Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Is it just me or does it look like there are just 4 screws and a connector holding the hard drive in? This means it should be very easy to upgrade to an ssd and not have to waste money on a fusion or 800 gig ssd.

I am really hoping this is the case since I just ordered the base 7200.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Is it just me or does it look like there are just 4 screws and a connector holding the hard drive in? This means it should be very easy to upgrade to an ssd and not have to waste money on a fusion or 800 gig ssd.

Yes it looks like that, but let's wait for some real teardown. Someone over at Ars Technica actually commented that the screen is glued in...so we really have to wait to actually see how easy it is to open up the new iMacs!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

And suction cups.:)

Also, the RAM in the 21" is replaceable, better install your own, much cheaper.
It seems this iMac is easier to open than the 2011 model.

Yes it looks like that, but let's wait for some real teardown. Someone over at Ars Technica actually commented that the screen is glued in...so we really have to wait to actually see how easy it is to open up the new iMacs!

In an earlier article today on MR there was this link to a Japanese site with photo's and they showed suction cups.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
In an earlier article today on MR there was this link to a Japanese site with photo's and they showed suction cups.

Yes, but the skipped quite a few steps between pictures of showing the suction cups and the display off. What are those steps? Is it as simple as disconnecting a few wires, or is it that plus having to pry off glue in order to remove it completely?

Last edited:

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Yes, but the skipped quite a few steps between pictures of showing the suction cups and the display off. What are those steps? Is it as simple as disconnecting a few wires, or is it that plus having to pry off glue in order to remove it complete?

My point exactly. There article doesn't mention anything. The guy who posted on Ars Technica said he found this french guy from an apple centric side and found that the screen was glued in.

Still I guess this is all rumors. Let's all just wait for the iFixit teardown!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes, but the skipped quite a few steps between pictures of showing the suction cups and the display off. What are those steps? Is it as simple as disconnecting a few wires, or is it that plus having to pry off glue in order to remove it complete?

You could be right, probably soon for ifixit to find out.

My point exactly. There article doesn't mention anything. The guy who posted on Ars Technica said he found this french guy from an apple centric side and found that the screen was glued in.

Still I guess this is all rumors. Let's all just wait for the iFixit teardown!

That's French and even using google translate it doesn't make much sense to me.:eek:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
You could be right, probably soon for ifixit to find out.

Looking at the pictures more closely, it sure looks like there is a seal that is/was covered in glue. You can see it frayed in this picture. I bet they had to pull the top with suction cups and then use a puddy knife to separate the screen from the frame.

Hopefully iFitit posts a teardown today.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Even if the screen is glued on wouldn't a small bit of heat from a heat gun allow someone to pry open the screen the same way as with previous models, only you would need to apply a little bit of heat prior to doing so? I am almost certain that there wouldn't be a problem to pry open the screen given some heat as almost anything or all things glued to metal is easily able to be pried apart when metal is at a certain temperture. Same can be said with things sometimes prying apart on its own when bonded to metal when metal starts to become colder. Normally a lot of times somethings can't adhere to metal because of how cold it can become.

This being said I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what kind of glue they used to bond the screen but I'm sure when the elements are brought to the right tempertures that it could easily pry apart from each other.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Looking at the pictures more closely, it sure looks like there is a seal that is/was covered in glue. You can see it frayed in this picture. I bet they had to pull the top with suction cups and then use a puddy knife to separate the screen from the frame.

Hopefully iFitit posts a teardown today.

I also saw that, maybe Apple invented a new magnetic non ferro system.:eek:

Edit, what about glue similar to stickies(you know the 3M ones) but stronger.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
This being said I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what kind of glue they used to bond the screen but I'm sure when the elements are brought to the right tempertures that it could easily pry apart from each other.

Apart is the easy part, getting it back together nicely is the harder part! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.