Or is this new version fast as ****?
The Spectacle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:20 PM   #27
VPrime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Hello? Opera Mini anyone?
It's that if you want to use the WebKit engine that's included you need to. Trust me, I'm a dev - they changed that in the 5.1 SDK update.
As KingihtWRX said, opera mini does not render HTML or JavaScript. It is very different in the way it works and is not a true browser.
All the work is being handled by operas servers, then interactive images are sent to you.
This is very limiting and most modern and interactive websites will not work with opera mini.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:13 PM   #28
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Nope, a lot more people use the Chrome app than the YouTube app.
The YouTube app still doesn't support AirPlay or the iPad, why would anyone want to use that?
Touché!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:35 AM   #29
AHDuke99
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
Is it me or is google intentionally just not updating the YouTube app? I think all of their apps have been updated now for the iPhone 5 except the YouTube app. Even google voice and google drive.

Also, I can't get videos to play with sound on chrome. Anyone else having that problem?
AHDuke99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:52 AM   #30
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Again, you just want it to be Google's fault. The fact remains : Google cannot use anything but UIWebView, so they are stuck with all its limitations (no Nitro, no background thread rendering, etc...). All browsers on iOS are limited this way.
No, the background thread rendering was enabled as of iOS6 once you build with the new SDK.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:36 AM   #31
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Uh ? You haven't been around many open source projects. It has nothing to do with money.
You just want it to be so. Reality obviously tells a different story. Otherwise, provide sources for your claim.
Opera Mini does not have a Javascript engine nor does it have a HTML rendering engine. Apple absolutely does not allow 3rd parties to implement Javascript/Rendering engines.
Again, you just want it to be Google's fault. The fact remains : Google cannot use anything but UIWebView, so they are stuck with all its limitations (no Nitro, no background thread rendering, etc...). All browsers on iOS are limited this way.
Opera Mini is not a browser per se. It does not fetch and render HTML on your IOS device. I think you need to read up on how Opera Mini works.
You're delusional. (BIG) Open Source projects have EVERYTHING to do with money. Look at the Linux Kernel. WebKit. FireFox. Ubuntu. All are mainly written by commercial employees. Reality is reality, is reality, is reality, is reality.

Opera Mini does render it. Some of it is offsite, but it is rendered.

Google CAN use other things than UIWebView - Dart runs as a built-in extension in Chrome for iOS... 'splain that then.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:59 AM   #32
macsmurf
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Google CAN use other things than UIWebView - Dart runs as a built-in extension in Chrome for iOS... 'splain that then.
Could you please provide a source for this? I haven't been able to find any support for the assertion that Dart VM is implemented in Chrome for iOS.
macsmurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:16 AM   #33
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsmurf View Post
Could you please provide a source for this? I haven't been able to find any support for the assertion that Dart VM is implemented in Chrome for iOS.
Of course he can't. The guidelines for iOS are clear and it's the reason all browsers on the app store are just GUIs around UIWebView. Google even states so much in their faq :

https://developers.google.com/chrome...cs/iosoverview

Anyway, it's point 2.17 (Apps that browse the web must use the iOS WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript) of the App Store guidelines, I don't know how much more clear it can get than that, obviously something spyguy doesn't want to tell us. The guidelines are available to registered developers from here :

https://developer.apple.com/appstore/guidelines.html

I've moved him to ignore, he only brings hate and vitriol to the discussion, with no basis in reality.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion