Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apples-new-fusion-drive-not-a-typical-hybrid-drive/

I have yet to see anyone offering a 128 GB "cache" drive. Anyways, read the above, it's way different than caching.
It's essentially a cache drive with a very large cache, where the cache doesn't empty therefore you you can use the cache as part of the storage too. Caching is a technique of using the speed of a faster drive to make the whole system fast. This just takes it to the limit, and dumps all frequently used files on the SSD. Windows has had the ability for you to add your own SSD and use either part of it or all of it as cache. And people have been setting up their own dual SSD and HDD system for a while now. They just didn't have the software to manage it and so manage it themselves by putting media in the HDD and and everything else in the SSD.

OlMighty

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
I'm not normally motivated enough by the comments macrumor forums to be tempted to weigh in, but seeing as I have been planning to buy an imac for some time, it seemed appropriate.

With regard to the main issues over the new iteration of the iMac:
Thinness - Fantastic, it looks amazing, so make it as thin as you want, provided that it doesn't compromise performance.
Retina - It would have been nice, regardless of the potential price implications for this, but the current resolution is more than sufficient.
User serviceability - this point may now be moot given the teardown, but I would want to be able to upgrade elements. This isn't the same issue as non-replaceable batteries
Optical Drive - It's easy to say 'don't buy it then', that's not the point. Regardless of whether you use it everyday, infrequently or never, it's about having access to the feature. Even if I only used it once every six months, I wouldn't want to have to buy an external drive for that purpose. It's better to have and not need, than need and not have.
Price - this model is already more expensive than the previous version which does irritate. I don't mind paying more for more features, but dislike paying more for the same (or less). If the optical drive was no longer necessary, I'd want that to be reflected in the price.

Last edited:

OlMighty

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
You'd save like $15 or so. I'm sure the cost saving has been reflected somewhere, but it's such a small amount, you probably wouldn't notice it.

And man, I love how easy the thing is to hook up. You just take it out, plug it in, and there you go.

Yeah, I know the cost would be negligible, which is the other reason I find it hard to reconcile why it's been removed. But the bigger issue is if something is removed, regardless of the cost, why does the whole imac cost more?

And I hate having to go and find my external drive to connect to my Macbook Air. Let alone if the cable has gone missing. It's a pain but something I put up with for portability, which isn't a factor in an imac.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The Mac Mini could be a better option if...

The Mac Mini could be a better option if...
...it came with a real video card (nVidia, AMD) instead of crappy Intel Graphics Card.

...RAM continues to be user upgradeable.

...Hard Drive remains user upgradeable.

This way, I would purchase the biggest Cinema Display, and upgrade to newer Mac Minis as needed.

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
What kind of useless questions are these? Sure I'll have a stab at being on the opposite end then:

Does anyone use the Super Drive? No.
Does removing the Super Drive allow the iMac to be eight pounds lighter? Yes
Did Apple add any new features? Fusion Drive
Can you install more than 16GB of ram? Yes.
Does it perform better? Yes. Fusion Drive + Ivy Bridge + 1536 CUDA cores GFX + 32GB ram + less reflection on the display

Ridiculous.

Yes, some people use a Super Drive still. There are external drives around (god forbit anyone's moronic enough to buy one for $80), but it's an added purchase for a desktop computer that has no reason not to have an optical drive of some kind. But whats the trade off for no drive?
8 pounds lighter. It's a desktop computer for god sake. I want my phones and my tabs to be thin and light. Because they go in my pocket; I move them around. A desktop computer sits on the top of a desk. Useless innovation.
Fusion Drive: Yes! Only if you upgrade the top-end iMac to have it.
Point for you, I have no doubt this thing performs quite well.

I love Apple's products, use their phones and tablets, but this thing is just sad. Their quest for "thin and light as prime directive" knows no bounds.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I can see mSata connector in one of pics (white thing in lower left corner - http://www.melablog.it/galleria/imac-2012-smontato/8). I wonder if you can put your own mSata SSD and how would it work? I'm not into Fusion Drive - prefer to have my two drives visible.

PS. Hey, I'm new! :)

Apple doesn't use standard mSATA so no, you can't just use any mSATA SSD, afaik only OWC makes one compatible with the rMBP which supposedly uses the same connector.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I love Apple's products, use their phones and tablets, but this thing is just sad. Their quest for "thin and light as prime directive" knowo bounds.
how do you know that was the "prime directive" and not moving away from optical drives? People complained when Apple removed the floppy drive but that had nothing to do with thin and light. Seems to me Apple thinks optical drives and wired networking are becoming things of the past.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Massive failure

Absence of an anti-glare matte panel option: FAIL

No ergonomic adjustments: FAIL

Continuation of Apple's form-over-function design ethos: FAIL

There is nothing to see here... :rolleyes:

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Is the imac lighter? YES(by about 33% for the 27" model), this may not mean much to you, but guess what, an optical drive doesn't mean much to me. Some people move their imacs around quite a bit.
I'm one of those people myself. Yeah, shaving 9 pounds off the 27" model is definitely an improvement, but they did so in a way that's really questionable. I have absolutely no problems with how thick my iMac is, but maybe it would be nice if they eliminated or trimmed away at the "chin" on the computer, or squeezed in the black border around the screen.
Apple could have reduced the size of their computer in other regions that would have been more meaningful to consumers, but instead they improved on something nobody was complaining about... and welded up the RAM inside the 21.5" model. :/

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
how do you know that was the "prime directive" and not moving away from optical drives? People complained when Apple removed the floppy drive but that had nothing to do with thin and light. Seems to me Apple thinks optical drives and wired networking are becoming things of the past.

