Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Hello? Opera Mini anyone?
It's that if you want to use the WebKit engine that's included you need to. Trust me, I'm a dev - they changed that in the 5.1 SDK update.

As KingihtWRX said, opera mini does not render HTML or JavaScript. It is very different in the way it works and is not a true browser.
All the work is being handled by operas servers, then interactive images are sent to you.
This is very limiting and most modern and interactive websites will not work with opera mini.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Is it me or is google intentionally just not updating the YouTube app? I think all of their apps have been updated now for the iPhone 5 except the YouTube app. Even google voice and google drive.

Also, I can't get videos to play with sound on chrome. Anyone else having that problem?

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Again, you just want it to be Google's fault. The fact remains : Google cannot use anything but UIWebView, so they are stuck with all its limitations (no Nitro, no background thread rendering, etc...). All browsers on iOS are limited this way.

No, the background thread rendering was enabled as of iOS6 once you build with the new SDK.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Uh ? You haven't been around many open source projects. It has nothing to do with money.
You just want it to be so. Reality obviously tells a different story. Otherwise, provide sources for your claim.
Opera Mini does not have a Javascript engine nor does it have a HTML rendering engine. Apple absolutely does not allow 3rd parties to implement Javascript/Rendering engines.
Again, you just want it to be Google's fault. The fact remains : Google cannot use anything but UIWebView, so they are stuck with all its limitations (no Nitro, no background thread rendering, etc...). All browsers on iOS are limited this way.
Opera Mini is not a browser per se. It does not fetch and render HTML on your IOS device. I think you need to read up on how Opera Mini works.

You're delusional. (BIG) Open Source projects have EVERYTHING to do with money. Look at the Linux Kernel. WebKit. FireFox. Ubuntu. All are mainly written by commercial employees. Reality is reality, is reality, is reality, is reality.

Opera Mini does render it. Some of it is offsite, but it is rendered.

Google CAN use other things than UIWebView - Dart runs as a built-in extension in Chrome for iOS... 'splain that then.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Google CAN use other things than UIWebView - Dart runs as a built-in extension in Chrome for iOS... 'splain that then.

Could you please provide a source for this? I haven't been able to find any support for the assertion that Dart VM is implemented in Chrome for iOS.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Could you please provide a source for this? I haven't been able to find any support for the assertion that Dart VM is implemented in Chrome for iOS.

Of course he can't. The guidelines for iOS are clear and it's the reason all browsers on the app store are just GUIs around UIWebView. Google even states so much in their faq :

https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/iosoverview

Anyway, it's point 2.17 (Apps that browse the web must use the iOS WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript) of the App Store guidelines, I don't know how much more clear it can get than that, obviously something spyguy doesn't want to tell us. The guidelines are available to registered developers from here :

https://developer.apple.com/appstore/guidelines.html

I've moved him to ignore, he only brings hate and vitriol to the discussion, with no basis in reality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.