Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
iMac G4 is my (when my pc is to overloaded from virtual machines) web machine.
My PM just sits in the box now adays, she used to be my back up system and my install via FW400 machine for older Macs but now my iMac can do the same thing. Poor old PM. It was my first Mac too about 5 years ago.:(

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I donated/loaned my old G4 PB (1 Ghz), 17" to my father. He's 80, and he does his correspondence and web stuff on it. He loves the big pixels.

My Dual MDD is working as a home server (file repository backup), which it does pretty well thanks to a SATA card and two huge drives.

I had a PMG5, but was annoyed by the simultaneous need for a PC workstation, so I sold both and got an iMac, which (thanks to bootcamp and parallels) ran both platforms.

Of all the Mac's I've had and sold, the only ones I really miss are a PBG4 12", that G5 and the first (and only) Alu Macbook.

RGDS,

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
My dual processor 1.8ghz PowerMac G5, with 4gb RAM & the GeForce 6800 Ultra is used for everything. You name it, web-surfing, email, media/file/FTP server, iTunes, Spotify, word processing, keynote presentations, games, photo & video editing, Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Express/Pro 7, Windows XP in Virtual PC 7, torrents & more. I run & do absolutely everything on my G5 & plan to do so for the forceable future. I love my G5 and have absolutely no intent in jumping on the main machine Intel bandwagon anytime soon.
awww yeah, same as me, though I got the ATI Fire GL graphics card. I'd be interested in seeing what OpenMark score you get...

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
My eMac does everything I do on a computer. Which honestly, isn't a whole lot. Light web browsing, iTunes, iChat, some light audio editing and DVD ripping.

It isn't a speed demon at any of these things, but thankfully I am a patient person. I don't mind the 3+ minute boot time, or the fact that it usually takes between 24-48 hours to rip a movie. Or that YouTube...well, it doesn't really work. At all. If I had to use the machine for work, that might be a different story. But as is, my time spent on my eMac is personal, messing around time, of which has little to no value. ;)

However, I find it pretty funny that it keeps pace pretty easily with my netbook at most any task (with a few exceptions) which is 4 years newer. :D

heartsglory

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2005
Mine is my main machine. I use it for developing websites for clients, video editing for my father-in-law and some great classic gaming!

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
You're a highly competent regular poster so I imagine you know about youview, mactubes, and leopard webkit with click to plugin will play youtube via quicktime (360p, or what we used to call "high quality" before everyone thought they had a constitutional right to 1080p) very comfortably inside the browser on my 1.07 ghz ibook, which is 40% slower than your eMac.

To anyone who happens upon this post: Youtube on anything faster than a 700 mhz G4 is totally doable, provided you avoid the evil that is Flash.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Just setup my first desk area in over a year, I'm listening to my favorite local radio station online and playing Rise Of Nations Gold on the iMac. Love the old G4's for this, they just chug along.

Attachments

• CIMG0939.JPG
    CIMG0939.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 137

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
You're a highly competent regular poster so I imagine you know about youview, mactubes, and leopard webkit with click to plugin will play youtube via quicktime (360p, or what we used to call "high quality" before everyone thought they had a constitutional right to 1080p) very comfortably inside the browser on my 1.07 ghz ibook, which is 40% slower than your eMac.

To anyone who happens upon this post: Youtube on anything faster than a 700 mhz G4 is totally doable, provided you avoid the evil that is Flash.

Of course there's little workarounds like these (I do have MacTubes installed), but I was referring more to that it just doesn't work, "right out of the box" like it would on most newer machines. My clarification is notoriously absent is most of my posts. ;)

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
G4 notebook used as a netbook. Well, except for when I need to access YouTube. I'll use my iPhone (original, 4, and 5) to access YouTube content before I use my notebook. Other than that, it's great for emails and light web surfing.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
G4 notebook used as a netbook. Well, except for when I need to access YouTube. I'll use my iPhone (original, 4, and 5) to access YouTube content before I use my notebook. Other than that, it's great for emails and light web surfing.