I feel like if you remove something that's obsolete, you replace it with the technology that is responsible for it's obsolecense (in this case, I believe, cloud computing and digital purchases of media, etc). The floppy drive was replaced by the optical drive. The optical drive was not replaced with any hardware, and the computer became thinner and lighter. I agree that the need for an optical drive is drastically decreased from where it was, I was merely disappointed they removed this practicality completely, merely to replace it with nothing and make a computer that is not intended to be moved more mobile.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Technically the 27" iMac already close to retina, in fact just a hear shy of the 15 RMBP. Especially since your viewing from over 2 feet. The only "real" retina displays are the iphone 4S/5 and the ipad.

Nonsense - it's drastically non-retina compared to the MBPr. The MBPr weighs in at 213 ppi and the 27" iMac at 108 ppi. For a 27" screen to hit that level it would need to go beyond the 4k UHD standard and probably won't happen for quite a while.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Socketed RAM! Kind of painful to access, but not soldered. I imagine the target audience for the 21.5" isn't generally the sort of folks who disassembled their new computer using suction cups to do a RAM upgrade, but you _could_.

Plus, even though the Apple configuration only allows for 16GB, I'd be surprised if a couple of 16GB DIMMs wouldn't allow for 32GB in the 21.5" models :)

Folks coming over to visit the little one today, and I'll be convincing them to place an order :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I feel like if you remove something that's obsolete, you replace it with the technology that is responsible for it's obsolecense (in this case, I believe, cloud computing and digital purchases of media, etc). The floppy drive was replaced by the optical drive. The optical drive was not replaced with any hardware, and the computer became thinner and lighter. I agree that the need for an optical drive is drastically decreased from where it was, I was merely disappointed they removed this practicality completely, merely to replace it with nothing and make a computer that is not intended to be moved more mobile.

What hardware does an optical drive need to be replaced with? :confused:

----------

Absence of an anti-glare matte panel option: FAIL

No ergonomic adjustments: FAIL

Continuation of Apple's form-over-function design ethos: FAIL

There is nothing to see here... :rolleyes:

Don't buy one then. :rolleyes:

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
its sucks that it is not a retina display. I have rmbp i cant go to non retina device anymore

The 27" display panel is 2560x1440 which is definitely NOT retina by any means, but it's pretty close. I definitely don't mind using my 27 inch Thunderbolt display after using my RMBP but I definitely do not like using my 24 inch HP monitor at work which is only 1080p.

Would it be nice to have Retina? Yeah. I'm sure Apple will do retina next year when the whole 4K craze comes about, and the cost to make the panels comes down. Meanwhile, they are suckering us all into buying a new iMac, merely for the "anti reflective" display, which is worth its weight in gold if you ask me.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
not true, it is retina, the rmbp screen is so much better than my non retina mbp and it is obvious

Ur comparing a retina mbp to a non retina mbp. Of course there's gonna be a difference. When u compare a Rmbp to a non retina iMac, sitting at the proper distances, it's hardly a huge difference.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
What kind of useless questions are these? Sure I'll have a stab at being on the opposite end then:

Does anyone use the Super Drive? No.
Does removing the Super Drive allow the iMac to be eight pounds lighter? Yes
Did Apple add any new features? Fusion Drive
Can you install more than 16GB of ram? Yes.
Does it perform better? Yes. Fusion Drive + Ivy Bridge + 1536 CUDA cores GFX + 32GB ram + less reflection on the display

You can install 32gb of ram in the previous iMac, people still use ODDs and they took away more features than they added :rolleyes: .

----------

I'm sorry, is that a REPLACEABLE PROCESSOR??? :eek:
http://www.kodawarisan.com/k2012_02/images/113022.png

HOW IS THAT A SUPRISE??? :eek:

THERE WERE UPGRADEABLE CPUS IN THE LAST FEW IMACS!!! :eek:

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
So I take it no one has noticed the fact that the iMac is in fact glued together? If you look closely at the teardown pics you can see the 1/4 wide (guessing) beed of adhesive around the perimeter of the display... It might still be easy to open however because of the size of the display vs the small amount of glue they used.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
All the whinny people on this forum are a disappointment to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

----------

Is you lack of English the reason you sound like a whinny, spoiled brat? But, hey, cool story bro.

You shouldn't be mocking someone's grammar if you can't do any better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.