Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I wish that all you people bragging about your $30 plan would just ****. You know they can end that at any time. You're not locked into it.

It's going to end eventually and you folks are just speeding it up. The more people that sign up and use a lot of data will force T-Mobile to make everyone choose a more costly plan.

So just shut up and enjoy your $30 plan and don't feel the need to brag about it on the internet. You are only hurting yourself in the long term.

You shouldn't be afraid of too many iPhone users using the $30 plan. Remember that this announcement would mean T-Mobile is going to be offering a subsidized iPhone on contract like all the other carriers. Using the $30 plan would still require people to pay full retail $650 upfront for the phone which the average user just is not willing to do. I can also assure you that the average consumer uses more than 100 minutes per month as well so the $30 plan will not be as attractive to the masses as you may think. Then lastly, once T-Mobile rolls out LTE next year, I'm almost certain that only postpaid subscribers will be able to access it.

slabwax

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I hate to be the pessimistic one in the bunch, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see an official T-mo Iphones until next summer at earliest. I hope I'm wrong. I've been with T-mo since the Voice Stream days. I like the price and the service, but when my contract is up in July my three lines are gone if they don'y have subsidized Iphones.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
Do you think they'll let everyone stay on the $30 plan for as long as they want?

iPhone users are data hogs unlike any other. The more iPhones that come aboard on the $30 plan, the likelihood increases that T-Mobile will end the deal and make everyone choose a different plan.

I signed up for it figuring that it would go away at some point. Then I would probably move to Straight Talk unless T-Mobile offers something similar.

I'm grandfathered into an old plan and T-Mobile has NEVER increased my rates in the 10 years or so I've been with them. My rates have in fact gone down as my services have gone up through customer loyalty perks. I haven't been on a standard rate plan in years and they have never forced me to change a thing.

----------

I hate to be the pessimistic one in the bunch, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see an official T-mo Iphones until next summer at earliest. I hope I'm wrong. I've been with T-mo since the Voice Stream days. I like the price and the service, but when my contract is up in July my three lines are gone if they don'y have subsidized Iphones.

I'm not holding my breath, either. I'll believe the T-Mo iPhone when I see it in their stores.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Maybe Apple won't make a T-Mobile version. Apple may have told T-Mobile: refarm or you don't get iPhone.

No. Enabling AWS HSPA+ on the iPhone 5 is a matter of modifying or updating something, there's no major redesign needed. The hardware's already there, and we know it wouldn't even have been very hard on the 4 or 4S. The reason it's not enabled now on the unlocked ones is that Apple wants to put roadblocks up for T-Mobile unless they pay the Apple ransom. Also, even if T-Mobile refarms all their coverage area, they still need the capacity of AWS HSPA+. Yes, T-Mobile is moving towards HSPA+ running on PCS anyways for their own phones, but for now, AWS HSPA+ will play a role on their network.

The whole thing about Apple only doing an iPhone on the standard frequencies with GSM died a cold, hard death with the VeriPhone 4. They will make whatever phone can deliver the cold, hard, cash.

----------

Who the hell cares if you get this many Mbps or that many...

Amazing you pay $100+ per line for Verizon to have what T-mobile has for wayyy cheaper. Cool your crazy expensive plan advertises THIS MANY Mbps.

I can't go anywhere with out at least 2 OPEN wifi connections available. I always prefer wifi soo much faster.

And all this talk about LOL GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR 300-400ms PINGS LOLOLOL

Really? A full second would even be acceptable. People are bitching about Milliseconds now? MILLISECONDS!??! You mean that thing LESS THAN A SECOND? Let's stop nerdgasming over useless specs and technicalities and look at the bigger picture.. Apple is going to make more money. T-Mobile customers would be happy and... everyone wins.

Slow and steady wins the race...(please don't prove me wrong T-Mobile)

T-Mobile actually has one of the fastest networks. However, the problem is that many people, myself included, like to have coverage wherever they are, not just near the highways and cities. T-Mobile doesn't deliver that, and AT&T does.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
Really?! I found TMO Edge speeds basically unusable, except for email. Just getting a web page to load was unbearable. I was happy with their 3G/"4G", just couldn't deal with the 2G I was still seeing way to often in my area, and I'm only 10-11 miles from Boston.

Very happy the past few weeks on Verizon. Of course, I admit I'm paying more...oh well.

Really? That's too bad because I drive a lot for work in and out of Boston, the Southshore and west to Natick and I routinely get 13-18Mbps with Speedtest and sub 90ms pings. In more remote suburbs where the load is less, I've gotten as high as 23Mbps!!! Again this is HSPA+ on a Samsung GS3. At home in the Southshore, I get about 9-10Mbps with only 1 bar of reception.

What phone did you use to use?

I'm a postpaid customer but my bill is $45/month for True Unlimited Data w/400 Texts (original Android Data plan)/1000 Minutes with Free N&W since I talk a lot for work but am not a heavy texter. T-Mobile has been excellent in terms of value. The only issue is deep building penetration where my company issued AT&T dumb phone can carry a call in an elevator shaft.

Last edited:

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
This is good news, and I don't even think the LTE is a big issue if the iPhone does proper HSPA+, because T-Mobile's HSPA+ can be pretty darn fast. Case in point:

Awesome! That's what I get here in the suburbs of Boston during the day. I hit those speeds in and around town at night as well. Perhaps all the people who fled T-Mobile in the recent years "freed up" the network:p

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I'm waiting on this announcement just to see what they have cooking. If it is a T-mobile iPhone then bye bye Sprint. I'm sure T-mobile's 3G is 100 times faster than Sprint's non-existent LTE. My friend lives in Atlanta, GA and LTE is lit up all over the city and I can barely find it in Dallas, TX.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I would welcome anything on Tmo that would subsidize the iphone.

I just got my wife a used iPhone 4, and tested it out over the past few days. 3G is available in a few places, and the speed is actually decent enough for day-to-day use.

I haven't tried Hulu on it yet, but I suspect that is where it might not work so well.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Why do people put iPhones on T-Mobile? If you're that enamored with T-Mobile's cheap prices and poor coverage, get something that actually works with their network fully, like an SGS III. Even in areas with 1900mhz 3G, you will still get faster service with DC-HSPA+ on AWS.

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
Really? That's too bad because I drive a lot for work in and out of Boston, the Southshore and west to Natick and I routinely get 13-18Mbps with Speedtest and sub 90ms pings. In more remote suburbs where the load is less, I've gotten as high as 23Mbps!!! Again this is HSPA+ on a Samsung GS3. At home in the Southshore, I get about 9-10Mbps with only 1 bar of reception.

What phone did you use to use?

I had a Sensation 4G. Like I mentioned, when I was on 3G/4G I was very happy on TMO. For the most part, web pages loaded fast and the network was reliable for me. In fact, as far as call quality, I dropped far less calls on TMO then I did back on AT&T (I ported to TMO around new year's 2010). My only real gripe was when I would end up on 2G data :mad:. I couldn't get web pages to load, and I saw 2G more than I wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.