Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Uplift
macrumors regular

This Device is Already Associated with an Apple ID. [iTunes Match]

Fired up my new ipad, flipped on iTunes match. 5 seconds later:

This Device is Already Associated with an Apple ID.
If you use iTunes Match with your Apple ID, you cannot use iTunes Match, auto-download or download past purchases with a different Apple ID for 90 days.

With an option to Transfer or Cancel?

I don't understand it, does the error even make sense "if you use itunes match, you cannot use itunes match" ??

I haven't clicked Transfer as i want to be able to download my stuff right away, not in 90-days.
Uplift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:46 AM   #2
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Sounds like your device is used and the previous owner used an iTunes account on it making it have a 90 day window for you to switch it. I would return it and ask for a new one.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplift View Post
Fired up my new ipad, flipped on iTunes match. 5 seconds later:

This Device is Already Associated with an Apple ID.
If you use iTunes Match with your Apple ID, you cannot use iTunes Match, auto-download or download past purchases with a different Apple ID for 90 days.

With an option to Transfer or Cancel?

I don't understand it, does the error even make sense "if you use itunes match, you cannot use itunes match" ??

I haven't clicked Transfer as i want to be able to download my stuff right away, not in 90-days.
Was this "new" iPad new from Apple or from a third party? Either way, you can have a look here to see if that helps and also contact Apple (and/or the third party, as bogatyr suggested).

As for the statement about iTunes Match, it should be read as:

Quote:
If you use iTunes Match with your Apple ID, you cannot use iTunes Match [...] with a different Apple ID for 90 days.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Uplift
macrumors regular

*******, i know whats happened.

When setting up the iPad you are asked to enter your iCloud details, which for me is @me.com ... this is NOT my iTunes ID that i use for purchases so i logged in to my purchases account for the store, but it doesn't like this cuz my ipad is associated with my other id.

******* you apple and your bad handling of IDs.

I'm phoning them tomorrow i want this sorting.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
*******, i know whats happened.

When setting up the iPad you are asked to enter your iCloud details, which for me is @me.com ... this is NOT my iTunes ID that i use for purchases so i logged in to my purchases account for the store, but it doesn't like this cuz my ipad is associated with my other id.

******* you apple and your bad handling of IDs.

I'm phoning them tomorrow i want this sorting.
Can you not just go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores > tap the Apple ID > tap on "Sign Out" > and then sign back in with the one you want to use to make purchases?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Uplift
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Can you not just go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores > tap the Apple ID > tap on "Sign Out" > and then sign back in with the one you want to use to make purchases?
Yes, but when i click on iTunes Match it shows the above error.

So basically, setting up my device with my iCloud ID, has blocked me from using my iTunes ID, which is absolutely retarded.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:40 PM   #7
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes, but when i click on iTunes Match it shows the above error.

So basically, setting up my device with my iCloud ID, has blocked me from using my iTunes ID, which is absolutely retarded.
I guess I can understand why they'd do this but hopefully they can help you sort it out when you contact them.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:07 AM   #8
Yptcn
macrumors 6502

I've bought a pass for a TV serie on my iPad ,the first episodes downloaded fine from the iPad .
I have different iCloud and iTunes IDs also.
When I wanted to download a new episode , I got basically the same error message the OP had.
No problem syncing it through iTunes though.
Yptcn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Lsu crazy
macrumors newbie

I believe I understand what it is saying. Idk if you figured it out yet, but it means that the device was registered to a different account and the device can't be switched or transferred to a different account for 90 days. Their wording is very annoying.

----------

I hit transfer and everything is working as it should now that my iPhone and ipad are on the same iTunes account. I was about to be very aggravated.
Lsu crazy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsu crazy View Post
I believe I understand what it is saying. Idk if you figured it out yet, but it means that the device was registered to a different account and the device can't be switched or transferred to a different account for 90 days. Their wording is very annoying.

----------

I hit transfer and everything is working as it should now that my iPhone and ipad are on the same iTunes account. I was about to be very aggravated.
That's actually not what it means since we're not discussing devices alone but are instead discussing devices associated with iTunes Match.

To my knowledge, any Apple device can be "switched" or "transferred" to any account at any time.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:23 AM   #11
youslippin
macrumors member

if anyone was still wondering about this, I contacted iTunes support and got this response:

----

Dear ****,

Welcome to iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is Alex and I am glad to help you today.

I understand that you are unable to access iTunes match using your iPad mini as it prompted to wait for 52 days. I am sure you are eager to get this resolved and I am happy to help you.

*****, we have released your old device from your Apple ID, you can now be able to associate your device and subscribe iTunes Match. Please try again.

If you are unable to access iTunes Match, Please reply to this email.

Thank you being an iTunes Store customer, *****. I hope this will resolve your issue. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Alex
iTunes Store Customer Support
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/
youslippin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:29 AM   #12
Macman45
macrumors G5

Sincei it's their own system that's at fault here, I'm glad you got sorted out. I've seen this happen too many times, particularly with newcomers to IOS. It really does need sorting out. I'm all for security, but surely a better method of checking can be implemented.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Del Piero
macrumors newbie

Work-around

Yesterday my son visited me and brought his brand new ipod with him. I transferred his purchased music to my itunes library. After that I wanted to download a few of my in the cloud albums/songs, and I got the '90 days' error.

What did I do to work around this:
1. sign out my apple id
2. change (windows) computer name
3. reboot pc
4. start iTunes
5. sign in my apple id
6. authorize my 'new' computer
7. download in the cloud purchases (voilą!!)

Note: after step 7 I changed back the computer name to its previous name just to be sure I won't run into license issues (ms office, etc.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	change pc name.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	480267  

Last edited by Del Piero; Sep 12, 2014 at 01:38 PM.
Del Piero is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services