highly doubt it...

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Just back from the store and writing this post on my new iMac :)

The guys said that they only have the standart 21 and 27 in store, everything else needs to be ordered.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Yeah from everyone I've asked so far, Apple retail store employees, the online Apple store chat, a former coworker who is an Apple retail store manager, people on this forum, etc., it seems like Fusion Drive models will not be making an appearance in the stores. Which is a bummer. The wait continues, but this time the order has been at least placed!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
That seems a bit dumb...given the Fusion drive is one of the big new features. You would think they would have at least one model with a Fusion drive for sale...

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Sometimes high-volume Apple Stores will stock a very high-end unit with some of the BTO options on it. When I've seen it, it's always been the top-of-the-line model configured with some common upgrades (processor, HD, video card).

It's treated as BTO by the store, so the same return policies that Apple has in place for the BTO Macs applied to these premium models.

It's been a little while since I looked for these, though, so they may not do it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.