Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
My only complaint is the screen should have been a little bit wider, maybe a mm or 2. Those of us with "smaller" hands, I feel that it is annoying to using with one or two hands just because one hand is not enough reaching capabilities and two hands is too compact...so I'm kind of in the "gray" area :/

Couldn't have said it better myself.

A slightly wider keyboard would make typing a much nicer experience. a little width to the screen could have accomplished that.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
My only complaint is the screen should have been a little bit wider, maybe a mm or 2. Those of us with "smaller" hands, I feel that it is annoying to using with one or two hands just because one hand is not enough reaching capabilities and two hands is too compact...so I'm kind of in the "gray" area :/

Well Apple would just tell you to grow larger hands, geez why can't you just grow to fit your phone since its perfect.

Ha sorry I had to but kidding, this is understandable, I think apple is trying to make the phone suit everybody as well as they can as they only make one phone so it's hard to please everybody with one product, it wouldn't surprise me if apple branched out more with sizes in the future

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Mobile site on iphone 5 works great, but i agree with you about browsing full site with iphone 5 is still a sore. Everything is small, i have to do a lot of zooming in and out.

If you go android way with 4.7" or even galaxy note 5.5" screen, it feels bulky but the screen is still small.

The right thing to do is stick with iphone 5 and get the ipad or ipad mini if you prefer portability.

I have sold my iphone 5, bought the LTE mini, and a dumbphone.

I never afraid about a dying battery halfway through the day anymore with both devices.

The bad is it's a bit shame to pull out the dumb phone to answer the call lol. Feels like im living in the 90s.

Mobilemaduk

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
cant live without these apps.......
- facetime
- imessage
- goodreader
- CBC TV
- puffin
- CNBC RT
- my university school app
- podcast
- passbook
- KTdict Chinese-English
- Viki (Android has it, but so buggy)

1 Word.....iPad

passbook not on iPad but will solve the rest of the "issues"

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.

Apparently, I use phones a lot with one hand. Even though it may be a struggle to reach the top left, I find the S3 and note 2 extremely uncomfortable. Just because I use a phone in a different way, doesn't mean I fell for the "marketing" you describe

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think unless you're lucky enough to be able to also afford an iPad, whatever phone you have is all you've got for a mobile device. That's why people get so adamant about wanting a larger screen. It's all they've got to work with.

That's why large screen phones are so popular. Not everyone can afford a tablet and not everyone wants to carry around two devices.

I picked up an iPad 2 when it came out and feel much less need for a larger phone (though I'd still take it if Apple put out a 4.3, 4.5" phone).

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
yes, and I am larger than average.

Unless you are an NBA player, you are still using two hands many times.

NBA player is a bit over the top,

but yeah im 6'5"
and haver larger hands than most.. and my hand fits perfect with the 4 inch..but any bigger and i wouldnt be able to reach each corner with my thumb.

So i'd have to agree that most people prolly cant reach the entire screen with one hand without moving their hand position...around.

----------

I think unless you're lucky enough to be able to also afford an iPad, whatever phone you have is all you've got for a mobile device. That's why people get so adamant about wanting a larger screen. It's all they've got to work with.

That's why large screen phones are so popular. Not everyone can afford a tablet and not everyone wants to carry around two devices.

I picked up an iPad 2 when it came out and feel much less need for a larger phone (though I'd still take it if Apple put out a 4.3, 4.5" phone).

Amen..

if i didnt have my ipad 3..i might actually feel a desire for a larger screen.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
The problem with android in the US is bloatware. Annoying bloatware. Absolutely mind numbing, RAM wasting, totally useless carrier crap bloatware. None of the android phone manufacturers have the balls to stand up to the carriers to forbid the automatic inclusion of their crapware.

Agreed, although some crapware comes from the vendors, too. I have the original EVO, where I constantly get a memory warning because I can't uninstall the crapware or even move it to the memory card. It also doesn't help that too many developers don't allow their apps to be moved to the memory card. When I download one and find that that's the case, I immediately uninstall it.

But when my EVO croaks, I'll probably go with another Android. The iPhone is just too small.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Why should we all do the same. Not everyone feels like you do. I certainly don't.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

should we also subumit something if we think you are wrong and that the phone is now too big?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.

This. That's why I kept my 4s and was planning on keeping it for years. I didn't forsee me dropping it on cement otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the 5. The 5 is way too big imo. I can't reach the back buttons with my thumb with one hand.

When I was younger I used to laugh at all the old folk that were against bigger phones but... have you seen those Android phablets out there? I mean, holey crap, let's put a plank in our pockets. lol.

----------

You should get an iPad mini. It's about the size you're looking for.

Thanks, you took the words right out of my mouth :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

The GS3 has a 4.8" screen with very similar resolution. The difference between the iPhone and GS3 is to get the same view you must hold the iPhone about 1.5" closer to your eyes.

If one smartphone is too small for your vision, they all are.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
the gs3 has a 4.8" screen with very similar resolution. The difference between the iphone and gs3 is to get the same view you must hold the iphone about 1.5" closer to your eyes.

If one smartphone is too small for your vision, they all are.

not so
4" is bigger screen in any other maker
the iphone 5 is 3.5" long

sevendust

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I'm not an Apple kiss-ass but here's what I can say to the OP. I am just enjoying my present iphone. I don't tend to look for faults coz it will just spoil the fun. If it does not have a problem and working fine , I'm good with it. If I am not happy with it, I will just sell it and buy what fits my needs. (no sarcasm meant )

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Thanks! I'l be sure to use this linke to tell them how much I LOVE the new screen size. :)

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have average, or maybe slightly larger hands than average. I have had the S3 and Gnex, and they are both easily navigated with one hand. It takes minimal effort and .2 seconds to adjust your phone in your hand(using only that same hand) to pull down the notification center at the top of the screen. I mean how lazy are people? :rolleyes:

All this two handed talk to use a 4.7" is a joke, i tons and tons of girls at work using the S3 all the time, none of them are bitching about the size.

I will say though ALL of these issues for the people that do have issues could easily be resolved if they JUST PUT THE DAMN CONTROLS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN INSTEAD. Its a simple fix...

Put the notification at the bottom, swipe up to get it, put all menu buttons, or any buttons at the bottom..easy again. There would be ZERO reasons to reach to the top of the screen then, unless you want to click a link or something maybe, but then all you gotta do anyway is scroll down a little to avoid that...who knows though, that may be to much work for some people :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.