Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lou3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
ORDERED!

It might not have been the God iMac I was hoping for, but it's time to get a new one, so I bought it. Also ordered an iPad Retina.

I'm also probably the only person on here that just ordered the base 21.5 model. I will use it primarily for storing family photos, music, and some light Illustrator and Photoshop. The base model is more than enough computer to do that for 3-4 years.

After all the discussion and criticism, I think this computer was designed for me. I'm a mac user, I'm comfortable in their ecosystem, I need a desktop for some stuff, but I can finally admit to myself I don't need a Mac Pro.

Then when Apple Care expires, I'll crack that bitch open and replace the HDD with an SSD (I'm guessing in 3-4 years 1TB SSD might be pretty cheap) and see if I can't get to the RAM myself.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Can't believe they've already shot up to 3-4 weeks for delivery. Had hoped to get one for Xmas but the missus phaffed too much (was 1-2 weeks, then 15-19 days and now 3-4 weeks) but she apparently has to be the one to order it :(

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
ORDERED!

It might not have been the God iMac I was hoping for, but it's time to get a new one, so I bought it. Also ordered an iPad Retina.

I'm also probably the only person on here that just ordered the base 21.5 model. I will use it primarily for storing family photos, music, and some light Illustrator and Photoshop. The base model is more than enough computer to do that for 3-4 years.

After all the discussion and criticism, I think this computer was designed for me. I'm a mac user, I'm comfortable in their ecosystem, I need a desktop for some stuff, but I can finally admit to myself I don't need a Mac Pro.

Then when Apple Care expires, I'll crack that bitch open and replace the HDD with an SSD (I'm guessing in 3-4 years 1TB SSD might be pretty cheap) and see if I can't get to the RAM myself.

I don't think you can replace the HDD on the 21.5".....not b.c it would void the warranty, but b.c it may be soldered down.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I don't think you can replace the HDD on the 21.5".....not b.c it would void the warranty, but b.c it may be soldered down.

HDD soldered down? uhhh.... no. Of course you can replace it. If I decide to get one (haven't decided yet) then I'll be replacing the HDD with an SSD on day 1.

Frowns

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Tokyo
The photo does realistically show how thin it looks from that perspective. Everyone knows that it has a buldge on the back to hold the hard drive and hardware.

If that were true, then why does Apple exclusively show the iMac from a slight angle to only show the sleek edge and keep the bulge hidden?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
HDD soldered down? uhhh.... no. Of course you can replace it. If I decide to get one (haven't decided yet) then I'll be replacing the HDD with an SSD on day 1.

I just feel like I have read you cannot replace anything in the 21.5". I know the MacBook retinas has everything soldered down or is that just the RAM?

Last edited:

Chris The Rock

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Exactly what RAM do I need to purchase?

I ordered a 27" this morning and I'm going to upgrade the RAM myself.

What should I order?

Looks like the RAM has changed from what was in the 2011 iMac, and Apple hasn't updated their support document to indicate what type of RAM is in the new one.

Any advice?

Thanks.

winmacuser

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
The design still doesn't convince me.

I guess the main reason they kept the "chin" is because they needed some space for the speaker "tunnels". If they made the edge just 0.5" thicker maybe they would have been able to place the tunnels behind the display panel and remove that ugly chin, so that there is just the display in front of you (which is what they usually like to point out in the keynotes) It would also dampen that "pregnant" back effect.

But who knows, I guess they had plenty of design prototypes, maybe they tried it but it didn't work.

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
What the hell? No EPP discount? I see 6% off in all Macs but the new iMac :(
That better be a mistake...

Doesn't seem to be a mistake - tho I would love it if true. I too wanted EPP pricing!

Thought about pretending to be buying academic pricing for my daughter - she's going off to college next year - wouldn't that count? ;)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Doesn't seem to be a mistake - tho I would love it if true. I too wanted EPP pricing!

Thought about pretending to be buying academic pricing for my daughter - she's going off to college next year - wouldn't that count? ;)

oddly enough they don't verify that at all. You just enter the school you go to and get the discount.....really strange to me. You would think they would at least send you an email to the EDU address to confirm it

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
oddly enough they don't verify that at all. You just enter the school you go to and get the discount.....really strange to me. You would think they would at least send you an email to the EDU address to confirm it

Yea, to be honest, I've done that before - but since this is a business purchase, I decided to be ethical about it :)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I guess the main reason they kept the "chin" is because they needed some space for the speaker "tunnels".

It probably just wouldn't look right without the chin. There'd be nowhere to put the Apple logo, and from the front it would just look like a generic knock-off LCD monitor and lose that iMac look. The chin is a design element that makes an iMac recognizable.

Lou3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
I just feel like I have read you cannot replace anything in the 21.5". I know the MacBook retinas has everything soldered down or is that just the RAM?

Notice I said I'll wait until AppleCare expires. It isn't soldered, but it also isn't "user replaceable" as defined by Apple. Typically if something is "user replaceable" it is in an easily accessible spot (often tool-less) and can be easily swapped. On older Macbooks you just removed the battery and one screw to get to both the HDD and RAM.

Though you are right, in the MacBook the RAM is soldered to the board, and since the iMac 21.5 was also given the "non user replaceable" tag, it was assumed the RAM would be soldered here too. Given the photos of the takedown, it appears the RAM is a standard slotted DIMM, which means you can just slide new RAM in.

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to get to. And removing that many components probably voids any Apple warranty.

So, can you just pop in a new HDD and RAM? No, but it isn't impossible like previously thought.

jbru13

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
7200 rpm fusion drives on 27"

Didn't see this mentioned already, but I just spoke to Debbie T. on livechat, and she confirmed that while the 21.5" imac only has a 5400rpm fusion drive, the 27" model has a 7200rpm drive. So if you're doing performance-oriented work, definitely either get the 27", or plan to take your 21.5" model to an authorized shop immediately and have a faster drive installed. You definitely don't want to do intensive photo or video work on a 5400rpm drive. You'll regret it.

Stvno

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012

As i mentioned before I talked to the apple support and they said they have a software problem with the prices for the Imac but they are going to fix it until monday for sure

Macrovertigo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Vermont/España/etc.
ok, half an hour on hold but my iMac is ordered!

I feel great about my choice, especially after reading everyone's comments and responses to comments.
for the record, my baby is the "basic" 27 inch, 2.9ghz, the only upgrade is the 3T Fusion, I will go to macsales.com for memory later. Oh, and I bought the super drive and a battery charger too.
- thanks to the forum and to the participants for the info!

Trailgoer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
New Cinema Display?

Any rumor of the cinema display being updated to the form of the new iMac and USB 3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.