Use mactubes, youview, viewtube greasemonkey script and or click to plugin in leopard webkit and your G4 netbook should have no problem with Youtube either.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

Yeah, the iBook G4 can be considered as a 'netbook' except that I can run Photoshop CS3 and deal with 14.0 MP pictures with no issues.

As for Youtube, I have no issues. I can watch 360p with Safari. Of course my ibook G4 has 1.2 Ghz and 1.25 of RAM

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Right now nearly everything runs on my iMac G5 iSight since my Mac Book went south.
I'll have another Book this week at which time the iMac will go back to ripping and rendering.

8582160487_df2820809b.jpg

That little black box plugged in behind the iMac contains the MacBook drive.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I saw this one store at Market Mall in my city that still uses the iMac G4's. There's two of them sitting on the counter for the main lobby.

MisterMorse

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
Windsor, VT
My G5 Quad is my main computer. I do everything with it. Web surfing, email, Photoshop (touching up old family photos), genealogy, video editing, music (streamed to my receiver downstairs), Youtube, watch an occasional movie (prefer the couch downstairs) and anything and everything else.:)

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My G5 is going to the living room by the end of the week to replacing my parents' 2004 HP tower that is on its last legs and the logic board about to fry. Funny enough, the Power Mac is older. Should be a smooth transition. They'll actually be able to sync their iPhones and iPods with it. :D.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
What are you guys running your Powerbook G4 12'' with? I have 10.5.8 on it, and it is running extremely sluggish(or maybe this is expected?).

wobegong

May 29, 2012
After all this talk I got all nostalgic last week and brought my G5 out of retirement as an XBMC server and replaced it with my old MB. Spent about two days reinstalling Office, PS, Skype, Aperture, Perian, Transmission, Evernote, Dropbox, MacTubes, iTunes, Spotify, VLC, iStatmenus, Syncmate (not tried this before but installed following the good things I've read about it here for a trial), few games (Quake4, Doom3, Amnesia, BF1942, UT2004) and after re familiarising myself with Webkit (frequent beach balling), TFF etc. settled on Roccat which I had no previous experience of but so far seems absolutely perfect.

If I'm honest it feels kind of good to be back with it, lets see if I can organise my requirements between the MBP and the G5 such that I can avoid the frustrations that led me to switch full time to the MBP previously and keep that purely as a travel companion (as my travel is increasing again recently).
Looking for a Skype replacement will be No.1 on the list for video calls.. Jitsi?...iChat Google Talk...has to be something compatible with iPad/PC/Modern Mac...

P.S. - Will be adding a spare 256Gb SSD as the boot drive (will Carbon Copy clone the current 2Tb drive across and then keep that as a second drive for data storage (music/photos/videos etc).

ftored

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
What are you guys running your Powerbook G4 12'' with? I have 10.5.8 on it, and it is running extremely sluggish(or maybe this is expected?).

I always install leopard 10.5.8 on it but then i find it unbearable to use so i revert to 10.4.11. I use office 2004, dropbox, tenfourfox, mactubes (bit choppy) and that's about it. I find the OS with these apps is just fine for the simple tasks i need it (papers reading and writing) until i get a new laptop as my Air died

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I always install leopard 10.5.8 on it but then i find it unbearable to use so i revert to 10.4.11. I use office 2004, dropbox, tenfourfox, mactubes (bit choppy) and that's about it. I find the OS with these apps is just fine for the simple tasks i need it (papers reading and writing) until i get a new laptop as my Air died

Thanks. I have been thinking to put 10.4.11 back into that machine. I would like to use it for paper writing (Tex) and reading. I glad dropbox is there. Maybe I will put Tiger back into it. Besides that, I have to find a used fan to put into the machine, as the fan on my Powerbook is extremely loud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.