Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphonehelp56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Hi, i have an iphone 5 that has sooooo much trouble streaming youtube since its 720p. My internet is 21 mbps down and any computer or laptop can load the entire video super quick at 720p or even 1080p but my iphone needs to buffer every couple of seconds for just 720p. Ive used different youtube apps but that didnt help at all. Is there anything I can do that would fix this problem? Thanks for any help :)

aaronrs7

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Try watching it through safari. It will usually load faster. The old apple youtube app would do this to me all the time. But ever since I switched to the actual youtube app, the problem seems to have gone away.

Iphonehelp56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Try watching it through safari. It will usually load faster. The old apple youtube app would do this to me all the time. But ever since I switched to the actual youtube app, the problem seems to have gone away.

Ive tried doing this and it does work but it doesnt play in 720p. Ive been using it but if i can i would like the 720p with the youtube app or other youtube apps

----------

Im just trying to see if everyone is having buffering problems with youtube and 720p or if its just me and I need to do a restore

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
It's likely a wifi issue. Try it with wifi off and see if it improves. It seems some 5's have weak wifi performance.

Iphonehelp56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
It's likely a wifi issue. Try it with wifi off and see if it improves. It seems some 5's have weak wifi performance.

Just tried it and with LTE it buffers the video super quick so it is a wifi issue. 21 mbps should be way more than enough to buffer a video. Is there any fixes for this other than a replacement?

----------

but i can browse the internet and everything pretty quickly and faster than my old 4. it just seems youtube that is like this

----------

wifi does take a bit to find and will drop sometimes also

Last edited:

aaronrs7

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Ive tried doing this and it does work but it doesnt play in 720p. Ive been using it but if i can i would like the 720p with the youtube app or other youtube apps

----------

Im just trying to see if everyone is having buffering problems with youtube and 720p or if its just me and I need to do a restore

Yeah in order to view 720p in safari, you have to click HQ in the bottom left of the video before you hit play. When your on WIFI, it automatically enables HQ. Oddly enough I still haven't found away to enable high quality through the youtube app when not on wifi.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Just tried it and with LTE it buffers the video super quick so it is a wifi issue. 21 mbps should be way more than enough to buffer a video. Is there any fixes for this other than a replacement?

----------

but i can browse the internet and everything pretty quickly and faster than my old 4. it just seems youtube that is like this

----------

wifi does take a bit to find and will drop sometimes also

change your wifi encryption to wep.. if its not already.. Mine would run super slow on wpa2 but changing to wep fixed it.

If wep doesnt seem to work.. Make the security open..and hide your SSID so random people cant join it.

edit*

also have you updated to 6.0.1? I have read mixed reviews on it fixing this issue. I am still on 6.0 because im waiting for a Jailbreak... so i went with just changing my encryption to wep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.